PDA

View Full Version : Babies, visas and passports!

mk1976
27-07-2005, 15:52
As things stand, my newborn-daughter can't leave the country. She was born here in Moscow. I'm an American and my husband is Russian. We got her her American Passport w/ no problems and decided to skip her Russian citizenship. This, we've been told, is not so easy. We have to go to court to denounce citizenship??? BUT, the OVIR won't put her name in my husband's passport bc I'm registered in a different place than my husband is! !?!?!
She has an American passport, but they are refusing to issue her an exit visa (since one of the parents is Russian). This is a big problem since my visa expires this weekend and she's breastfed. I can't leave her and go some where and I can't take her w/ me.
We are currenly in the process of getting her in my dh's passport, but it's been a big hassle and trying to extend my visa! If one of those things fall through, we're in for some big problems. Anyone else experience anything like this?

J.D.
27-07-2005, 16:39
Have you called the Citizens Services Center at the US embassy?

tcbymoscow
27-07-2005, 22:08
We are currenly in the process of getting her in my dh's passport, but it's been a big hassle and trying to extend my visa! If one of those things fall through, we're in for some big problems. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Sounds like this is the right way to go, as hard as it is to deal with all the authorities.

Are you using an agency or trying to handle it yourselves? We've had a visa agency handling all our visa/passport issues for the past 7 years and he has done wonders for giving us lots of peace-of-mind when in the midst of one of these Catch-22 situations with the Russian authorities (we've had several, but not your exact situation).

Last year, I was able to get my Russian visa extended for a few weeks (don't remember exactly how long) so I know that is possible.

You can always take your little nursling with you when you go to visit the authorities (even if your husband is actually handling the situation). It often helps to use a mother & baby as a "visual aid" with these bureaucrats. We've gotten exceptionally fast resolutions to issues when I had a baby-in-arms! I'd never dream of stooping to this in the U.S., but here it's just a survival thing.

tgma
16-06-2007, 11:35
My daughter was born here, we signed a piece of paper that renounced her Russian citizenship, got an exit visa (never heard about the problem with husband and wife registered in different places), and had to get a visa for her every year.
We got sick of this, so we just went back and got her made Russian. This involved queueing up at the local OVIR, where there was a special section for questions of children under 14. We signed a declaration that we had not applied for foreign citizenship, and presented all our documents, and got my daughter into my wife's passport, and some sort of piece of paper that says she is Russian.
I would advise you to do this - you will waste a morning at the OVIR (both parents should be there) and you need a lot of paper copies of all birth certificates, of the Russian parent's passport, a notarised translation of the foreign parent's passport, and a declaration. And you need to pay RUR 1000 at the local Sberbank. All this was written on the wall on the local OVIR, or you can discuss this with the crowd of people you will meet there, who are in a similar situation.

Clean32
16-06-2007, 12:46
OK I cant help you with what you should do but I can cover what you should have done

Why renounce Russian citizenship?? There is no advantage to doing this, if your child was born in Russia they are Russian in the eyes of Russian law. All Russians who gain another citizenship are still regarded as Russians by Russia regardless. Unless they return to Russia go to court to renounce there citizenship. But thereís a catch in that aw well. Russian law if you are born in Russia you must travel to Russia and exit Russia on a Russian passport PERIOD.
Note it says Born in Russia not Russian citizen.
Second, you decided to skip the Russian citizenship paper work, so you have just broken the Law!! Your baby is Russian citizen because your baby was born here; not doing the paperwork is seen as a default of duty. The law says you have to do the paper work.

Having said all that you baby is a Russian citizen regardless you just donít have the paper work

Register at a different address as your husband SSHHHH what a mistake that was.

So the picture you have painted for the Russian authorities is that you and your husband are separated and you will to leave Russia with a Russian baby probably never to return??

Could A American Baby leave the USA with a Russian citizen?? I think Not.

What Visa are you on any way, have you started to do your Temp res visa.
A possible answer is for your husband to do an Invitation and you skip out to Norway or Holland and do another visa there and come back, with a bit of planning you could be back in a couple of days

Do the Russian citizen paper work ( its not citizen it registration OF a RUSSIN citizen)
Get your Baby a Russian passport
Get marriage cert. birth cert. Apposed and translated ( to keep with you when traveling)

Its is all easy if you do it the correct way first time (apart from the lines )

Lost American
17-06-2007, 21:50
As things stand, my newborn-daughter can't leave the country. She was born here in Moscow. I'm an American and my husband is Russian. We got her her American Passport w/ no problems and decided to skip her Russian citizenship. This, we've been told, is not so easy. We have to go to court to denounce citizenship??? BUT, the OVIR won't put her name in my husband's passport bc I'm registered in a different place than my husband is! !?!?!
She has an American passport, but they are refusing to issue her an exit visa (since one of the parents is Russian). This is a big problem since my visa expires this weekend and she's breastfed. I can't leave her and go some where and I can't take her w/ me.
Why would you NOT want her to have Russian Citizenship? With both She can travel the WORLD!!! Let it be her choice, to me you are being selfish.

