PDA

View Full Version : Going to Ukraine for a visa, anyone done it yet?

Eric Lyle
13-07-2005, 10:15
Considering the recent announcement that visas are no longer needed for American citizens to visit the Ukraine, Ive been thinking about going to Kiev for my next visa. I just want to ask has anyone done this? If so what was your experience like? Ive been trying to get through to the embassy there to ask if its even possible, but so for Ive had no luck. Eric

horilka
13-07-2005, 11:04
I have received a visa from them many times. They are located on Ul Kutuzova dom 8 about 100 meters from pechersk metro. Cost for us citizens in from about $200 to $500 ($500 for same day processing). The people are nice. For visas of more than 3 months they require aids certificate. Direct number is 296 4504 which they answer during priemnie chasi (from 10 am to 1 if I remember correctly and visas given out from either 15-16 or 16-17hrs)

nreddy
13-07-2005, 15:06
Just a warning - the announcement that US citizens no longer need visas for Ukraine is misleading. See press release from the Ukrainian Embassy website :

"Starting July 1, Ukraine sets visa free regime for U.S. citizens who revisit Ukraine. President Viktor Yushchenko signed the decree, stating that Americans returning to Ukraine within six months after their first visiting are no longer required to obtain a new visa, as long as they don't stay more than 90 days. Yushchenko's press office commented that the decision was aimed at "the development and practical realization of the principal of strategic partnership between Ukraine and the U.S." ..."
http://www.ukraineinfo.us/embassy/embassy.html

So it doesn't apply to first time visitors to Ukraine or if you have not been there for six months. I took the train down to Kiev last Friday - fortunately I had a visa in my US passport - as the border guards were well aware that the visa free regime for US citizens only applies for 2nd visits and actually made a point of telling me.

Shaun
13-07-2005, 15:31
ukrainian emb in washington swears blind, even under cross-examination about this revisiting thing, that no visa required at all for us citizens. arggh! going with a yank on friday night - any more info on this?

Mr. Coffee
14-07-2005, 11:15
This is helpful stuff. Thanks for digging it up and positng.

PS777
14-07-2005, 20:57
To your question about visas at the Russian embassy in Kiev, it is one of the worst I have ever visited. It is outrageously expensive compared to others (maybe Tallinn is comparable), so you might call in advance to check the price for a same-day multientry, and compare to other nearby Russian consulates. They have an HIV racket with a clinic there, but it only costs like $3 for same-day bribe test, and the cost of a taxi to get there and back.

horilka
15-07-2005, 15:05
So you actually had to take the test or you were able to bribe them for the paper?

To your question about visas at the Russian embassy in Kiev, it is one of the worst I have ever visited. It is outrageously expensive compared to others (maybe Tallinn is comparable), so you might call in advance to check the price for a same-day multientry, and compare to other nearby Russian consulates. They have an HIV racket with a clinic there, but it only costs like $3 for same-day bribe test, and the cost of a taxi to get there and back.

richmond
19-07-2005, 11:12
dudes,
as of 7/7/2005 usa citizens do not require a visa for ukraine!!! i was just there this weekend...

http://www.usemb.kiev.ua/amcit_travel_ukrentry_eng.html
http://scopetravel.com/

or ring the ukranian embassy in washington.

Andy B
19-07-2005, 13:07
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this subject. I just checked the Ukrainian Embassy (UK) website (http://www.ukremb.org.uk/eng/cvs/index.html) and this is what they say:

The Embassy of Ukraine in the UK would like to inform that on the 31st March 2005 the President of Ukraine Viktor Yushchenko signed the Decree “On temporary implementation of the visa-free entrance regime for the EU and Swiss citizens”.

The Decree implements temporary Visa-free regime for citizens of the European Union and Swiss Confederation aimed at facilitating the preparation and holding of the European Song Contest “Eurovision-2005”as well as developing tourism.

According to this Decree, starting from the 1st May 2005 till the 1st September 2005 the EU and Swiss passport holders will be able to enter Ukraine without visas for the period up to 90 days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting 1st July 2005 Ukraine sets visa free regime for U.S. citizens.

On 30 June 2005, President of Ukraine Victor Yuschenko signed the Decree “On the Establishment of Visa-Free Regime for Citizens of the United States of America”.
The Decree establishes visa-free regime of entry to Ukraine and transit through it territory for U.S. passport holders who may stay in Ukraine up to 90 days within six month after a first trip to Ukraine.

richmond
21-07-2005, 10:58
basically, the conflicting info is just old info. the ukranian embassy simply hasn't updated their website. all the info regarding this july 1st second time entry stuff is old news.

as of july 6th, the european visa free regime has been extended (it was originally set to expire on sept 1st, but now has been extended through the end of the year or something)

as of july 7th, americans do not require a visa to enter the ukraine. i have personally verified this. last weekend i had no problems entering or exiting the ukraine (other than the sloppy stamp in my passport). i've never been to the ukraine or had a ukranian visa.

i would suggest to any of my fellow yanks who plan to go, and want to put their minds at ease, to phone:
Embassy of Ukraine
Washington, D.C.
tel: (202) 333-0606
they will give you another phone number for the visa / consular dept (which i have lost). the visa dept is only open for a few hours per day (i think it's 1400-1700 EST or something) and you may not get through on the first attempt...but when you reach them they are quite friendly, helpful and willing to answer any questions.

BudMoore
23-07-2005, 16:58
I live in Kiev - and I haven't heard of this revision on the July 1 that allowed entry to US citizens if they had previously traveled to UKR within 6 Months. This is the first time I have heard of a July 7 revision doing away completely with the visa requirement.

I would ask the US Ukr embassy if they are still issuing tourist visas and the cost. If they say yes - there you go.. WHY ?

I talked with some other directors - they said you needed an initial visa and there was still a requirement. I even searched the news - and didnt see an update. You maybe right - but nobody I know has heard this info on your July 7th update.

Article Appeared: July 1, 2005

Ukraine drops visa requirements for U.S. citizens
Jul 01 2005, 12:59

KYIV (AP) - Ukraine dropped visa requirements for U.S. citizens who revisit this ex-Soviet republic starting July 1.

President Viktor Yushchenko signed an order on June 30 saying Americans returning to Ukraine within six months after first visiting are no longer required to obtain a new visa, as long as they don't stay any longer than 90 days.

Yushchenko's office said the decision was aimed at "the development and practical realization of the principal of strategic partnership between Ukraine and the United States." Ukraine earlier had dropped all visa requirements for European Union citizens visiting this ex-Soviet republic until Sept. 1.

Yushchenko's government has been trying to build a case for the European Union and other nations to institute a visa-free regime - or at least free visas - for Ukrainians. The move is part of efforts to push this nation of 48 million closer to the West, and secure a place for it in groups like the EU. So far, though, most nations have reacted warily, afraid of a flood of illegal migrants from this large and poor nation.