PDA

View Full Version : Racist, but funny Russian term

P.I.M.P.
07-07-2005, 09:10
While in line at Prime this morning picking up breakfast, I stood behind two girls who were talking about some guy they met. One asked the other if she knew his nationality and she said she didnt know and added basically meaning a mix of nig*er and a motorcycle.

Is this a line from a movie or something?

Halyavshik
07-07-2005, 09:19
I know this is gonna come off as pedantic, but it's never stopped me before, so here goes.

'Negr' in Russian, is NOT a racist term. It's the equivalent of saying 'Negro' and that's all. It's we Americans that attach a racist meaning to the word out of our own cultural history.

This country has some pretty heavy racial equality issues as it is; let's not add to them when unneccessary.

If you wanted to use a racist term in Russian against blacks, you'd say 'chornozhopets' (black-a*s).

Cheers,
Hal

P.S. No, I've never heard that phrase with the motorcycle before. Sounds nonsensical to me.

P.I.M.P.
07-07-2005, 09:36
I hear ya. I was just wondering if it's from some Russian movie or something. I just asked my wife and she has heard it before but doesn't know the origin.

As for Chornozhopiy (Black-A**) I think it's used more as a derogatory term for people from the Caucasus?

P.I.M.P.
07-07-2005, 09:44
Asking around and co-workers have heard other versions like " " (a mix of Armenian and mutt)

You'd be crucified in the US for saying something like "she's a mix of Mexican and cockroach" or something similar in the workplace...

Halyavshik
07-07-2005, 09:48
As for Chornozhopiy (Black-A**) I think it's used more as a derogatory term for people from the Caucasus?

Pretty sure for Africans as well. I think 'hachik' is the more largely used derogative term for the Caucasus and Central Asia.

Moorka
07-07-2005, 15:47
no, as far as i know it's not from a movie... but you can actually put anything in place of 'negr' and 'motocycl'... your colleagues have probably told you already...;)