PDA

View Full Version : Putin Article of 6 July 2005

Britanski Soldat
06-07-2005, 13:39
In today's Guardian Newspaper, which I do not normally read, there is a very well written & interesting article about Putin. If you wish, I hope that you can view it online at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,2763,1522191,00.html

I commend it to you.................................!

mediashark
06-07-2005, 16:50
....what's so special about this article? It's just repeating what the doezens of western 'Russia experts' have been saying.

koba65
08-07-2005, 07:35
What's obvious is these so-called "experts" don't actually ever read Russian newspapers. So, "Echo Moskvy" and a handful of internet papers are the only ones not dependent on the Kremlin?? RUBBISH.

rosieredwood
08-07-2005, 10:17
Rubbish in that Ekho Moskvy and several Internet sites are not independent, or rubbish that, in addition to Ekho Moskvy and several other Internet sites, there are other independent sources of news? I'm confused :suspect:

mediashark
08-07-2005, 13:28
<All that remains of Russia's independent media is a few erratic websites and Echo Moscow, a small radio station feeding news to the capital, and purportedly relied upon by the Kremlin. "Even they need to know what's really happening," says Shakirov. Its take on the news may be independent-minded by the standards of the Russian media but its ownership is more familiar: Gazprom.>

That is rubbish because there are other indepent sources of news (which they obviously don't know and don't refer to)... and the whole article is rubbish because they don't read Russian news sources, even the 'indepent' ones they so stated... Even state-owned/partially state-owned media outlets can be pretty liberal at times.

Shaun
08-07-2005, 14:20
<All that remains of Russia's independent media is a few erratic websites and Echo Moscow, a small radio station feeding news to the capital, and purportedly relied upon by the Kremlin. "Even they need to know what's really happening," says Shakirov. Its take on the news may be independent-minded by the standards of the Russian media but its ownership is more familiar: Gazprom.>

That is rubbish because there are other indepent sources of news (which they obviously don't know and don't refer to)... and the whole article is rubbish because they don't read Russian news sources, even the 'indepent' ones they so stated... Even state-owned/partially state-owned media outlets can be pretty liberal at times.

while i dont agree with a lot of the article, you are missing the point here. i think you'll find that western journalists DO read the russian media. The whole point of the article is the idea of this 'matrix' - yes, sometimes even the state outlets 'can be pretty liberal at times', allowing the whole system to retain some credibility. hence the khakamada quote in there about her problem being that people saw her as 'part of the matrix' - ie - if we let this woman criticise a bit, it will look like there is meaningful opposition.

Plus, the whole issue of the media is not that it is completely under the thumb, but that there is enough control that people can be removed/silenced if it's felt necessary, eg shakirov after beslan.

koba65
09-07-2005, 01:50
Rubbish in that Ekho Moskvy and several Internet sites are not independent, or rubbish that, in addition to Ekho Moskvy and several other Internet sites, there are other independent sources of news? I'm confused :suspect:

Late night posting - what I meant is that there are tons of independent news sources in Russia - making claims, writing articles, etc., that if they did so in the West they'd be sued into submission. In some ways Russia is a bit freer in the press (and in some ways not). I guess I'll start worrying when they shut down "The eXile." ;)