PDA

View Full Version : Do you all really like Papa's on a Wednesday????

Desert Addict
21-09-2010, 21:22
After a few weeks of pushing my colleagues they finally joined my to Papa's this Wednesday. Based on the comments here I was convincing them it was teh best place on a Wednesday blablabla... I have to say I was extremely disapointed and we were out after one drink. The girl visiting us in Moscow was even out faster after being harassed 2 times in a few minutes. I am sorry to offend anyone but a bar full of drunk British resulting in the situation that this is probably the only bar in Moscow with so few women inside is not my idea of a nice evening out. We than also went very fast to another place which ended up really good. I am not going to give the name as I am scared the whole drunk bunch will follow and also ruin that place.

I guess tastes differ but you will not see me again in Papa's and my name is ruined with the colleagues:-( Or was this just a bad day???

TolkoRaz
21-09-2010, 21:51
Sorry to hear that, but Papa's is famous for being the haunt of Passport Hunters - Паспортистки! :yikes: And that is a very good reason for staying away!

Hope you found another bar where your guest was treated with respect?

Desert Addict
21-09-2010, 22:13
She went the her hotel and did not return. As she is actually working for me I really was embarrassed. Hope she believed this is not my kind of place:)

BrandonL
22-09-2010, 00:55
It's nice on the weekends and Monday night

tzaritsa
22-09-2010, 01:07
What time have you been there?I was from 9pm till 11 and didnt see any
drunk British. Eh-h,unfortunately :)

bob
22-09-2010, 06:42
I've been to Papas a couple of times with some of my guests and friends and never faced such kind of a situation there.

Gypsy
22-09-2010, 08:51
First - today is wednesday. So if you went yesterday it wasn't wednesday. I think it is Latin american night on tuesdays. (I may be wrong, but it always used to be) in which case your guest may have been harassed but I'd be amazed if by a Brit: the place is usually packed with Moscow girls and Turkish building workers on salsa nights.

I only know of three Brits who go - or used to go - on wednesdays besides me. But I haven't been for 6 weeks or so - and only one of those ever gets drunk there, usually around 12ish.

I have heard russian women comment that actually they feel very safe at Papas on a wednesday, the atmosphere is usually good.

BrandonL
22-09-2010, 10:16
First - today is wednesday. So if you went yesterday it wasn't wednesday. I think it is Latin american night on tuesdays. (I may be wrong, but it always used to be) in which case your guest may have been harassed but I'd be amazed if by a Brit: the place is usually packed with Moscow girls and Turkish building workers on salsa nights.

I only know of three Brits who go - or used to go - on wednesdays besides me. But I haven't been for 6 weeks or so - and only one of those ever gets drunk there, usually around 12ish.

I have heard russian women comment that actually they feel very safe at Papas on a wednesday, the atmosphere is usually good.

Yeah, tuesday is Latin night

Desert Addict
22-09-2010, 10:33
It was last week Wednesday and around Midnight or later... All British blokes wearing some sort of similar vest... maybe it was a kind of special party...

TolkoRaz
22-09-2010, 10:37
I reckon you are lucky they were wearing vests at that time of night! Normally, the sight can be far worse! ;)

Gypsy
22-09-2010, 10:53
It was last week Wednesday and around Midnight or later... All British blokes wearing some sort of similar vest... maybe it was a kind of special party...

Sounds like it.

A number of the girls from expat go regularly and I've not heard any complaints similar to yours from any of them.

TolkoRaz
22-09-2010, 11:20
Perhaps it was an investiture? :D

Gypsy
22-09-2010, 11:30
Perhaps it was investiture? :D

I see you invested that comment with all your usual wit.

Maria Raspopique
22-09-2010, 11:37
Papas used to be a nice place, but now it's getting worse and worse(

TolkoRaz
22-09-2010, 12:16

:11629:

Can I just say Maria, I dig your last name! :)

Gypsy
22-09-2010, 12:48
:11629:

Can I just say Maria, I dig your last name! :)

You tart!

kassandra
22-09-2010, 16:10
After a few weeks of pushing my colleagues they finally joined my to Papa's this Wednesday. Based on the comments here I was convincing them it was teh best place on a Wednesday blablabla... I have to say I was extremely disapointed and we were out after one drink. The girl visiting us in Moscow was even out faster after being harassed 2 times in a few minutes. I am sorry to offend anyone but a bar full of drunk British resulting in the situation that this is probably the only bar in Moscow with so few women inside is not my idea of a nice evening out. We than also went very fast to another place which ended up really good. I am not going to give the name as I am scared the whole drunk bunch will follow and also ruin that place.

I guess tastes differ but you will not see me again in Papa's and my name is ruined with the colleagues:-( Or was this just a bad day???

I ve got the same experience :( I expected to meet all the nice people who are posting here but nothing of the kind...

Gypsy
22-09-2010, 16:12
I ve got the same experience :( I expected to meet all the nice people who are posting here but nothing of the kind...

That's a shame - when did you go?

Why not contact Tsaritsa, Zyablik or Mirka; they usually go and I'm sure they'd be happy to meet you and introduce you to people. (I think Mirka is out of the country today tho.)