J.D.
17-06-2007, 23:17
I wouldn't rely too much on Clean32's information. While I am not an expert on Russian law (I even suspect that it is not possible to be an expert on Russian law) my experience with my son has been rather different.

Clean32 loses even more credibility with the references to the U.S.

For your information C32, no exit visa is required to leave the U.S. Not even a passport is required to leave the U.S.

granit
19-06-2007, 01:08
Please look at the date of the original message.

salmoxis
31-10-2007, 16:07
hey - i have a similar situation and was look for recent examples or advice...basically, down at OVIR they want to stamp the back of my baby's birth certificate with a stamp that says her parents (me: US, mom:Rus) declare her REALLY a Russian citizen. They won't write her name into mom's passport until we do this...is this going to hamper my daughter's US Citizenship acquisition? my idea was to get her a US passport, take her out of russia on that and into the us, and then return her via her name in mum's passport...or will this not work? Does any one know if the moscow US embassy accepts notarized copies of the babies docs or only the originals? Your swift reply is appreciated, dear expat friends...we'd like our baby to be able to go in and out...and will she require an exit visa if she's written into her mom's zagran passport?

your help is greatly appreciated.

Sean Quirk
Kyzyl, Republic of Tuva

Packman
01-11-2007, 17:54
hey - i have a similar situation and was look for recent examples or advice...basically, down at OVIR they want to stamp the back of my baby's birth certificate with a stamp that says her parents (me: US, mom:Rus) declare her REALLY a Russian citizen. They won't write her name into mom's passport until we do this...is this going to hamper my daughter's US Citizenship acquisition? my idea was to get her a US passport, take her out of russia on that and into the us, and then return her via her name in mum's passport...or will this not work? Does any one know if the moscow US embassy accepts notarized copies of the babies docs or only the originals? Your swift reply is appreciated, dear expat friends...we'd like our baby to be able to go in and out...and will she require an exit visa if she's written into her mom's zagran passport?

your help is greatly appreciated.

Sean Quirk
Kyzyl, Republic of Tuva

Simply apply for a Russian Zagran passport for the kid. Don't put in the mothers passport since she would not be able to leave the country without her. If she has her own Russian Zagran, and US passport, you could take her out without exit visa and requirement that the mother must travel with the kid out of the country.

nerissa
09-11-2007, 23:13
if your child was born in Russia they are Russian in the eyes of Russian law. All Russians who gain another citizenship are still regarded as Russians by Russia regardless.

Is there anyway someone could clarify whether any child even born to 2 American parents is still Russian if born on Russian soil?

fco1922
13-11-2007, 10:00
As people on this forum know, I've had problems taking my daughter out of Russia. She, too, was caught in this passport dilemma. However, Catch 32 makes a number of serious mis-statements:

(1) If you renounce your Russian citizenship, you will need to enter on a visa. The law says a Russian CITIZEN must enter on a Russian passport, but once you have renounced your citizenship, this does not apply. Clean32's comments make no sense. Thousands of former citizens enter on visas each year.

(2) It is not strictly true that Russians must enter on Russian passports. The law says that but Russian embassies do grant visas on the foreign passports of Russian citizens (where they hold dual citizenship). My daughter has one. In practice, the consulate in London asks no questions.

(3) As for the US, an "American" child can most certainly leave with a Russian parent. All that matters is that they both hold passports. Many children hold different passports from their parents.

Turning to other matters...

If your child was born here, the easiest thing to do is have her birth certificate stamped to say that she is a Russian citizen. You and your husband should go to the passport section of your militia and complete this formality. She can then get a passport.

As for registration, we registered my daughter in my wife's flat even though I am registered elsewhere. All I needed do was sign I form saying I did not object to this. The law states that the child of a Russian citizen MUST be registered. Just keep going back.

As for renouncing your child's Russian citizenship, ordinarily a parent cannot renounce a child's citizenship. When you child is 16, she can execute a renunciation declaration in any Russian Embassy.

One thing: don't bother calling your Embassy. They will be zero help. If in a real fix, contact an immigration attorney or one of the many services/agents in Moscow. PM me if you have any further questions. I've been there.

fco1922
13-11-2007, 10:01
Is there anyway someone could clarify whether any child even born to 2 American parents is still Russian if born on Russian soil?

In such a case, your child is not Russian. Russian law requires at least one parent to be a Russian citizen. Birth on Russian territory does not confer citizenship, just as it doesn't in many European countries.