PDA

View Full Version : 'you' talk to loud and belittle everything

Benedikt
08-09-2010, 19:16
that's how i know 'you' are an American.
and back in your country, special if you are from Texas, everything is better,bigger,taller, greater. And 50 years after the end of WWII we still should be grateful to 'you' that you saved us from Adolf Schicklgruber and his merry men.
And you know, many people, special the younger generation, speak and understand english, so 'you' do not have to talk to us, like we are a bunch of 'debil' idiots and you have on top of your shouting also use sign language, thinking hopefully 'we' will understand that 'you' want to find a street, never mind it is the one you are standing now.

Swordfish90293
08-09-2010, 19:24
and back in your country, special if you are from Texas, everything is better,bigger,taller, greater. And 50 years after the end of WWII we still should be grateful to 'you' that you saved us from Adolf Schicklgruber and his merry men.
And you know, many people, special the younger generation, speak and understand english, so 'you' do not have to talk to us, like we are a bunch of 'debil' idiots and you have on top of your shouting also use sign language, thinking hopefully 'we' will understand that 'you' want to find a street, never mind it is the one you are standing now.

B...having a bad hair day? Or did you eat at MacDonalds?

"I hate mankind, for I think myself to be one of them, and I know how bad I am."
- Samuel Johnson

MissAnnElk
08-09-2010, 19:30
Actually, Vienna is the one city where residents have come up to me and asked if I was having trouble finding an address (I was standing there with a map). I was on my way to the doctor. I told him about the incident and he said, "Oh, there is this whole army of retired guys who look for tourists to help." We concluded he might have been hitting on me.

:SwoonLoveSmiley:

And once someone asked me in the Moscow Metro, too. Because I was holding a map. But I had been showing something on it to a friend (who wandered off to look at the gorgeous Metro while we waited for our train).

martpark
08-09-2010, 20:22

Wasn't there a thread on this very subject today?

Benedikt
08-09-2010, 21:59
Wasn't there a thread on this very subject today?
..and i got the wrong button or section, that shows that i am a computer 'chainik':rant:

Benedikt
08-09-2010, 22:02
B...having a bad hair day? Or did you eat at MacDonalds?

"I hate mankind, for I think myself to be one of them, and I know how bad I am."
- Samuel Johnson

but many times we did it for fun, sitting on the Old Arbat or Kärntner Strasse in Vienna at a Cafe and play the guessing game -from which country is this tourist-
and nearly all the time we got it right, when they came closer and we could even hear more of their conversation.:o

Joe Kilroy
08-09-2010, 22:28
unfortunately it is true and my experience too, that on the whole, Americans talk too loudly. In Moscow i usually move away straight away when I stumble across them or see a group of them in a cafe or a bar. However, no matter how far away you sit, you are doomed to have to listen to them, because when they are sat in a group, they don't actually talk and listen to each other. They have this way of shouting , as if theirs was the one and only voice in the world with anything to say, as if ...for one moment...they stopped shouting and delivering their monologues, they would cease to exist.
It really seems like a case of " I talk loud, therefore i am". It seems that they are born knowing everything already, and that the art of conversation doesn't involve listening (because if you already know everything you don't need to listen) - but just delivering your monologue as if you were the only person on the stage of the world, that the whole world was there just to see the curtain go up in front of you and listen to you, and that the whole world should be priviledged to hear whatever drops from your wide open droning jaws. British people, on the other hand, are perfect.:smokin:

ps - as i said, there are great exceptions to that, and I personally know two shy courteous and interesting Americans. I have them pickled and locked in an exhibit case in my flat, and charge $20 for entry if you would like to visit and view them.

pps- On the other hand, while Russians lack manners in some areas, they are amongst the best listeners in the world, which is why I stayed so long here, because i like the sound of my own voice and Russians make me feel I am more interesting than I really am. I like the way Russians go on long train journeys by platzkarten and the atmosphere is quiet and respectful. In Britain a train or bus journey is not uncommonly interrupted by drunken idiots on the way home from a football match who want to make everyone else's life a misery. Russians are better listeners, and far more respectful of each other's personal space. Even drunken Russians do not normally get aggressive or give other people hassle. They just get animated and sing songs, or fall asleep on each other's shoulders. English drunks would never do that, because they are insecure in their sexuality and think that any contact with another man means they are gay. And they would not want other people to think that, so the only thing an English drunk can do, is slap his partner hard on the back, or maybe hug him for a second, or maybe punch him in the face, just to show his love for him.