Periwinkle
22-09-2010, 16:33
I do not like Papa Johns....:yuk:

Food is not good - drinks taste watered down and in my experience it has been poor service ( but maybe that is because I am not a guy and do not flirt with the waitresses - dunno :eh:)

The last meal - I ordered (and will ever order there) was salmon with grilled vegetables - the salmon was small, cold and dry. The 'grilled' vegetables were lukewarm, microwaved frozen veggies:yuk:
Yes, I know it is a bar but still -:yuk:

This has been my experience - I am sure others have differing views.
I am doing my best to aviod being in that smokey firetrap again.

MickeyTong
22-09-2010, 18:55
Drunken Brits? Wearing vests? Shome mishtake, surely....

YouTube - Rab C Nesbitt: "Drink" - Series 1 Episode 4 (Part 1/3)

Gypsy
22-09-2010, 19:38

Food is not good - drinks taste watered down and in my experience it has been poor service ( but maybe that is because I am not a guy and do not flirt with the waitresses - dunno :eh:)

The last meal - I ordered (and will ever order there) was salmon with grilled vegetables - the salmon was small, cold and dry. The 'grilled' vegetables were lukewarm, microwaved frozen veggies:yuk:

I have been there many many times and would say that your experience is probably quite valid.

The only food I would ever eat there is Pizza - the pepperoni pizza is the best in Moscow IMO. - anything else I would steer well clear of.

The place is what it is - you are right about the smoke, it is one reason I don't go very often, and I know a few who won't go because of that.

But, it is a good place to meet and hang out on a wednesday night for beer and bullsh1t, if you like. Just don't go expecting great food, and the service can be hit or miss depending on where you sit.

Not your thing I would think Peri.

Bring back the good old days of 40 of us round two of the huge tables at Tinkoff.

franzewich
22-09-2010, 20:18

I guess that's what happens to most good bars in Moscow. I used to go to the Boar House, but early last year that place took such a dive after it was renamed Hot Dog ... (there was even a separate thread on that one!).

I know that a lot of the folks who hung out at Boar Hose wound up going to Papa"s. Now I wonder what place they have gone on to ... :question:

My last experiences at Papa's (about 10 months ago) were such that I found the music too loud, life music mediocre, and the drinks watery - I make better ones. So there was no real reason for me to go there again!

Mirka
23-09-2010, 21:25
As Gypsy mentioned my name here is my part to the story:

Papas is fine. I go there only Wednesday and the reason is that I meet there people who I like to meet and I either cannot meet them at other places cos they are not really party animals or they prefer to go to Papas and since is is next door from my apartment I find it very convenient.
Why only Wednesdays - Mondays too many drunk people, Tuesday too full, Thursday too many girls ;), Firday+Saturday not my style of music.

Food is reasonable. It is not the place I choose for a dinner but if I am there and am hungry I can have pizza or something else.

I like the band cos they do very good covers. (and I like rock music)

I was not harrased once there. Maybe it has something to do with me though :) (Now the contribution of my flatmate who sais: the flatemate is against papas)

Desert Addict
23-09-2010, 21:32
Does all not really matter. Bars enough in Moscow and Papa's is just not my thing...

valchu
08-10-2010, 17:33
Sounds like it.

A number of the girls from expat go regularly and I've not heard any complaints similar to yours from any of them.

Hello Gypsy,

My female-frend likes latino music. Would you recommend me another place where she could dance at night, apart from Papa?

Thanks,
Valera

valchu
08-10-2010, 17:55

I didn't like Papa Jhones's cuisine either.

Batman1979
17-10-2010, 09:14
Boring! :coffee:

Desert Addict
17-10-2010, 17:10
Decided to give Papa'a a second chance and visited it on Saturday evening and actually had a good time. Not really crowded and good music... maybe I just had bad luck first time.

Zyablik
17-10-2010, 18:40
Of course sometimes it is too smoky, the music is loud, but I love Papas no matter what!:) This place will always be a place where I met many friends and where I can have a good time.:beerbros: I am a Muscovite, I know Moscow and I have many favorite places in Moscow, cafes and restaurants. But Papas its a different atmosphere, it can not be explained, it is necessary to feel ! Wednesday - midweek, a good time in Papas! As Tzaritsa :sunny: said, I never saw there's a lot of drunken Russians or Expats.:redcard::drink:

:11157:

waxyweller
24-10-2010, 18:57
Sorry to hear that, but Papa's is famous for being the haunt of Passport Hunters - Паспортистки! :yikes: And that is a very good reason for staying away!

Hope you found another bar where your guest was treated with respect?

:iagree: You are as right as the SUN !!!

alouette
24-10-2010, 21:37
:iagree: You are as right as the SUN !!!

Or right as rain???

tzaritsa
25-10-2010, 17:28
Pizzadilyas!For those who like pizzas and kessadilyas now at Papas they
surve Pizzadilyas.I had them 3 times already and didnt get tired of it.Its flat
small abt 8 cm pies staffed with vegies,cheese and ham.Little bit spicy cos of halapegnos but you can cool a mouth with sour cream.

Now I like Papas on Weds even more :10518:

Desert Addict
25-10-2010, 20:55
I am back in Moscow next week and I will give it a try on Wednesday again. Met this really nice girl and she likes the place so have actually no choice:-)