PDA

View Full Version : Russian-American girl lost in Moscow!

Alice007
07-10-2010, 01:57
Hi! I have been living in the USA and Europe most of my life and now I feel like a total foreigner in Moscow even though I speak the language (with an accent!)
I feel like a stranger (more like a French speaking Swiss French or an American speaking American English -- I have been living between Geneva and Manhattan for some time...) who has landed in this bizarre land called Russia, where there are more cars then people, where winters are cold and summers are super hot, where red tape is a way of life.
Anyway, I am looking for expats who would like to explore the galleries, theaters, operas, ballets, go to parties or simply get together for a cup of tea (or wine
) to ponder over the intricacies of the expat's life in Russia!

tvadim133
07-10-2010, 06:39
Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Nice introduction, a bit sad, but optimisitic, because you did not give up and try to find the right way after having been lost for a while in this horrible- from-the-first-sight city (more or less good from the second, fantastic from the third, annoying from the forth and like-a-home from the fifth) ...

I guess, that on the 15th of October there will be an expat party and you will have a chance to find new friends, acquaintances or just passing-by-your- life people (depending upon your lucky).

From my side, once again, welcome on board!

Max77
07-10-2010, 10:37
Great song by Chris De Burgh - Moonlight and Vodka.
Here're the lyrics:

Fix me a drink, make it a strong one,
Hey comrade, a drink, make it a long one,
My hands are shaking and my feet are numb,
My head is aching and the bar's going round,
And I'm so down, in this foreign town;

Tonight there's a band, it ain't such a bad one,
Play me a song, don't make it a sad one,
I can't even talk to these Russian girls,
The beer is lousy and the food is worse,
And it's so damn cold, yes it's so damn cold,
I know it's hard to believe,
But I haven't been warm for a week;

Moonlight and vodka, takes me away,
Midnight in Moscow is lunchtime in L.A.,
Ooh play boys, play...

Espionage is a serious business,
Well I've had enough of this serious business,
That dancing girl is making eyes at me,
I'm sure she's working for the K.G.B.
In this paradise, ah cold as ice;

Moonlight and vodka, takes me away,
Midnight in Moscow is sunshine in L.A.,
Yes, in the good old U.S.A.

Gypsy
07-10-2010, 10:53
Welcome Alice, I am sure you will find plenty of people here to help you.

Darya Alexandrovna
07-10-2010, 11:16
Hi, Alice!
Welcome! And do't worry too much. There are different people here, not only those you describe. If you want to meet many expats at one go I can advice you the place. I am Russian, but my way of life is galleries, conserts, cafes and really nice intelliget people. So if you wish, join in! PM me for details)))
Take care and cheer up!
Bon chance

IGIT
07-10-2010, 12:08
Hi Alice, welcome to the forum and erm, russia. )))

Yes, there will be a GRAND party on the 15th of October.
Here is the thread. Just vote in the poll to confirm your presence.

http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=254243

Cheer UP!!! :D

tasel
07-10-2010, 21:50
Hi Alice, welcome to the forum.

Desert Addict
07-10-2010, 22:39
"Anyway, I am looking for expats who would like to explore the galleries, theaters, operas, ballets, go to parties or simply get together for a cup of tea (or wine) to ponder over the intricacies of the expat's life in Russia![/QUOTE]

I somehow must in my youth a lot of higher cultural learnings so not really an expert in the above issues (except for the parties) but I am interested to join. Need to find out if I like these things and some company would not be bad...let me know...

Bobby D
11-10-2010, 08:35
Hi! I have been living in the USA and Europe most of my life and now I feel like a total foreigner in Moscow even though I speak the language (with an accent!)
I feel like a stranger (more like a French speaking Swiss French or an American speaking American English -- I have been living between Geneva and Manhattan for some time...) who has landed in this bizarre land called Russia, where there are more cars then people, where winters are cold and summers are super hot, where red tape is a way of life.
Anyway, I am looking for expats who would like to explore the galleries, theaters, operas, ballets, go to parties or simply get together for a cup of tea (or wine
) to ponder over the intricacies of the expat's life in Russia!
You should certainly find lots of people on here to share those experiences with. Pondering the intricacies of Moscow life, is a full-time job. It does make the mind boggle; however, it's the underlying charm of the place.

Makiko
12-10-2010, 13:25
I'm sure you will find this city more comfortable.
Wish you luck!!