PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bolchoļ theatr really worth it?

FJT
13-11-2010, 19:59
Hi Everybody!
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to polemicize. I just want your opinion on the Bolchoļ theatr. Is it worth a try or not, since I heard that the big auditorium was under repair?
Thanks!

ReallyGreatConcerts
13-11-2010, 20:09
Like any opera & ballet theatre, they have some shows which you might like more than others. Some of their recent productions have been utter *£%#, notably the new DON GIOVANNI. But some of the other productions (not only the classical ones, but also the avant-garde productions too) are excellent and really "worth it".

Don't forget that Moscow has many other full-time opera/ballet theatres showing excellent performances, for around half the price (or less) of the Bolshoi Theatre.

# Stanislavsky-Muzykalny
# Helikon Opera
# Russian Classical Ballet
# Novaya Opera
# Chamber Opera of B Pokrovsky
# Moscow Operetta Theatre

since I heard that the big auditorium was under repair?

Non-issue ;) Unless you were only going there to photograph yourself ;)

tvadim133
13-11-2010, 20:59
Ballet performances are great there still.

I would recommend Bohemia in Bolshoi, probably Carmen.

If you do not have anything against Prokofiev, try the opera "Lubov' k trem apelsinam", but it is ....well....not my opera (music).

"Evgeny Onegin".....I am too conservative probably...

Besides, Die Federmouse is quite strange ("Titanic" story but in the frame of comedy and Strauss Music). :)

"old" "Mazepa" and "Boris Godunov" are still my favourite (as far as I know, they perform them only in Bolshoi in Moscow).

ReallyGreatConcerts
13-11-2010, 21:16
"old" "Mazepa" and "Boris Godunov" are still my favourite (as far as I know, they perform them only in Bolshoi in Moscow).

Novaya Opera have a not-bad-at-all BORIS GODUNOV (http://novayaopera.ru/video_lib/videofilms/Godunov.wmv) (videoclip WMV) in their repertoire, it comes around from time-to-time, although not very frequently. It would suit lovers of very traditional productions :)

My favourite Helikon Opera has an astonishing MAZEPA which is a real example of the post-modern style of opera-direction. Personally I love it :) But not everyone does. Unfortunately you just missed it, and probably it won't be back now for a while.

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/003-9235.36rr.jpg

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/3057.jpg

And Helikon also have the only production in the world (!) of Shostakovich's completed edition of BORIS GODUNOV, which is worth 500R of anyone's money, I'd say ;)

BORIS GODUNOV,

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/2324e.jpg

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/2687e.jpg

Although in a modern idiom, it's a very classical production.

Well, almost... ;)

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/2197.jpg

And finally, to show how effective the purely traditional staging can be, here is outstanding Bolshoi Theatre tenor Maxim Paster showing "how it's done" in BORIS GODUNOV. Amazing stuff. Plus a tv interview with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUOAMqVUPk&feature=related

tvadim133
13-11-2010, 21:20
Thanks,... I realy forgot about New Opera's "Boris Godunov".

As for Helikon's "Mazepa", I just have not heard even.

ReallyGreatConcerts
13-11-2010, 21:32
As for Helikon's "Mazepa", I just have not heard even.

Let's go next time? :) But it may be 4-5 months now.

Meantime I bought my tickets for FORZA DEL DESTINO on 24th :) If it's crap, we will blame you ;)

tvadim133
13-11-2010, 21:36
Let's go next time? :) But it may be 4-5 months now.

Meantime I bought my tickets for FORZA DEL DESTINO on 24th :) If it's crap, we will blame you ;)

Do you always follow people's recommendation? :)

btw, last time I did my recommendtaion about Verter at the same theatre and was so sorry for that (could not sleep for about 3 nights and hoped that nobody from the site had gone to it, besides me).

I have not bough yet, but glad there are some tickets still.

ReallyGreatConcerts
13-11-2010, 22:47
Do you always follow people's recommendation? :)

Yes - if I can blame them later ;)

I very much like Verdi anyhow, and FORZA in particular - so I was pleased to see the mention of the performance! :) If you'll be there, we could have a drink in the interval? :)

tvadim133
13-11-2010, 22:53

I very much like Verdi anyhow, and FORZA in particular - so I was pleased to see the mention of the performance! :) If you'll be there, we could have a drink in the interval? :)

Let me first buy a ticket! :)

FJT
13-11-2010, 23:08
Thanks for your posts--nice pictures the way. You've convinced me I should go to both Bolchoļ teatr and Helikon opera. I'll definitely look for their Eugene Oneguine and Mazepa! Enjoy Forza del destino, I hope you won't be disappointed.

ReallyGreatConcerts
13-11-2010, 23:23
Thanks for your posts--nice pictures the way. You've convinced me I should go to both Bolchoļ teatr and Helikon opera. I'll definitely look for their Eugene Oneguine and Mazepa! Enjoy Forza del destino, I hope you won't be disappointed.

In addition to MAZEPA in Helikon (it's one of their older productions, conceived for their previous, smaller theatre building) I'd recommend their shows "THE MAN WHO FELL FROM THE SKY" (it's a kind of re-working of Prokofiev's Stalin-era opera STORY OF A REAL MAN - but with a radically-changed anti-Stalinist ending), and especially their "smash-hit" successes that have toured all over Europe, LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK, and (just for you from France!) THE DIALOGUES OF THE CARMELITES (Poulenc)

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/ladym2.jpg

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/4613.jpg

Ian G
14-11-2010, 00:10
Oh I remember that production of Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk- I saw it in the Helikon Opera theatre on Bolshaya Nikitskaya. That shiny leather sofa as a symbol of decadence. What a great opera! It was also a film, in the 1960s, under the name Ekaterina Izmailova.

