PDA

View Full Version : Houllier to Villa

Gypsy
11-09-2010, 11:18
Anybody think this will work?

martpark
11-09-2010, 15:31
I think he'll keep them in the league but have no idea how successful he'll be. He's been out of the loop for some time...if he was ever in the loop of the Prem Lge.

Gypsy
13-09-2010, 14:44
Technically Di Canio's for the Hammers may be better but for me it's close.

Altintintop last week:-

YouTube - Hamit Altintop - Goal Kazakhstan HD

michey
13-09-2010, 22:56
He not coaching for a long time. Villa will finish out top six with him.

MickeyTong
14-09-2010, 01:59
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I don't give a sloppy fart about football.

pjw
14-09-2010, 12:25
...to say that I don't give a sloppy fart about football.Not talking about footie, Mickey, we're talking about Houllier. :D

But seriously, I guess he wasn't too bad, or should I say, isn't too bad.

At Liverpool, for example in 2000/1, he grabbed the cup treble of the League Cup, the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup and finished third in the Premiership. Liverpool went on to win the FA Community Shield against Manchester United and UEFA Super Cup against Bayern Munich. This must be a magic moment in the minds of LFC fans...... golden memories of the treble........ la di da!

However, Houllier was infallible.

An example of his fallibility came in 2002 when Houllier substituted the defensive midfielder Dietmar Hamann with winger Vladimír Šmicer in an away match against Bayer Leverkusen in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final. The scoreline was 1-1 with Bayer needing two goals to win. With a gap in the defense, however, Liverpool was exposed to endless attacks, and Liverpool failed to advance to the semi-final.

In the 2002-2003 Liverpool finished in the fifth place in the Premiership, failing to qualify for the Champions League next season. Critics blamed Houllier's unsuccessful summer signings in 2002, namely El Hadji Diouf (Lens, £10 million), Salif Diao (Sedan, £5 million) and Bruno Cheyrou (Lille, £4 million), and his failure to make Nicolas Anelka's loan move permanent in favour of signing the ineffective Diouf. Houllier's failure to replace creative talents such as Gary McAllister and Jari Litmanen was also criticized.

A lack of success in the following seasons when Liverpool struggled to qualify for the Champions League despite substantial investment in players, with what was perceived as negative one-dimensional tactics and unattractive football, a poor youth policy, his constant mention of "turning corners" and a lack of support from fans led to Houllier's departure from Liverpool on 24 May 2004. During a press conference leading up to his departure Houllier said, 'If they want to go back to the '70s & '80s they can do that but not with me' shortly after Houllier left the press conference. He left by mutual consent with the club and was swiftly replaced by Valencia coach Rafael Benítez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9rard_Houllier#France

My gord, this guy's been managing teams since almost before I was born. Not bad. Respect. We know of him as LFC, but in reality he's so much more.......... evenmoreso if we take into account solely the dimension of time and not considering quality of clubs, many of whom nobody has ever heard, don't know and never will come into contact with.

Peruse this list.

Teams managed by Houllier

1972–1973 USJA Carquefou (Part Time)
1973–1976 Le Touquet Athletic Club
1976–1982 Nœux-les-Mines
1982–1985 RC Lens
1985–1988 Paris St-Germain
1992–1993 France
1998 Liverpool (joint with Roy Evans)
1998–2004 Liverpool
2005–2007 Olympique Lyonnais
2010– Aston Villa

He resigned from managing France in 2004 after they failed to qualify for the World Cup. This was in the days of Ginola, Cantona and co. Big names, but perhaps also big heads who could not be organised in any team by any coach. I don't know. He's still involved in the coaching at France and, as we see, presently they have some .......um......issues. :D

Gypsy
14-09-2010, 12:40
Not talking about footie, Mickey, we're talking about Houllier. :D

But seriously, I guess he wasn't too bad, or should I say, isn't too bad.