MissAnnElk
08-09-2010, 22:32
I confess, I often cringe when I see my fellow countrymen coming.

And, since this is the venting thread today, I have to vent about how I ventured out to a women's club meeting yesterday.

I know, I know . . . that's going to set some of you off on the privileged and wealthy, but those who know me know I am not. I do think these groups can be priceless for newbies, especially new moms who need to find babysitters and friends so they can get out and see the country they are living in.

I have lived in Taiwan, Argentina, Slovakia, Russia, and now Luxembourg. Okay, I've been at it for over 11 years now, so I know how it works, but I almost had to slap a woman who said she had a very difficult first six months in Luxembourg.

I mean, really! I had two years of high school French and I get by wonderfully. (Okay, I also had two years in college and a three-week intensive course a few years back, but still.)

Yes, any move is stressful, but I never cried once in Luxembourg.

I didn't actually cry at all in Taiwan, but I was 26 and in love.

I cried in Argentina a lot. I hated it at first. I was also pregnant immediately (because we had no friends initially and the red wine was very nice . . .)

I cried a few times in Slovakia, mostly at my own stupidity and limitations. Had a BIG FIGHT with Mr. Elk in the food court at the mall while still jet lagged. Heads turned.

In Moscow I remember crying twice: once at the phone store because I didn't undertsand what Mr Elk and the sales guy were saying. And once at a Yolki Palki because I wanted to know what that red fruit drink was at the table next to me and Mr Elk, who had been in Moscow 6 months more than I had, had not yet heard of mors.

Okay, in Luxembourg I did cry. In the grocery store the first time. In the vegetable aisle. Of happiness. My children were appalled.

I'm bitter and cynical and bitchy, aren't I. Can't appreciate some poor woman from Indiana having culture shock.

Joe Kilroy
08-09-2010, 22:50
I confess, I often cringe when I see my fellow countrymen coming.

And, since this is the venting thread today, I have to vent about how I ventured out to a women's club meeting yesterday.

I know, I know . . . that's going to set some of you off on the privileged and wealthy, but those who know me know I am not. I do think these groups can be priceless for newbies, especially new moms who need to find babysitters and friends so they can get out and see the country they are living in.

I have lived in Taiwan, Argentina, Slovakia, Russia, and now Luxembourg. Okay, I've been at it for over 11 years now, so I know how it works, but I almost had to slap a woman who said she had a very difficult first six months in Luxembourg.

I mean, really! I had two years of high school French and I get by wonderfully. (Okay, I also had two years in college and a three-week intensive course a few years back, but still.)

Yes, any move is stressful, but I never cried once in Luxembourg.

I didn't actually cry at all in Taiwan, but I was 26 and in love.

I cried in Argentina a lot. I hated it at first. I was also pregnant immediately (because we had no friends initially and the red wine was very nice . . .)

I cried a few times in Slovakia, mostly at my own stupidity and limitations. Had a BIG FIGHT with Mr. Elk in the food court at the mall while still jet lagged. Heads turned.

In Moscow I remember crying twice: once at the phone store because I didn't undertsand what Mr Elk and the sales guy were saying. And once at a Yolki Palki because I wanted to know what that red fruit drink was at the table next to me and Mr Elk, who had been in Moscow 6 months more than I had, had not yet heard of mors.

Okay, in Luxembourg I did cry. In the grocery store the first time. In the vegetable aisle. Of happiness. My children were appalled.

I'm bitter and cynical and bitchy, aren't I. Can't appreciate some poor woman from Indiana having culture shock.

Wow, an emotional woman who cries with happiness at the sight of vegetables and likes wine. I like it.:7534:

MissAnnElk
08-09-2010, 22:56
Wow, an emotional woman who cries with happiness at the sight of vegetables and likes wine. I like it.:7534:

Where have you been all my life?

tvadim133
08-09-2010, 23:09
Oh the ability to cry becomes very rare, I appreciate it very much as well.....

MissAnnElk
08-09-2010, 23:20
Oh the ability to cry becomes very rare, I appreciate it very much as well.....

Seems the forum is full of charming men tonight. Guess I left Moscow too soon.
:inlove:

MickeyTong
09-09-2010, 00:40
YouTube- Hugh Laurie's song for America - A bit of Fry and Laurie - BBC sketch comedy

ReallyGreatConcerts
09-09-2010, 06:54
YouTube- Hugh Laurie's song for America

Yeah, but he's become remarkably cooperative with them now that HOUSE has made him millions in the Land Of The Fee.

