PDA

View Full Version : Swissotel restaurants/bars

jheisel
20-07-2005, 14:07
Just curious if anyone has gone to the Swissotel's bars/restaurants yet, and if so, what they thought -- prices, quality, etc. The Paveletskaya area SORELY needs more places to go eat, so I am hoping something good comes of this...

CaveMan
20-07-2005, 14:48
Hi...

We have only 2 bars and all day dining open, I suggest you should come and try but be open minded as this is the 3rd day of operation.

Full product will be open by September,

If you are planning to come, let me know...

jheisel
20-07-2005, 14:49
Do you have a business lunch option? How much is it?

CaveMan
20-07-2005, 14:58
Yes we have....

In Cafe Suisse, RUB850 including VAT

jheisel
20-07-2005, 15:01
That's a pricy option, but I understand the surroundings/etc. What does that include? I may have to come check it out Friday or next week...

moscowmail
20-07-2005, 15:01
Yes we have....

In Cafe Suisse, RUB850 including VAT

Sounds kinda fun...

Ermm what about an TGI Friday day.. can we come and get slaughtered there :)

jheisel
20-07-2005, 15:13
Also, do you have Sunday brunch?

P.I.M.P.
20-07-2005, 15:29
What's the teacup-shaped restaurant on top going to be like?

Curious, because our company has the rights to the Sedmoya Nebo restaurant levels on Ostankono TV Tower for pretty much a decade and still can't figure out what to do with them.

The fire dept. has refused to allow any open flame sources so we'd have to shuttle food up and down the freight elevator from the kitchen at the base of the tower. Logistical nightmare for any restaurant.

Anyway, I told my boss it wouldn't be interesting as a restaurant considering Swissotel should be able to provide better views of the center IN the center rather than trekking it out to Ostankino...

trebor
20-07-2005, 17:25
..........The fire dept. has refused to allow any open flame sources so we'd have to shuttle food up and down the freight elevator from the kitchen at the base of the tower. Logistical nightmare for any restaurant.

Why don't you use electric? There are even electric woks on the market these days.

CaveMan
20-07-2005, 17:27
Top will be a bar called 'CitySpace' not open until September though

OutCider
20-07-2005, 17:41
So when do the discount cards start being given out? :verycool:

:vader:

Lled
20-07-2005, 17:45
Outlets:
Design is very contemporary throughout the hotel without appearing too cold. Anyone who wishes to visit, PM me and I will be happy to oblige.

Concerto Restaurant (not yet open - watch this space) & Bar for lunch and dinner. This is an upmarket Italian restaurant with a show kitchen.

Cafe Suisse (open) - all day dining with specialities from all over

Lightbar (open) - Lobby style bar with stylish snacks

City Space (not yet open) - as mentioned before it's the funny looking UFO on the top. It will feature some 60-70 different vodkas plus cigars and high-end dishes (snacks and otherwise)

Anyone who is interested - from September/October there will probably be 2 brunches, one at the top in CitySpace and the other in Cafe Suisse

P.I.M.P.
20-07-2005, 17:47
Why don't you use electric? There are even electric woks on the market these days.

Our partner, the GUP that is in charge of the tower (which is a strategic gov't property) insists that one of the levels be a world-class restaurant suitable for visits by heads of state. We've run this by all of the major restauranteurs in town (Novikov et al) and none of them will touch it with that kind of kitchen system.

trebor
20-07-2005, 19:01
Our partner, the GUP that is in charge of the tower (which is a strategic gov't property) insists that one of the levels be a world-class restaurant suitable for visits by heads of state. We've run this by all of the major restauranteurs in town (Novikov et al) and none of them will touch it with that kind of kitchen system.

The regulations regarding the use of gas in Russia are very strict.
Obviously the tank has to be located outside but also has to be buried, I was informed.
All the restaurant kitchens i have worked in Moscow had electric ranges and
that includes a few famous ones. Most chefs prefer gas over electric.
The only disadvantage with electric over gas is the heat cannot be controlled instantly (with electric it takes longer for the ring to heat up/cool down) This is avoided by keeping different rings at different temperatures.
Absolutely no reason why a world class restaurant could not operate with electric. Installation is cheaper and its cleaner to use.
There must be a comunication problem somewhere.

