PDA

View Full Version : No Name

DPG
28-06-2005, 13:28
Just back from my local Perekrostok (Novoslobodskaya) and they are having a massive sale (sell out?) of everything made by that Canadian brand "No Name".

Now, two ideas spring to mind:

1) They are doing this because Canada Day is coming up and the million-strong Canadian population in Moscow will all want to buy their tomato puree, tinned pear halves and strawberry jam from a Canadian company.

2) This line is being discontinued in Moscow.

My analysis of these options is as follows:

There is no way that a) there are enough Canadians in Moscow to warrant the former option above, b) Perekrostok or their holding company even know what Canada Day is.

This leaves the shocking possibility that, after all the rejoice of finally being able to buy things easily that were a nightmare to get before, we shall, once again be starved of this ease and of these products...

Has anyone else noticed similar 'initiatives' in their local supermarkets??

Halyavshik
28-06-2005, 14:32
2) This line is being discontinued in Moscow.

I hope not. Where else am I gonna get my powedered hot chocolate and marshmellow mix ?

Benedikt
28-06-2005, 18:30
..oh i will cry into my soup pots that you poor canadians will ahve to do with del monte pears from porto rico and chocolate from switzerland.
p.s: it might be a good idea to check very carefull the 'sell by' date? maybe THAT is the reason why they sell the junk. first they imported it and the 'millions' of canadians could not be bothered to buy and now they were left sitting on the boxes. so rather flog it quickly, even at a loss ( WHICH I DOUBT..) than have cases of out dated food left and THAT you can than pick up at the market behind the kievskaya railway station or dorogomilovskiy market.

Halyavshik
29-06-2005, 10:40
It's non-perishable food they sell here, Einstein.

Benedikt
29-06-2005, 11:19
..there is no such a thing as 'non-perishables' with the exception of salt and sugar. if kept in dry conditions only these two products have basically an unlimited shelflife.
all the rest has an expire / sell by date. that does not mean after that the products are bad or can not be eaten.
but for instance in my foodstore if sanitation control finds a can / carton that has 'expired' the fine can be quite high....
and i would be very carefull to buy things that already have a long 'sell by' date, 6 month to 2 years for instance, and than try it at home.

JeffK
29-06-2005, 11:24
Said as he runs over to that very same PK to stock up.
Not only Canadians need that stuff, there is a sort of North American feel to all of it. I need to get about 10 of each of those items to hold me over if they are discontinuing them.
I'd be swearing right now if this were bardak! Was super stoked a couple of weeks ago when I got pork and beans and that hot dog relish with the mustard mixed in. Found hot buns at 2 captains and pretended to be having an old fashioned cook-out from my youth. Looks like it is back to mayonnaise and smetana for us. :cussing:

Arrghhh!

Surok
29-06-2005, 11:37
Looks like it is back to mayonnaise and smetana for us. :cussing:

Arrghhh!

and no Hellmans.... :(

Benedikt
29-06-2005, 11:40
jeff, next to rishshkaya metro station ther is a (i think) quite big perekrestok supermarket. go there and have a look at EACH and EVERY shelf. i don't know why there, but they seem to have things that few otheres have.
also the chain 'aliya parusa', yeliseevskaya in tverskaya is also theirs, have at the sauces / canned / food section things that might make your mouth water.
since i am austrian, fair enough, i look first for austrian / german products, like beer, wurst and mustard, they have it. and bread, you woould leave home for ( but don't forget your wallet and golden creditcard, the prices for these things sting..)

Benedikt
29-06-2005, 11:42
.. in any size and variation, 'real', 'provencal', 'olive oil', 'homemaker', it is all there...

DPG
29-06-2005, 11:44
It's non-perishable food they sell here, Einstein.

I agree that everything is perishable...

HOWEVER, last night I looked at all the stuff I bought yesterday and it is well within its use-by date...

Judging by JeffK's post, it would be useless to go and try to get more of it!

Surok
29-06-2005, 11:46
.. in any size and variation, 'real', 'provencal', 'olive oil', 'homemaker', it is all there...

benedikt, don't understand. I said that there's no hellman's in Moscow. are you saying that it's available somewhere? (accessible by public transport - Crocus City is no good to me!)

DPG
29-06-2005, 12:02
I've certainly eaten Hellman's Mayo in Moscow - can't remember for sure where I got it - probably Stockmanns or Krestovskiy at Rizhskaya...

Perekrostok also have Heinz Salad Cream if you're into that sort of thing...

JeffK
29-06-2005, 12:11
I've certainly eaten Hellman's Mayo in Moscow - can't remember for sure where I got it - probably Stockmanns or Krestovskiy at Rizhskaya...

Ah salad cream vs. mayo, an ages old argument in the states. I almost hate to admit it, but I'm a Miracle Whip kinda of guy (oh I can hear the jokes now) and they usually have it at Stockmanns.

Btw, if you are searching for Hellman's, note that it is exactly the same as Best food's should you come across some of that. Simply different branding for East vs. West coast of US. I can still hear the jingle "bring out the (insert either name here) and bring out the best"

DPG
29-06-2005, 12:13
I'm a Miracle Whip kinda of guy

Call me a Brit ignorant of American products if you will, but I'm almost scared to ask...!