AndreyS
14-11-2010, 00:19
In addition to MAZEPA in Helikon (it's one of their older productions, conceived for their previous, smaller theatre building) I'd recommend their shows "THE MAN WHO FELL FROM THE SKY" (it's a kind of re-working of Prokofiev's Stalin-era opera STORY OF A REAL MAN - but with a radically-changed anti-Stalinist ending), and especially their "smash-hit" successes that have toured all over Europe, LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK, and (just for you from France!) THE DIALOGUES OF THE CARMELITES (Poulenc)

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/ladym2.jpg

http://www.helikon.ru/img/wysiwyg/4613.jpg

Too lazy to read (in foreign language! LOL), but the pics are really impressive anyway!

stacy
14-11-2010, 02:45
Hi Everybody!
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to polemicize. I just want your opinion on the Bolchoļ theatr. Is it worth a try or not, since I heard that the big auditorium was under repair?
Thanks!

that's a good question. on international level it's worth to see Swan Lake and
Schelkunchik - out of regular performances. Bayaderka is good too - very complex ballet.
Opera - Evgeny Onegin only but depending who the lead singer is. Bolshoi is not good for opera, and it's reflected in the prices.

ReallyGreatConcerts
14-11-2010, 03:35
Oh I remember that production of Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk- I saw it in the Helikon Opera theatre on Bolshaya Nikitskaya. That shiny leather sofa as a symbol of decadence. What a great opera! It was also a film, in the 1960s, under the name Ekaterina Izmailova.

"Lady Mac" was infamously banned by Stalin in the 1930s. (Allegedly on his personal orders - an article called "Muddle, not Music!" appeared in Pravda condemning the piece... Stalin is believed to have been the author). The chopped-down version "Ekaterina Izmailova" was an attempt to get past the soviet censors, and it was passed - although rather reluctantly. They'd attacked Shostakovich's music - but it seems it was actually scenes in the plot that they disliked :( You can get the 1960s film version on DVD, starring Galina Vishnevskaya in the title role - the other roles are played by actors and voiced by unseen opera singers in the recording-studio later.

Benedikt
15-11-2010, 18:09
.as such, it is an whole evening experience.
Like in new York the 'Met',in Mailand the 'Scala' and in Vienna the 'Oper'. You make a whole evening out of it. take your time to get DRESSED,take a taxi to get there, most places have also restaurants (not the BUFFET where you get dry sandwiches and gas water) so you have dinner before or after the show.And make a whole enjoyable evening. it might happen, it rarely does, that the performance might not be up to what you expected, but the rest or the before of the evening will be something to remember for a long time.
And don't forget, the Bolschoi is culture and worth any money.
On the other hand, i can have a good time out at the theater operetta, where they play all the Strauss favorites, which i have seen over and over already, but each new season brings new nuances,new singers and actors and always worth an evening out as well. But NOT in jeans and an old sweater.

tvadim133
16-11-2010, 00:51
.. But NOT in jeans and an old sweater.

I agree! At least, smart casual!

ReallyGreatConcerts
16-11-2010, 01:01
Usually I expect the performers to dress up in costumes - not the audience :)

tvadim133
16-11-2010, 01:25
Usually I expect the performers to dress up in costumes - not the audience :)

:)

But on the other hand, audience is a part of the event and it is really nice, when people are "prepared"( dressed up).

I do not mean they need to follow a black tie dress code, but smth, which can make the event to be not usual.

To go to the opera in T-shirt and sport shoes is quite modern ( I saw such kind of people in Grand Opera, in Vienna Opera and sure, in Bolshoi).

But nevertheless, I was taught that clothes must be taken into consideration and can be considered even to be your attitude towards the situation.

It can be even offensive. For example: if you come to a funeral in bright red shorts!

alouette
16-11-2010, 01:30

bright red shorts!

Surely!

tvadim133
16-11-2010, 19:38

I have bough tickets finaly to the Forza (quite few tickets left)!

So hope to see there!

ReallyGreatConcerts
16-11-2010, 20:47
I have bough tickets finaly to the Forza (quite few tickets left)!

So hope to see there!

In the large new marble-floor atrium, for a drink in the interval(s) maybe? :) I'll be with my friend, but we're not having a private evening or anything - come and say hello? I will try my best to look like my forum pic :) And also welcome to any others who are going that evening? :)

FJT
17-11-2010, 19:51
Thanks everybody for all the additional information. I'll try to look my best whenever I go to the Helikon or the Bolchoļ. I understand that people want to have a unique evening, so they don't expect to see their next door neighboor in casual clothes, so to speak. As we say: l'habit fait le moine!
Once again enjoy Forza del Destino.

ReallyGreatConcerts
18-11-2010, 01:01
Thanks everybody for all the additional information. I'll try to look my best whenever I go to the Helikon or the Bolchoļ. I.

In fact Helikon is the intellectual opera-house in Moscow, and dressing up like a penguin to pose there is not required ;) Dress-code is entirely democratic.

xpucu
18-11-2010, 13:12
went to see a ballet there last night was brilliant! defo highly recommended :)

tvadim133
18-11-2010, 13:34
went to see a ballet there last night was brilliant! defo highly recommended :)

What ballet?

xpucu
18-11-2010, 18:46
esmeralda

Viola
23-11-2010, 14:10
Thanks everybody for all the additional information. I'll try to look my best whenever I go to the Helikon or the Bolchoļ. I understand that people want to have a unique evening, so they don't expect to see their next door neighboor in casual clothes, so to speak. As we say: l'habit fait le moine!
Once again enjoy Forza del Destino.

Frenh don't need to be warned about their appearance, they usually dress appropriately :)

Lana1
23-11-2010, 14:20
Yes, I think Bolshoi is worth it. Take a chance and go!