PDA

View Full Version : Egypt bombings

tbill
23-07-2005, 19:04
Has anyone been to any of these places (http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050723/2005-07-23T124308Z_01_N23523282_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-EGYPT-EXPLOSIONS-DC.html) ? I was thinking of taking my wife to Egypt for vacation but not now. How is the weather in Turkey in October?

Moscow Wolf
23-07-2005, 19:16
October is the end of the season in Turkey although the weather should still be nice enough. Anyway Turkey is also a Muslim country and no less susceptible than anywhere else these days to a possible terrorist attack.

Your chances of being killed or maimed in a terrorist incident are still very miniscule unless you choose to go on holidays to Chechnaya or similar. Sharma has numerous 3, 4 and 5 star hotels, of which the latter you really don't need to go out of during a two weeks holiday. As scary as it might be, you shouldn't let the barstewards get the upper hand by making you go elsewhere. The Egyptians have a reasonable record in dealing with terrorists, they have to do something positive as tourism is a major part of the country's foreign income.

tbill
23-07-2005, 19:55
Wolfie,

I would love to be contrarian and go to Egypt looking for some bargains but I won't risk my wife. She has had enough near death experiences this year.

Moscow Wolf
23-07-2005, 20:06
Leave her at home then! wink. But, is Moscow or for that matter, any other part of Russia any less dangerous.

equalizer
23-07-2005, 20:08
Has anyone been to any of these places (http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050723/2005-07-23T124308Z_01_N23523282_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-EGYPT-EXPLOSIONS-DC.html) ? I was thinking of taking my wife to Egypt for vacation but not now. How is the weather in Turkey in October?
just back and will go back ,lovely place however the locals were a little ruder than usual this year i even recall being a bit pissed off that although there was 15 0r more police and army at the road stop, only one guy was checking the cars , the rest were all smoking or playing cards.
however would recommend my hotel as the security on the entrance was top notch and there was always armed chaps at the entrance to the hotel.
see ritz carlton and the resort at sharmelsheik
as for turkey i went to belek last year and it was great all inclusive hotel called ic santai you can check the web

yankee@moscow
23-07-2005, 20:15
I've been to Hurghada and Cairo. The Sphinx and pyramids were worth the trip, and the Red Sea was pretty cool. However, in general, Egypt is a nasty dirty place with merchants chasing you around trying to pry as much money as possible out of you. I'll never go back! If you want an awesome relaxing beach vacation, check out the Maldives. It was one of the best vacations that I've ever had. There are 2 direct flights a week from Moscow to Male on a 767 boeing. I highly recommend it!

trebor
23-07-2005, 20:25
I've been to Hurghada and Cairo. The Sphinx and pyramids were worth the trip, and the Red Sea was pretty cool. However, in general, Egypt is a nasty dirty place with merchants chasing you around trying to pry as much money as possible out of you. I'll never go back!.....

yankee,
i'm rarely happy generalizing about nationalities but you are spot on.
Egypt is a facinating country...................BUT its full of Egyptians! :)

PHolmes
24-07-2005, 01:24
I am also thinking of visiting these spots. It is cheaper now since GF has become the Ex GF. I heard that they are build replica of the Great Library in Alexandria which is worth the wait. So I am thinking of Turkey in October. You have to understand that I lived in Northern Canada and Moscow is warm in winter for me. I got strange looks walking around with my jacket open at -15 C.

Anyways back at the game, I would check to see if the Great Library project is completed, because this would be totally cool to see.

enrico palazzo
24-07-2005, 08:51
I would check to see if the Great Library project is completed, because this would be totally cool to see.

looks like it's finished

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliotheca_Alexandrina