Braders
20-07-2005, 20:00
can we come and get slaughtered there :)

Don't beat around the bush Len! ;)

P.I.M.P.
20-07-2005, 21:41
The regulations regarding the use of gas in Russia are very strict.
Obviously the tank has to be located outside but also has to be buried, I was informed.
All the restaurant kitchens i have worked in Moscow had electric ranges and
that includes a few famous ones. Most chefs prefer gas over electric.
The only disadvantage with electric over gas is the heat cannot be controlled instantly (with electric it takes longer for the ring to heat up/cool down) This is avoided by keeping different rings at different temperatures.
Absolutely no reason why a world class restaurant could not operate with electric. Installation is cheaper and its cleaner to use.
There must be a comunication problem somewhere.

Trebor,

We were told by the GUP, neighborhood fire dept. officials, and others that the only heating elements that can be used up there are hot lamp stations to keep food warm. They are very anal about this, to the point where they will hold on to client's lighters while they visit the observation decks and restaurants. It also doesn't help that they'll take down the passport details of every single visitor... doesn't make for a relaxed environment.

trebor
21-07-2005, 00:20
Trebor,

We were told by the GUP, neighborhood fire dept. officials, and others that the only heating elements that can be used up there are hot lamp stations to keep food warm. They are very anal about this, to the point where they will hold on to client's lighters while they visit the observation decks and restaurants. It also doesn't help that they'll take down the passport details of every single visitor... doesn't make for a relaxed environment.

P.I.M.P,
okay, i now understand.
But that's a little different from saying "The fire dept. has refused to allow any open flame sources" because an electric cooking range is not an open flame source.
Anyway, best of luck with that one! :)

Benedikt
21-07-2005, 15:51
.. i was told moscow's bylaws are very simple.
if you are opening a restaurant and there is an existing gasline, it is ok. but no new lines are to be laid and definitely no gasbottles in the yard, next to the oven or in the basement...
by the way, new generation electroplates heat up from '0' to '6' (full heat) in less than 2 minutes. it is more a job of the executive chef to teach and instruct his staff, that new equipment does NOT have to run on full power all day long.....
doo i prefer gas or electric. ideal in a kitchen is gas, electric and steam. sofar in moscow i always had to settle for the last two as we never got permission to install a gasrange.
p.s: i don't know if this is true or hearsay. but i was told that at the mesh hotel the chinese chef, who wanted / needed gas and got bottles, had to sign a paper that he was to be held PERSONALLY liable for any damage if it should occur, if his gasbottles will blow up or something like that.

trebor
21-07-2005, 19:45
.. i was told moscow's bylaws are very simple.
if you are opening a restaurant and there is an existing gasline, it is ok. but no new lines are to be laid and definitely no gasbottles in the yard, next to the oven or in the basement...
by the way, new generation electroplates heat up from '0' to '6' (full heat) in less than 2 minutes. it is more a job of the executive chef to teach and instruct his staff, that new equipment does NOT have to run on full power all day long.....
doo i prefer gas or electric. ideal in a kitchen is gas, electric and steam. sofar in moscow i always had to settle for the last two as we never got permission to install a gasrange.
p.s: i don't know if this is true or hearsay. but i was told that at the mesh hotel the chinese chef, who wanted / needed gas and got bottles, had to sign a paper that he was to be held PERSONALLY liable for any damage if it should occur, if his gasbottles will blow up or something like that.

Benedict,
you are obsolutely right. Installing gas in Moscow is a nightmare!
Did that Chinese guy realy sign away his future for the right to "wok" in peace? :)

Benedikt
22-07-2005, 09:51
...trebor that was quite a few years back, i only know the chef got his woks with gasbottles. and did he 'wok' happily ever after?
until this day there never was an incident at the meshdunarodnaya hotel ( where the restaurant was / is situated..)