PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Rochester New York

skitchin
13-06-2007, 10:16
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently new to this Expat forum since I will be an Expat myself soon. I'm currently in the process of moving to Moscow in the fall. I'm curious if anyone can advice me about finding work in Moscow since I have degree in Computer Science from Rochester Institute of Technology. I'm currently working as a Software Engineer at a communication firm in Rochester. I have basic Russian language skills but I would be more comfortable working at western company in Moscow where English language is the norm.

The reason why I'm moving to Moscow is that I'm going to marry a Russian woman whom I have been acquainted with for over a year. She and I decided that we will stay in Russia for 5 to 7 years or longer. I will appreciate it if anyone can give me advices especially what type of visa I will need in order to obtain permanent residency and to find work. I'm not looking for work permit since I will be seeking permanent residency once I move there.

Many thanks,
skitchin

Clean32
13-06-2007, 19:59
welcome

ok i assume you have all the details re visa etc etc.

get stuck in to getting your visa sorted as soon as you get here as it takes about 6-9 months and then theres a 1 - 3 year pobationary period. if you know all this then cool if not ask.

cheers

skitchin
13-06-2007, 20:42
Does it matter which visa I will need in order to apply for permanent residency? Will I be allowed to find a job while I have temporary resident registration?

Clean32
13-06-2007, 23:08
As i know it, its been some time since i have had to go though the hoops.
I take it you are coming to moscow with the intention to get married, you cant do your temp residency before that

What you need
A sponsor ( your wife) some one who owns where you are going to live and is prepared to take responsibility for you.
Your Rap sheet Apposed and translated
$47 000 USD in the bank, some times they want it in a local bank

A shit load of medical tests from Aids to some old bat having a poke at the family jewels etc done local

I donít know Moscow but from what I have been told its a few days of waiting in queue and traveling around.

I assume you are coming over on an invitation what are your plans for when the invitation visa runs out and your Temp res is ready to be picked up ?

As for employment you should be ok in the IT industry, Just donít think you are better than the locals!! Learn Russian Fast.
You are allowed to work on a temp res visa but remember as you are not a native so the company has to get for you a work permit. In short the company has to get approval for you to work for them, no big deal just more paper work. Visa + permit

Make sure your drivers license isnít about to expire and get new visa cards before you leave ATMs work ok

skitchin
13-06-2007, 23:46
Will I have to leave Russia while my work permit is being processed after being offered a job in Moscow?

Surok
14-06-2007, 08:17
Will I have to leave Russia while my work permit is being processed after being offered a job in Moscow?

No. Probably not. What usually happens is that if you're over here and get a job, and the company is willing to get you a work permit, you'll work 'unofficially' until your work permit and work visa come through. Once you have your work permit, you will have to leave the country to get your work visa.

But: employing foreigners is a pain in the ass for Russian companies. They have to be accredited to employ foreigners, which takes a whole load of time and paperwork. A lot of companies don't want to do this, and while they may give you a job, they will have you working on a non-working ('business' visa). This is illegal.

That's why unless you've got a very specific skill set, an employer will normally go with a Russian. Have a think about what you can do that a local can't.

skitchin
14-06-2007, 10:15
Am I better off looking for work with a contracting agency in Moscow? I'm trying to figure out the best way to establish my life in Russia with my future Ukrainian wife. She does not have Russian permanent residency but she's working on it now. I know it will be a while before I will be allowed to file paperwork for permanent residency. How about owning a real estate property and will that make the residency process much easier?

I realize that many companies in Moscow will mostly hire locals to avoid dealing with so much bureaucratic paperworks. What I'm currently doing is looking at the websites of American companies in Moscow and applying for job openings. I know this is a long shot. Do you know any agency in Moscow that I could contact in regards to software engineering jobs? I know many companies in Moscow pay under-the-table and there is no personal income taxes, am I correct?

I appreciate your advices that you can give me so I can plan accordingly for my arrival in Russia.

Surok
14-06-2007, 10:29
I realize that many companies in Moscow will mostly hire locals to avoid dealing with so much bureaucratic paperworks. What I'm currently doing is looking at the websites of American companies in Moscow and applying for job openings. I know this is a long shot. Do you know any agency in Moscow that I could contact in regards to software engineering jobs? I know many companies in Moscow pay under-the-table and there is no personal income taxes, am I correct?

I appreciate your advices that you can give me so I can plan accordingly for my arrival in Russia.

There are some recruitment agencies around, but as far as I know, they tend to focus on Russians. I don't know of any specifically IT related agencies.

Applying for jobs with Western companies is a good idea, but again - why should they want to hire you, rather than a Russian?

As for paying under the table, and no personal income tax - yes, some companies will do this. However, the government is becoming more and more strict with regard to visas and employment, and if you are planning to apply for residency, I think it would be wise to make sure you are in full accordance with the law. A company that is willing to give you a work permit will also (almost certainly) be in compliance with taxation law.

Your best bet - save some money, and get yourself over here. Contacts you make will be invaluable when it comes to job-hunting.

Clean32
14-06-2007, 10:50
Your wife is not a russian citizen, that changes every thing, go for a bussness visa

get over here 3 months max
get a job
get a bussness visa ( thay can only be issued out side of russia)
come back get work permit

Make sure you are registerd, i asume your wife is Renting, she should ask her landlord if he/she is preperd to register you. if not then she will have to move to an appartment with a landlord who will, then thay have you by the B**s
even better is she owns an appartment.
i doint know about you being able to buy on a visitours visa

If you want to be here for some time do it all legal Russian Legal and thats a job in itsself

LEARN RUSSIAN start now

Smarty
17-06-2007, 01:35
Hope these links will help you to find a job in Russia:

http://www.spenglerfox.com
http://brainpower.ru
http://hh.ru/

Good luck!

Kokomo
23-07-2007, 00:39
hi skitchn,.
are you in moscow already? enjoy it :)

skitchin
23-07-2007, 00:54
I'm currently back in New York for two month. I will return to Moscow in October. I have some unfinished businesses here in the States. I enjoy being in Moscow but I wouldn't want to live in the city center with all pollutions, traffic jam and skyrocket prices for everything. I've been in Moscow Oblast and its very nice there.

Andrei Garden
12-08-2007, 17:14
I will return to Moscow in October. I have some unfinished businesses here in the States. I enjoy being in Moscow I've been in Moscow Oblast and its very nice there.

And I can be your wedding photographer!:watching: