PDA

View Full Version : America's Image

PHolmes
24-06-2005, 06:11
Canadians look down on Americans

if(typeof sIFR == "function"){ runSIFR(); }Thursday, June 23, 2005 Updated at 5:41 PM EDT

Associated Press

keyVal="_UNDEFINED_VALUE_"; esckeyVal=escape(keyVal); if(esckeyVal.indexOf('%')>-1){newstr=esckeyVal.replace( /%\d\d/gi, "");} else{newstr=esckeyVal;} skw=(newstr); if(skw=="_UNDEFINED_VALUE_"){skw="";} var szone="international-hub"; var smode="bn"; var sloc="lower"; var sURL_hub="International"; var sarena="arena=International;arena=National;arena=Front;";a3=true;aW=300;aH=250;sBoxAd=true;
http://adcounter.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/AdletCounter?ad1=GAMstory_International_300x250
Washington — Canadians are becoming even more negative about Americans, viewing them as “rude, greedy and violent,” suggests a survey released Thursday by the Pew Research Center.

And while a majority of Canadians agreed Americans are inventive and hardworking, less than half called them honest, said the poll, which charted some minor improvements in a major global image problem that spiked after President George W. Bush's invasion of Iraq in 2003.

But the survey, conducted among nearly 17,000 people this spring in the United States and 15 other countries, suggested America remains “broadly disliked” in 10 of them and regard for Americans is going down, said Pew director Andrew Kohut.

“The magnitude of America's image problem is such that even popular U.S. policies have done little to repair it,” said the report.

Advertisements

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/imagesv3/spacer.gif
[/url]http://adcounter.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/AdletCounter?ad1=talon_120x90_int_13764272
http://adcounter.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/AdletCounter?ad1=bmw_gam_16325300
rNum=Math.floor(Math.random()*100000);document.write('[url=""]http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3474.globeinteractive/B1619487;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=120x120;ord='+rNum+'? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;13764272;6958408;t?http://www.trumptoronto.ca/Landing.aspx?src=gm8i)')http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3474.globeinteractive/B1619487;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=120x120;ord=5000? ("")http://adcounter.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/AdletCounter?ad1=ing_120x120_17545423

“President George W. Bush's calls for greater democracy in the Middle East and U.S. aid for tsunami victims in Asia were well-received in many countries but only in Indonesia, India and Russia has there been significant improvement in overall opinions of the U.S.”

Revelations about American soldiers abusing detainees in the war on terror have added fuel to tensions with the Muslim world and none of the countries surveyed, including the U.S., agreed the toppling of Saddam Hussein in Iraq made the world a safer place.

And a low opinion of Bush was a key issue among those with unfavourable ratings of the U.S., with 54 per cent of Canadians saying he's the problem, down from 60 per cent in 2003.

Americans seem to know all about their public relations crisis. Only 24 per cent reported thinking their country is well-liked around the world.

That's in marked contrast to the 94 per cent of Canadians who said other countries have a positive view of Canada.

Overall, traditional American allies like Canada and Britain rated countries like France, Germany and Japan much higher than the U.S.

Even China seemed to have a better image than the U.S. among Europeans.

A favourable opinion of America in Canada slipped to 59 per cent in 2005 from 72 per cent in 2002, the first year the study was conducted by the independent group.

And Canadians are now evenly divided in their opinion of the American-led war on terrorism, with 75 per cent saying Bush's re-election last November made them feel more negatively about the country.

Like many Europeans, 57 per cent of Canadians favour taking a more independent approach on diplomatic and security affairs, up from 43 per cent two years ago.

Study co-chair Madeleine Albright, who served as secretary of state under Bill Clinton, said she thinks the Canadian results are indicative of a “family squabble.”

She attributed some negative feelings north of the border to Americans “big-footing it' and lingering bilateral problems like the mad cow crisis.

“We also have a different view of how power is used in the world,” said Ms. Albright. But mostly, she said, “our views and our values are similar.”

Albright was more troubled by very unfavourable reviews in Muslim countries that are U.S. allies, like Pakistan, Turkey and Jordan.

“It is possible for (the Bush) administration to change this but with difficulty because what is evidence here is that anti-Americanism is entrenched.”

Co-chair John Danforth, former United Nations ambassador under Bush, insisted the survey results don't reflect a personal hatred of the president but ambiguity about the best way to protect against new threats and the desire for another country to rival U.S. power.

“The unanswered question is if you don't agree with U.S. assertiveness against terrorists and rogue states, what is it that you propose?

“Is there some alternative and something more constructive?”

The United States, said Ms. Albright, has a “huge challenge at this point.” She attributed some of the bad reviews to the simple fact that America is the world's lone superpower.

“It's not easy being America. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.”

American officials have been trying to counteract the tarnished image, in part with frequent travel by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who returned Thursday from a swing through the Middle East and Europe.

The countries surveyed include the U.S., Spain, Germany, Netherlands, France, Pakistan, Britain, Canada, Lebanon, Turkey, Indonesia, India, Jordan, China, Poland and Russia.

Ghost
24-06-2005, 08:44
Old news. If people want to form an opinion of someone based on the perception of an entire country, let them be the bigots they are. I have a negative view of lots of countries, and a positive view of others. That doesn't mean I look down, or cut slack to a member of one of those countries before I get to know them. Everyone is their own individual and there are good and bad people in all cultures.

I was in the airport a while back here in Moscow, and I noticed an old Russian lady carrying several heavy bags and looking around for her gate. No one was helping her, and she was clearly struggling. So in my relatively bad Russian, I asked her politely if she needed help. She thanked me and said yes. I helped her find her gate and carried her bags. When she asked where I was from, I said "I'm American." She then said "Americans are such nice people" and smiled thankfully.

I think most people in the Western world, including Canadians, know that Americans are kind people, and just like them. The problem is there is so much animosity there because Canada is tired of being treated a particular way by America, and this sentiment spills over to extremely assinine polls like the one you posted about.

-Ghost

yankee@moscow
24-06-2005, 09:54
It's come to the point that no matter what the US Government does, someone hates America for it. Every issue has more than one point of view. If there are 3 different directions that America can go on a given issue, you can be assured that no matter which one we chose, most of the rest of the world will be angry that we didn't choose one of the other two.

When the world views a country in that light, public opinion will always be against them. Mexico can function in relative anonymity as compared to the USA. They make decisions all the time that nobody even notices. If the USA made the same decisions, we'd be scrutinized for them. The scales aren't weighted the same for the USA as for most other countries. You can debate why all you want, but that's the way it is....unfortunately.

Most Americans, inside the USA, don't even realize how the rest of the world feels about it. Heck, only 10% of Americans even have passports, let alone follow world opinion about them.

I think Ghost was right about most Americans being looked upon as polite people when they are viewed on a personal basis. Even on the busiest streets in America, you dont' get bumped into, shoved and frowned upon as much as on any street in Moscow. I don't just say that because I'm American. It's just an observation.

Shatneresque
24-06-2005, 14:33
Canadians look down on Americans
Of course they do---they're farther north; they have to look down! Psheeeeese.... :rolleyes:

Lady Marmalade
24-06-2005, 14:42
Pholmes why did you post that? No, seriously why? :shame: Yesterday you reveal that you are related to Sir John A and today you remind me.... Oh well nevermind. It's true, I'm not a fan of American Politics, but then again, I'm not a fan of Canadian politics either these days, just as corrupt as other places sadly.... However, just because I think Bush is the equivalent of a hairy pimple on a baboon's ass doesn't mean that I think that of the other 296 million or so people that either support him or don't or actually just don't care or pay attention to politics.... Ah.... Nevermind....

PHolmes
24-06-2005, 20:26
Okay, the question is the image of US in the world has been greatly reduced in the last 10 years. This assine post is an article in the Globe and Mail which Canada's National Newspaper.

It first talks about Canada's problem with USA which i think it has to do more with the border issues. With soft wood lumber debate, Mad cow crisis, Cuban business relationships, passport issues and so on, I think that as Canadian that these are the real issues, not the ones as stated. Yes, it is politics. It is also how the media shows its country.

Ghost, it is not my view, I posted to see the reactions. BTW this poll was complete by Mrs Albright(maybe a contradiction in her name by your view), but she was a key political figure in USA.

