PDA

View Full Version : Newfie Canadian in Moscow!

Alee
09-11-2010, 19:13
Hi everyone,

I'm Amanda, 30/f and just moved to Moscow about 4 weeks ago with my Scottish boyfriend and wee Westie. :) I'm from St. John's, Newfoundland, and was living in Germany for 2 years before coming here. I've never lived in a city like this before - Moscow is pretty amazing! Never a dull moment that's for sure. I'm hoping to meet other expats like myself, and try to make it to one of the organised events. Nice to meet you in advance! :)

Cheers!

Amanda

Ian G
09-11-2010, 19:24
Well hello Amanda and welcome to the forum-and to Moscow. Whatever difficulties or frustrations this city throws at you, you'll find people here helpful.

FatAndy
09-11-2010, 19:30
Welcome to Moscow and Russian Federation, Amanda!
;)

martpark
09-11-2010, 19:39
Welcome, Amanda.
I've got family in NS and really like that area of the world.

Hope your stay in Moscow turns out fruitful.

Alee
10-11-2010, 09:14
Thanks for the welcome wishes. Nice to meet you! This site is brilliant and the info has been so helpful already.

@martpark, yes Atlactic Canada is beautiful. I'm going home for a few weeks at the end of the month. Can't wait! It will be so slow paced compared to here. I won't know what to do with myself. Lol

Cheers,
Amanda

Inola
10-11-2010, 22:40
I won't know what to do with myself.

I know - you'll be talking-talking-talking (giving answers to numerous questions of friends and family:))

Welcome to Moscow and to the forum

Regards,
Inna

tasel
10-11-2010, 23:42
Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum :) We would be happy to meet you :)

Nuyska
13-11-2010, 21:47
Hi, Amanda!
How are you doing?
Welcome to Moscow. I am ready to help you with organizing some events :)

Patricia Kennedy
13-11-2010, 22:11
Hi Amanda,
I am from Notre Dame Bay and my husband is from Gros Morne area. We have been here for two and a half years...would love to connect with you.

mattology
13-11-2010, 23:11
Hi Amanda,

welcome to Moscow! Funny, I just got back from vacation in Nova Scotia myself to have some "slow" weeks and catch loads of fresh air and beautiful nature. Really needed it after more than 2 years in Moscow in this fast-paced but exciting environment.

Hope to meet you soon on one of the expat meetings. I need some info about Newfoundland... as it surely is on my vacation plan for 2011 or 2012 :D ... I love Canada, it is definitely on 1st place of my most favorite countries.

Enjoy your stay!
Matt

Alee
20-11-2010, 13:38
Hi Amanda,
I am from Notre Dame Bay and my husband is from Gros Morne area. We have been here for two and a half years...would love to connect with you.

Hi Patricia! It's great to see fellow Newfoundlanders on this site. Nice to meet you! Yes, lets keep in touch! I'm going home at the end of the month for a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to that. Will you and your husband be staying in Moscow for Xmas? Hope you're having a good weekend! Cheers!

Alee
20-11-2010, 13:57
Hi Amanda,

welcome to Moscow! Funny, I just got back from vacation in Nova Scotia myself to have some "slow" weeks and catch loads of fresh air and beautiful nature. Really needed it after more than 2 years in Moscow in this fast-paced but exciting environment.

Hope to meet you soon on one of the expat meetings. I need some info about Newfoundland... as it surely is on my vacation plan for 2011 or 2012 :D ... I love Canada, it is definitely on 1st place of my most favorite countries.

Enjoy your stay!
Matt

Hey Matt, Thanks! I bet you had such a nice relaxing vacation in Canada. Where are you from? I'm looking forward to a few slow weeks in Newfoundland at the end of the month with family and friends. I'm saying that now - after day 3 I'll be dying to get back to busy Moscow!

If you liked Nova Scotia, you would love Newfoundland. All the Canadian Atlantic provinces are beautiful and the people are amazing! Hope you do get a chance to visit NL someday. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Cheers!

GaNozri
20-11-2010, 14:30
Welcome to Moscow, hey!
My first stop in Canada was Gander, Nfld, where I asked for political asylum in 1988. The first thing I was told by an RCMP officer was "welcome to Canada, Sir." So, I stayed for almost 10 years. Still own property in London, ON.
I love Canada!
GO LEAFS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Armoured
21-11-2010, 11:31
Welcome to Moscow, hey!
My first stop in Canada was Gander, Nfld, where I asked for political asylum in 1988. The first thing I was told by an RCMP officer was "welcome to Canada, Sir." So, I stayed for almost 10 years. Still own property in London, ON.
I love Canada!
GO LEAFS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you spent time in Gander, even if not for long, you may enjoy the Vinyl Cafe's show recorded there - lots on the history of the place. I think you can get the podcast through iTunes for free.

vinylcafe.com/vinylcafe/shows.php?vShowID=1285

And if you don't have time for that, at least have a listen to the Once.

youtube.com/watch?v=5bfkzKHeoBY

Welcome. (Sorry for poor links, system won't let me post links as too new)

world traveller
23-11-2010, 10:24
Hi Amanda,

great to see other mums here on the forum. Hope we can get together and organize something fun. We have relocated here from Prague, but with my husband's job we are... well, all over the world... I've got two little ones- a boy (2.5) and a girl (4).

Olga