PDA

View Full Version : Online MBA

yankee@moscow
22-06-2005, 00:14
Anyone else completed an online MBA? I was just wondering how the business world is perceiving them since they are relatively new as compared to the conventional master's degrees. So far, my experience has been surprisingly positive. I don't know if that's the general case or not. Anyone have any insight to add? :bookworm:

P.I.M.P.
22-06-2005, 08:23
Mine wasn't a distance program, but here's a good resource:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/04/distance.htm

Thunderbird is on the list and if I remember correctly, they offer some programs in Russia - not sure if they're MBA-related though.

moscowmail
22-06-2005, 08:25
I finished mine with Open University in the UK, I did my BA with them many years ago and 3 years ago finished the MBA, you really need ot be disciplined, and I ain't :) but you can cram.

L

corp_fin
22-06-2005, 10:04
Well,

A value of a traditional MBA is not only in the books you read. It's also in:

1. Alumni network
2. Boozing with recruiters
3. Validation (you were able to get in)
4. Interaction with professors
5. Drinking like a crazyman for two years

So, it all depends on what you are after. Knowledge - just read bunch of books. Career - go a more traditional way.

Ghost
22-06-2005, 10:16
As far as US companies are concerned, the belief is that, as long as the university is accredited, there's no difference between online and classroom. If it's not, then there's a perceived difference.

legspreader
22-06-2005, 10:16
my slant on it is as follows the only real difference between an undergraduate and MBA program are as follows.
1) similar course work but a little more advanced
2) instead of sitting back and having an instructer lecturing to the class on businuss "theory" he acts more as a moderator and the class is really run discussions based upon their professional experiences
3) the high level contacts you make. this is one of the key aspects of an MBA. hence the better program you attend the higher qaulity and placement of your network. ie if you have a havard mba your network is going to be of a much higher calibur than if you went to a second tier or online program
i personally wouldnt do the program myself for the above reasons. ok you might have an mba but it can not replace the advantages stated ubove or overcome the discount employers may place upon such a degree. if its the only way you can do by all means do it. but its no replacement for a tradional program. any additional training certification skill sets are always an asset.

Ghost
22-06-2005, 10:18
Well,

A value of a traditional MBA is not only in the books you read. It's also in:

1. Alumni network
2. Boozing with recruiters
3. Validation (you were able to get in)
4. Interaction with professors
5. Drinking like a crazyman for two years

So, it all depends on what you are after. Knowledge - just read bunch of books. Career - go a more traditional way.

I agree with this on the surface (insofar as you're just out of your undergrad). However, if you're well along already in your career, then an MBA is usually only resume' dressing anyway. I was told I hit a wall in my career and going higher would be tough without an MBA. I asked why. The answer I got from HR was that it was part of the requirement just to have it at a certain level.

Unless you've gotten your MBA at Harvard or Yale or something like that, an MBA - so long as it's accredited, is an MBA.

corp_fin
22-06-2005, 10:26
I agree with this on the surface (insofar as you're just out of your undergrad). However, if you're well along already in your career, then an MBA is usually only resume' dressing anyway. I was told I hit a wall in my career and going higher would be tough without an MBA. I asked why. The answer I got from HR was that it was part of the requirement just to have it at a certain level.

Unless you've gotten your MBA at Harvard or Yale or something like that, an MBA - so long as it's accredited, is an MBA.

Well, I did get my MBA from a top-10 school and I think that it really broadens one's horizons. That's why this is a requirement to reach a certain level.

Yale is a great law school, MBA is good, but nowhere near Harvard or other top schools

yankee@moscow
22-06-2005, 11:18
I think that the responses so far reflect real life - there is probably a mixed bag of opinions out there on this subject. What's funny about mentioning the top business schools in that regard is that some of them are already offering online MBAs. The degrees don't even say that they are online degrees. They are the same degrees that regular students receive.

I've always had a problem with the ratings for business schools. I don't think that schools should be rated based on how difficult they are. If a school is doing it's job, they should be "teaching" students, not making learning more difficult. Of course, the research and assignments wouldn't be as difficult to complete for any student if the professor taught the students the subject material really well in the classroom. I'm not suggesting that Harvard and Wharton aren't the best, but the ratings are a little skewed because of the perception of "difficult" means "better".

I've got respect for anyone who can work a full time expat job and finish any kind of master's program. Trust me. It sucks!

corp_fin
22-06-2005, 11:30
The main reason for making life "difficult" for MBA students is getting them used to the idea that they will not be able to accomplish everything and teaching them how to sacrifice less important things to accomplish more important ones.