At Liverpool, for example in 2000/1, he grabbed the cup treble of the League Cup, the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup and finished third in the Premiership. Liverpool went on to win the FA Community Shield against Manchester United and UEFA Super Cup against Bayern Munich. This must be a magic moment in the minds of LFC fans...... golden memories of the treble........ la di da!

However, Houllier was infallible.

An example of his fallibility came in 2002 when Houllier substituted the defensive midfielder Dietmar Hamann with winger Vladimír Šmicer in an away match against Bayer Leverkusen in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final. The scoreline was 1-1 with Bayer needing two goals to win. With a gap in the defense, however, Liverpool was exposed to endless attacks, and Liverpool failed to advance to the semi-final.

In the 2002-2003 Liverpool finished in the fifth place in the Premiership, failing to qualify for the Champions League next season. Critics blamed Houllier's unsuccessful summer signings in 2002, namely El Hadji Diouf (Lens, £10 million), Salif Diao (Sedan, £5 million) and Bruno Cheyrou (Lille, £4 million), and his failure to make Nicolas Anelka's loan move permanent in favour of signing the ineffective Diouf. Houllier's failure to replace creative talents such as Gary McAllister and Jari Litmanen was also criticized.

A lack of success in the following seasons when Liverpool struggled to qualify for the Champions League despite substantial investment in players, with what was perceived as negative one-dimensional tactics and unattractive football, a poor youth policy, his constant mention of "turning corners" and a lack of support from fans led to Houllier's departure from Liverpool on 24 May 2004. During a press conference leading up to his departure Houllier said, 'If they want to go back to the '70s & '80s they can do that but not with me' shortly after Houllier left the press conference. He left by mutual consent with the club and was swiftly replaced by Valencia coach Rafael Benítez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9rard_Houllier#France

My gord, this guy's been managing teams since almost before I was born. Not bad. Respect. We know of him as LFC, but in reality he's so much more.......... evenmoreso if we take into account solely the dimension of time and not considering quality of clubs, many of whom nobody has ever heard, don't know and never will come into contact with.

Peruse this list.

Teams managed by Houllier

1972–1973 USJA Carquefou (Part Time)
1973–1976 Le Touquet Athletic Club
1976–1982 Nœux-les-Mines
1982–1985 RC Lens
1985–1988 Paris St-Germain
1992–1993 France
1998 Liverpool (joint with Roy Evans)
1998–2004 Liverpool
2005–2007 Olympique Lyonnais
2010– Aston Villa

He resigned from managing France in 2004 after they failed to qualify for the World Cup. This was in the days of Ginola, Cantona and co. Big names, but perhaps also big heads who could not be organised in any team by any coach. I don't know. He's still involved in the coaching at France and, as we see, presently they have some .......um......issues. :D

He is quite a good manager; let's not forget that the LFC side that won the CL had 9 of his players in it. And Benitez's record of signings was far worse.

My issue with him is that I think he is a complete sh1t.

He crucified Ginola in 1994 when France failed to qualify for the World Cup. They needed 1 point from two home games against Israel and Bulgaria. France lost both games and Houllier set out on a vendetta against Ginola.

Ginola lost possession of the ball 90 metres from goal, on the left touch line, (following his cross) and Bulgaria went up the pitch past 9 other French players to score. Houllier publicly blamed the defeat on Ginola alone and has kept this up ever since - Ginola had to threaten him with a legal suit in June this year to get him to shut up.

This lack of loyalty and petty mindedness is already manifesting itself at Villa where Houllier's first action was to try and appoint Phil Thompson as coach - even before he had met McDonald the very well regarded and respected Villa coach who has done a great job in the absence of O'Neill. Thompson has not been a coach of any sort for over 6 years, and is a TV pundit.

Houllier is very much a politician, and supported Domenech after France's pitiful Euro 2008 performance, many felt, just so that he could be offered the job later if Domenech continued to fail. However many in France pointed this out and Houllier was not approached to manage the French Team as he had hoped so he threw his hat in the ring for the Villa job.

If I were a Villa fan I would be very worried.