TolkoRaz
09-09-2010, 10:41
And once at a Yolki Palki because I wanted to know what that red fruit drink was at the table next to me and Mr Elk, who had been in Moscow 6 months more than I had, had not yet heard of mors.

LOL! :D

Most of us would cry just for being in the restaurant! ;) And that would include the men!

Benedikt
09-09-2010, 11:14

if/when MR Elk agrees....

nbogaard
09-09-2010, 15:38

We miss you Miss Annie!!!

nbogaard
09-09-2010, 15:47
It's funny. I was having lunch with a British friend today and I was talking about how often I am embarrassed by my countrymen (Americans) and he said that is only because you have never been somewhere outside of England where an English team is playing football and been surrounded by English football fans. It's true, I have not. Are they really worse than Americans complaining that they don't have all of the things they have in the US or telling everyone how great it is everywhere but here? I have had people ask my wife if she married me so she could move to the US?

xSnoofovich
09-09-2010, 15:58
he said that is only because you have never been somewhere outside of England where an English team is playing football and been surrounded by English football fans. ?

Yes !

Englishmen on stag parties are the worst. I watched them completely destroy the vibe in Riga, and Tallin after easyjet or ryanair opened up shop there.

It is cheaper for them to fly over. get totally smashed. be asses and start fights anywhere and everywhere they go. smash up bars. smash up hotels. pay for it all. and fly back home to england, than it is to have a nice quiet stag party in england.

Bagira82
09-09-2010, 16:23
Most of them are just making problems when they are in groups, but when they are alone than they are nice and quiet. I think its because they suck like individuals and they are not so sure in them self’s so than they wait to be in big group to show off and follow some loud monkey with a lot of testosterone, and no brain.

Joe Kilroy
10-09-2010, 02:37
Most of them are just making problems when they are in groups, but when they are alone than they are nice and quiet. I think its because they suck like individuals and they are not so sure in them self’s so than they wait to be in big group to show off and follow some loud monkey with a lot of testosterone, and no brain.

you said it in many less words than i did

sweetfart
10-09-2010, 07:21
Boo hoo. Let's all cry and whine about it. Get over it. You're in Moscow. Moscow is a cosmopolitan, globalized city. There are bound to be foreigners. Bound to be Americans. Bound to be loud people. There are probably many other loudass people too (have you BEEN around a pack of Italians before?), you only notice the Americans because English is probably the only other language you can understand.

As for you Americans being ashamed of your fellow Americans, you can get over it too. I never expressed embarrassment when I saw all these 500 pound Shrek-look-alike America's rejects trying to make a pass at every single teenage Russian girl passing by and whining about how much American women suck.

And why does every foreigner always try to use Texas as a symbol of the loud-mouthed, overly patriotic American and the symbol of the USA in general? Anyone who's been to Dallas, Austin, and so forth would know the people out there are more about the whole retarded vegetarian craze and probably more sympathetic to Europe. They're essentially Californians with southern accents. The ones you guys are trying to bag on are in the Southeast and Midwest, where I'm from. But not Texas, for god's sake. The Midwest has real cowboys. Texas just has men who dress like cowboys.

BTW, I am not being sarcastic and I am not apologizing for any of it.

sashadidi
10-09-2010, 07:48
Yes !

Englishmen on stag parties are the worst. I watched them completely destroy the vibe in Riga, and Tallin after easyjet or ryanair opened up shop there.

It is cheaper for them to fly over. get totally smashed. be asses and start fights anywhere and everywhere they go. smash up bars. smash up hotels. pay for it all. and fly back home to england, than it is to have a nice quiet stag party in england.

try drunken Australians and New Zealanders also (the brilliant thing is though that when we New Zealanders are loud and crass etc and people say something we can say we are from Australia cause most people cannot hear the difference in the accent so there is some advantage to being loud and crazy!!!!
Same in all countries I think, the most brilliant one I heard was we were at some English 16th century castle with a m1 type motorway/ road nearby and the Yank asks why they built the castle so close to the motorway,I have dined out on that for years. But to be fare when i used to stay in Holland they had a TV competition about the world etc and you won holidays, I was surprised at the ignorance of the Dutch competitors on the the problem but who knows it just be the type of people that appear on such programs?

xSnoofovich
10-09-2010, 10:09
all these 500 pound Shrek-look-alike America's rejects ........

I nominate this funniest post of the day !

MickeyTong
11-09-2010, 02:38
.....Californians with southern accents....

Can there be anything worse?