Now, Walnut Whip, that is a different story!!

exprumos
29-06-2005, 12:26
what - you don't remember that godawful "Heavy on the Miracle, Harry" ad (with the fake NY accent) that we had to put up with for 2-3 years in the 80's? Okay, I was in Ireland, but I am pretty sure it was not just launched on our side of the Irish Sea.

JeffK
29-06-2005, 12:27
There are two distinct camps here, the Miracle Whip folks and those Mayo folks. Mom used it as it was cheaper and we thought tastier than Mayo. Makes excellent tuna salad.

Now "Walnut Whip" sounds truly painful!

The following from Kraft's website

Miracle Whip

Premiering at the Chicago World's Fair in 1933, Miracle Whip was an instant success, helping to make fresh foods such as fruit, vegetables and salads better tasting, more appealing and less expensive to Depression-weary consumers. A patented "emulsifying machine," invented by Charles Chapman, helped create a first-of-its-kind product that was a blend of existing mayonnaise products and less expensive salad dressing. The machine, informally called "Miracle Whip" by Chapman, ensured that pre-measured ingredients (including more than 20 different spices) could continuously enter the appliance and become thoroughly whipped and blended. Today, there are at least 10 different formulations of Miracle Whip: from coleslaw, tuna and potato salad dressings to roasted garlic and zesty onion flavors to Miracle Whip Free (nonfat)

Surok
29-06-2005, 12:30

Sure, I've eaten it - all the big supermarkets used to stock it. And now they don't. Stockman's occasionally gets a crate of Hellman's Light....but very very infrequently. Seems that Heinz has taken over and it's just not the same! Nor is the Russian mayonnaise - quite happy with it most of the time, but not in tuna salad, nor in sandwiches.

Halyavshik
29-06-2005, 12:34
I agree that everything is perishable

The US FDA distinguishes between 'perishable' and 'non-perishable' foods. While, of course, everything is *ultimately* perishable, items with exceptionally long shelf-life (like canned goods, peanutbutter, syrup, nuts, crackers, cookies, flour, grains, etc) are classified as non-perishable (and are, obviously, easier to ship as they require no refrigeration.

This is almost all, if not all of, what the No Name brand ships to Moscow. Perhaps there's a strategic reason and marketing plan behind it (and someone like Ghost can comment on it).

But feel free to do a Google search to understand the difference. I imagine most food-industry related people appreciate the difference.

mtmiller
30-06-2005, 17:42
Talked to the manager at our Perekrestok today and she confirmed they will no longer be stocking the "no name" brand or the President's Choice organics food. Much sobbing in our household as we bemoan the loss of cheap peanut butter and decaf coffee.

p.s. Purchased Hellman's at Stockmann's at Mega Tyoply Stan recently, but may have been "light"

Surok
30-06-2005, 18:11
p.s. Purchased Hellman's at Stockmann's at Mega Tyoply Stan recently, but may have been "light"

Thanks mtmiller. I've now resigned myself to no Hellman's. I'll live :) (although if anyone sees real Hellman's please buy a case, and you'll be handsomely rewarded :)

RDV
30-06-2005, 19:07
I say we write a collective letter to PK's senior management. DPG will gather signatures, and maybe we can keep the No Name line on PK's shelves. :D

JeffK
30-06-2005, 20:11
I don't know if we have enough people to convince them but I am on that list. I know the CFO of PK thru business and I will happily hand deliver the letter to him if someone gets it going.

Tomato soup, graham cracker crumbs, mixed nuts, maple cookies, worcestershire sauce, oatmeal cookies, hotdog relish, peanut butter, cocoa mix. Damn, I thought it was gettin' too easy to live here!

Halyavshik
01-07-2005, 09:08
I'd sign such a letter, too. Doubt it will do any good, though. Anyway, for what's it worth. Thanks for offering, JeffK.

mtmiller
06-07-2005, 08:05
How badly do you want Hellmans? I was at METRO yesterday (on Warshovskoe Shosse) and they had it in 5 liter tubs. I think it was about 300 r a pop. Obviously a HUGE amount of mayo, but they had both the classic and "domestic" type. There was a sign for a 2.5 l tub but I saw no sign of it anywhere.

Proper Bostonian
06-07-2005, 10:32
Indeed, Perekrostok is dicontinuing the No Name line - at least according to a salesperson in our local store. Apparently, Russians weren't buying. Thought I was buying enough to keep it in the stores, but apparently not. Absolutely a North American thing, not just Canadian - good peanut butter, relish, good coffee, canned soups - what to do...

RDV
13-07-2005, 19:37
I asked employees at my PK and they are indeed discontinuing this brand. So much for Canadian stuff in Moscow ;)

flup
14-07-2005, 13:54
Discontinuing???!!! I think I'm going to cry, really I do. I think I just bought out the last stuff a week ago - all they had left was grape koolaid (the noname equivalent), tomato soup and palm hearts. I bought up all the tomato soup (10 cans as 6 rubles each). that really sucks -- I was really hoping it was a promotion to get people interested in the stuff, but now ... to hell with it, my day's ruined :(((

DPG
14-07-2005, 13:58
Discontinuing???!!!

