PDA

View Full Version : How to quickly find any medication in Moscow

Movies
24-06-2005, 13:21
This was originally posted in response to the asthma medication question, but I thought it might be of general interest, so I'm reposting it as a separate thread.

The best way to find out where a medication is sold - and how much it costs - is to use www.medlux.ru . You type in the Russian name of the medication in the search box, and it will give you a list of the pharmacies which sell it, together with nearest metro station, number of units in stock, and price. If you click on the name of the pharmacy, it will give you it's exact location, directions for getting there, working hours and telephone numbers. As you will see, the range of prices for any medication is fantastic, with the highest price often twice as much as the lowest.

If you don't know the Russian name for a particular medication, one thing you can do is to search www.google.ru for the name you do know, but using the "Искать в русском" search option. Try it, for example with Seretide - and the first hit you get will be for Серетид.

While many medications are theoretically 'prescription only,' in practice you can generally buy anything that is non-narcotic w/o a prescription. In fact, Solpadeine (Tylenol w/codeine) is officially sold here as an over-the-counter product.

Lady Marmalade
24-06-2005, 13:28
Thank you for this link, that's great and really informative. I wish it could be a sticky at the top of the screen so we could always use it and don't have to hunt for it in the future. By any chance miracle, is there a similar site that uses English? :cussing: :( Just in case for us poor spellers in Russian or for people who don't have Russian characters on our keyboards?

Pobman
24-06-2005, 13:50
While many medications are theoretically 'prescription only,' in practice you can generally buy anything that is non-narcotic w/o a prescription. In fact, Solpadeine (Tylenol w/codeine) is officially sold here as an over-the-counter product.

Yes was quite surpised to see Tomazapan on open sale when I first got here...