Lady Marmalade
24-06-2005, 23:36
Look, I'm not saying we didn't get screwed, we got it up the rear end severely by our own lily assed politicians that went along with that non combative, no balls, we'll agree to anything attitude, I've never been so sad as watching Canada sell itself out just because it doesn't have the balls to invest in itself and take its national pride and turn it inward where it counts. Who cares if you're Canadian? What's good about that when we aren't even putting enough cash into us, into our R&D. Are we going to be a country in a hundred years? Ooops, sorry Pholmes, I took it off the end. C. But sure dish me, I probably deserve it, whatever...right....

PHolmes
25-06-2005, 00:04
Thanks for the personal attack.
Did not give the red points, but you have them now and I did sign my name to this one.

Kingwillhe
25-06-2005, 00:11
It's come to the point that no matter what the US Government does, someone hates America for it.
Fact is America has the power to pursue its national interests regardless of the cost to other nations and does so with gusto, getting pretty much the reputation it deserves in return.

So does France, Russia, blah blah blah…

Having said that, Canada gets exactly what it deserves by re-electing a self righteous, arrogant and utterly corrupt government again and again. The day is soon coming when my fellow Canadians will realize that they have no international presence outside of their own imaginations!

Lady Marmalade
25-06-2005, 00:36
Fact is America has the power to pursue its national interests regardless of the cost to other nations and does so with gusto, getting pretty much the reputation it deserves in return.

So does France, Russia, blah blah blah…

Having said that, Canada gets exactly what it deserves by re-electing a self righteous, arrogant and utterly corrupt government again and again. The day is soon coming when my fellow Canadians will realize that they have no international presence outside of their own imaginations!
Sadly, some of us already know that, I never claimed we didn't. I just said it's sad they don't take that attitude and put it back into us.

PHolmes
25-06-2005, 04:10
Kingwillie, actually Canada is getting more power than it ever had before, because one thing, resources.

I would expand the scope of the Canadian government being elected as corrupt, but the system. The fact is the Conservative party is just as corrupt as the liberal. I know so many Card carrying politicians that have memberships with other parties. My ex Brother-in law is one. Although he is a conservative MP, he has contributed in the past to the NDP and Liberal party. Do you think he is completely loyal to the Concervative party? No. Ralph Klein was also Liberal party member.
Fact is that the political system in Canada does not attract the best, but it is better than most countries. Although there are sectors in which corruption is awful. Quebec is the worst and Atlantic provinces are next. Vote buying is common thing. A couple bottles of moonshine will get you some votes in Nova Scotia.

PHolmes
25-06-2005, 04:23
Another quick point, yes my ancestor was John A MacDonald. I am proud of that, because he was a great man. I also admire(not necessary believe in their views) many leaders outside of my country including Ernest Guevera &Tito. I think it time that we have to drop the nationalist tone and that is my point with American post. When GWB came into power, there was a huge nationalist movement in which borders were shut down for many products including softwood lumber, Beef, and such. I have been to the USA many times and love the country, but there is more us/them attitude before it was we. Bush is starting to understand that USA is not island and that it has to move back to the world as a partner.

Goose0009
25-06-2005, 08:12
It's come to the point that no matter what the US Government does, someone hates America for it. Every issue has more than one point of view. If there are 3 different directions that America can go on a given issue, you can be assured that no matter which one we chose, most of the rest of the world will be angry that we didn't choose one of the other two.

When the world views a country in that light, public opinion will always be against them. Mexico can function in relative anonymity as compared to the USA. They make decisions all the time that nobody even notices. If the USA made the same decisions, we'd be scrutinized for them. The scales aren't weighted the same for the USA as for most other countries. You can debate why all you want, but that's the way it is....unfortunately.

Most Americans, inside the USA, don't even realize how the rest of the world feels about it. Heck, only 10% of Americans even have passports, let alone follow world opinion about them.