At my locak PK, you can get rid of the "-ing" in your post - there is absolutely nothing left except for some of that drink powder...:(

Is it nice? What's Koolaid when it's at home, then??

flup
14-07-2005, 14:47
Is it nice? What's Koolaid when it's at home, then??

Yeah, tastes just like koolaid did, so I like it cuz I grew up on that stuff. The wife doesn't like that kind of stuff, though, ximiya - as she puts it, but then she didn't grow up on it so i guess it's all pretty subjective. I still think it's great to have cold in the fridge on a hot summer day, really hits the spot. I'm glad to hear it's still on sale, I'll stop by my local PK and scoop it all up.

Random
14-07-2005, 14:50
What's Koolaid when it's at home, then??

Thought that was help for aged hippies ? No ?

Fa-Q!
15-07-2005, 16:29
I'm a Hellman's guy, too. And I also got in on the clearance sale of the Canadian No Name products at my local Perekrestok. I bought about 30 cans of tomato soup at 6 rubles a pop. I liked the Ritz-style crackers they had. I think that the products will no longer be carried due simply to the fact that they are not popular enough with the Russians.

Halyavshik
15-07-2005, 16:31
I liked the Ritz-style crackers they had

Cheese-flavored !

Oh, man, now you've gone and gotten me depressed again.

flup
15-07-2005, 16:35
lol I wouldn't be surprised if it was only expats that bought the tomato soup.
My wife was just at PK today and they still have the koolaid drink powder stuff. Other than that, that's about it except for coffee filters, but those aren't exactly cheap at 90 rubles.

Sad, but think about it, if they started selling pickled herring and mushrooms, tvorog borsh and other russian stuff at say american supermarkets, I don't think it would sell either.

Halyavshik
15-07-2005, 16:40
Good point, flup (oh ye of the evil canine chasers), but a lot of that stuff was pretty generic, too, like ketchup, or cookies, or pasta. And it was pretty friggin' cheap.

I wonder if they weren't TOO cheap and pissing off local producers.

I remember they were selling the No Name cashew halves for 79 rubles, which was 300-400 cheaper than any other portion that size (or less, even) sold here.

Shatneresque
15-07-2005, 16:41
if they started selling pickled herring and mushrooms, tvorog, borsh and other russian stuff at say american supermarkets, I don't think it would sell either
They do, and it does! I love pickled herring and mushrooms, always have. Borscht and sour cream, too....

Shatneresque
15-07-2005, 16:43
I remember they were selling the No Name cashew halves for 79 rubles, which was 300-400 cheaper than any other portion that size (or less, even) sold here.
What about those lovely chocolate-covered almonds and raisins, eh? And all the sauces, dressings, condiments, cookies, canned soups....

It's enough to make a grown man cry! :cry:

exprumos
15-07-2005, 17:00
Cheese-flavored !

Oh, man, now you've gone and gotten me depressed again.

They were only Ritz-style because they were small and round. No cheese taste at all, and they broke too easily. Real Ritz crackers are great for spreading pate on; these ones were useless. And the last box i bought was stale. Bisca make a much better alternative.

BTW add me to the Mayo list. None of that Heinz or Kraft cr*p in my fridge.

Halyavshik
15-07-2005, 17:05
No cheese taste at all

Well, I beg to differ ! They had regular flavor and cheese flavor, and I for one found the cheese flavored ones to be quite palatable.

flup
15-07-2005, 17:07
But it's so easy just to make your own mayo in the blender, much better than the stuff you can get in the store - here's a recipe

http://www.masterstech-home.com/The_Kitchen/Recipes/International_Recipes/Hispanic_Recipes_2/MayonesaRapida.html

For best results, use olive oil

DPG
15-07-2005, 17:44
I'm a Hellman's guy, too.

They've got a shelf full at Stockmanns at the moment - regular, low fat and low something else - large jar is 155 Rbs or so, next to the mustard section...

CaveMan
15-07-2005, 17:51
They've got a shelf full at Stockmanns at the moment - regular, low fat and low something else - large jar is 155 Rbs or so, next to the mustard section...

OK let's exchange large jar of marmite with a large jar of hellman regular?

RDV
15-07-2005, 19:15
They do, and it does! I love pickled herring and mushrooms, always have. Borscht and sour cream, too....

Yep! Trade Joe's (not a nationwide chain, I'll admit) has always had Swedish pickled herring. They once carried Lithuanian mushroom salad that was gone in a week... Too bad they bought just a small batch... :(

flup
15-07-2005, 19:42
Yep! Trade Joe's (not a nationwide chain, I'll admit) has always had Swedish pickled herring.

It's not like Russian herring, though, is it? I've seen the scandanavian stuff too, but it's usually chopped into bite-sized pieces and marinated in either wine or sour cream. Anyway, I do know none of this would go over in the south, that's for sure.