PDA

View Full Version : who knows the latest on residency

J.D.
14-07-2005, 21:26
I am tired of the visa process. I've heard that residency now comes with a ten year multi-entry visa. Does anybody have any details or better yet first hand experience with the latest procedure?

Mr. Coffee
17-07-2005, 17:10
I have been trying to obtain residency / vid na zhitelstvo for several years now and I finally got through the system this year in the spring. Unfortunately for me, my attempt still failed.

There is hope, though.

If you are married to a Russian, you need to go to your spouse's passport control office and speak to the officer in charge of residency / citizenship. Basically, they will present you with a list of requirements that you have to fullfill before you can really make an application.

The main hurdles are legal employment and property requirements. If you do not have legal employment (the folks ther will not report you if you don't - it's not their department) you can waive the requirement by having a specified sum in a local bank account - something like $6,000.00 or the equivalent in roubles. This will have to be verifiable. The property requirements are more sticky - you can't really fake it. You or your spouse have to own at least a one room apartment in Moscow (or the city in which you want to apply for residency). Kommunalki are no longer accepted as a valid form of private property, even if they are privatized. This is where we failed to make the grade.

There is a host of other little requirements, most notable being a huge barrage of medical tests to prove you don't have a number of nasty diseases. This could feasably be dealt with in the proper Russian fashion for nominal fees in the right butter dishes, but the brave can also take the tests - a good way to GET a host of diseases you are trying to prove your don't have - especially TB - it is widely known that the best place to get it is by going to the TB hospital here in Moscow.

There is a wierd requirement for an official statement from your local police commissioner in your homwtown (home country) which vouches that you have never been to jail. An appendix with an authorized seal from your former 3rd grade teacher as a character witness would also be appropriate here.

There is a language test for people who get over these bumps, but I'm toild it is very easy and you needn't be fluent or anything. The Pushkin Philological Institute even has summer courses for those wanting to get ready for the exam (written and oral parts).

If all this goes well, you will be ok'ed to apply for a temporary residency permit, which you should get barring natural disasters (they do happen). This is good for three years and can be renewed fairly easily. After having this for 1 year, however, you can take the next step and apply for vid na zhitelstvo, or a residency permit. This takes a while to get, but the requirements are no more difficult than the temporary permit. It is good for ten years and can be extened.

The residency permit is a prerequisite for citizenship, by the way, but for western expats, the residency permit has all the clout you will need for working, going in and out of Russia and the rest.

Good luck on your quest. I hope other people with more (updated/ accurate) information also post.

Judge
17-07-2005, 22:11
Same here,i'm getting bored of visa runs..I'll be trying for temporary residency permit this year.Thanks for the info Mr. Coffee..

jl321
18-07-2005, 22:24
Think twice about it.

See my post in this folder "16-hour Detainment at Domodedovo" for just one example of why I say so.

Had the site not been hacked a while ago you could have searched and found threads with many more issues with temp residency laws too.

I have temp residency and I would not go this route again if I had it to do all over again.

tgma
19-07-2005, 10:56
My understanding, mainly from this site, is that multi-entry visas are no longer available for those with a temporary residency permit. This removes a lot of the attraction for me - it will be just as cheap, and easy for me to get visas once a year for myself and my children.

I hate doing this, but it looks like the temporary residency is another classic bureaucratic foul-up by the Russians - someone senior implements a relatively sensible policy, and the people lower down kill it by adding a bunch of red tape that completely distorts the original intention. It was the same when they decided to allow people in without visas, for up to three days - that was killed by the bureaucracy as well.

jl321
19-07-2005, 13:28
My understanding, mainly from this site, is that multi-entry visas are no longer available for those with a temporary residency permit. This removes a lot of the attraction for me - it will be just as cheap, and easy for me to get visas once a year for myself and my children.

I hate doing this, but it looks like the temporary residency is another classic bureaucratic foul-up by the Russians - someone senior implements a relatively sensible policy, and the people lower down kill it by adding a bunch of red tape that completely distorts the original intention. It was the same when they decided to allow people in without visas, for up to three days - that was killed by the bureaucracy as well.

Right - No mulitple entry visas for temp residents.

You are absolutely correct on the rest!!!!!

eastmarch
19-07-2005, 13:48
Right - No mulitple entry visas for temp residents.

You are absolutely correct on the rest!!!!!

So, this is confirmed? Is this policy -- as in, they've officially eliminated a category of visa that used to exist and have no immediate plans to reinstate it -- or is it just that no one has been able to get something that is theoretically available but, like so many other things, unobtainable in practice? Clearly, if you have to apply for a visa every time you exit/enter the country, then there's not much point in residency...

jl321
19-07-2005, 17:30
So, this is confirmed? Is this policy -- as in, they've officially eliminated a category of visa that used to exist and have no immediate plans to reinstate it -- or is it just that no one has been able to get something that is theoretically available but, like so many other things, unobtainable in practice? Clearly, if you have to apply for a visa every time you exit/enter the country, then there's not much point in residency...

Yes - it is confirmed. Many have said it, but people seem to still doubt it. For anyone that still doubts it - by all means try for yourself. If you are successful, then please enlighten the rest of us on how you get it. I personally have argued this point multiple times with various levels of the government. The answer has never waivered from single use exit/entry visas being required for temp residents. By the way, although the text is open to interpretation, this is basically supported by what is in print as well if you care to look up the regulations.

There are advantages to having temp residency, but there are disadvantages too. Like I said earlier I don't recommend it unless you are determined to get a Vid na Zhitalstvo, which is where the real advantage is (no visas needed at all). Temp residency is required as a first step for that.