I think Ghost was right about most Americans being looked upon as polite people when they are viewed on a personal basis. Even on the busiest streets in America, you dont' get bumped into, shoved and frowned upon as much as on any street in Moscow. I don't just say that because I'm American. It's just an observation.
When you want the world to follow your lead, shouldn't you be held to a higher standard? We need to be held to a higher standard. However, I am just a crazy isolationist who thinks we should build a giant wall around the U.S. and tell everyone else to go F@ck themselves.

Kingwillhe
25-06-2005, 09:44
Kingwillhe, actually Canada is getting more power than it ever had before, because one thing, resources.

Resources don’t automatically translate into power or respect (which is what Canada would have to have in order for this poll to mean anything)

but there is more us/them attitude before it was we. Bush is starting to understand that USA is not island and that it has to move back to the world as a partner.
Enjoy the America you see before you now as it is changing daily. If you’ve been following the proposed expansion in the FBI’s powers (http://villagevoice.com/news/0526,hentoff,65319,6.html) or the Supreme Courts rulings on property rights (http://slate.msn.com/id/2121410/entry/2121470/) I think that the exportation of Democracy is going to be the last thing on Americans minds in the coming years.

Sure glad I did SoCal (or she did me) when I had the chance!

When you want the world to follow your lead, shouldn't you be held to a higher standard? We need to be held to a higher standard. However, I am just a crazy isolationist who thinks we should build a giant wall around the U.S. and tell everyone else to go F@ck themselves.
Better leave a hole big enough for all that foriegn oil. ;)

Bluebird
26-06-2005, 17:38
This story is a bit like a cracked record, with the needle stuck in the groove...Whether or not I like the incumbent Bush admin, does't mean to say that every American is someone to be looked down upon and marginalised...I think that, that's ingnorance at the very least and downright insulting at the very worst.

I've read horror stories of American students being taunted, baited, and being made to feel like lepers, at some Australian uni's, and being called "Sepo's" (short for, in Cockney rhym n' slang), for septic tank = Yank. All connected with Iraq apparently. These student's just want to study, and to see and experience another culture and way of life.

What a pity that they're going home feeling traumatised, victimised, and not wanted. What a pity that their (bad) experiences will probably stay with them and shape their opinions, of other countries (in this case Australia, in particular), for the negative, perhaps, forever.

Any ***** with 1/2 a brain knows that there's good and bad people, in any one country; and that it's mistake sterotyping and tarring all persons with the same brush - as perhaps their misguided govenment policies; concerning Iraq, as a case in point.

koba65
26-06-2005, 18:10
Okay, the question is the image of US in the world has been greatly reduced in the last 10 years. This assine post is an article in the Globe and Mail which Canada's National Newspaper.

It first talks about Canada's problem with USA which i think it has to do more with the border issues. With soft wood lumber debate, Mad cow crisis, Cuban business relationships, passport issues and so on, I think that as Canadian that these are the real issues, not the ones as stated. Yes, it is politics. It is also how the media shows its country.

Ghost, it is not my view, I posted to see the reactions. BTW this poll was complete by Mrs Albright(maybe a contradiction in her name by your view), but she was a key political figure in USA.

Quite ironic that it was Albright behind the poll - she orchestrated Clinton's bombing of Serbia for which we took a HUGE hit in "popularity" in Russia. Turns out she was in Yugoslavia as a child, and in her own words, "Serbs treated her badly." Talk about avenging childhood problems as an adult. In short. These polls are stupid. Yep, Canada is looking down their noses at us, but coming down in droves to visit in live. Same with a good majority of the countries polled. Take a look at the numbers of US visa seekers and tourists from countries on the list and you'll see there is a disconnect in the findings.

Kingwillhe
26-06-2005, 21:35
This story is a bit like a cracked record, with the needle stuck in the groove...
So is your response!

Not happy about being less than loved? Too bad!

PHolmes
26-06-2005, 21:47
This is my opinion, but I think that the USA is a great country, but it is becoming a bureaucratic legal nightmare. Lawsuits are being conjured up at a ridiculous rate which forces costs up at an extreme rate. Legal testing has greatly slowed what the USA was great at which is innovation. Edwards became a rich man being one these parasite lawyers. Now we have losers looking to get a free buck by suing celebrities, putting fingers in chilli at fast food joint, or not having a prize in cracker jack box.