PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding marriage in Russia

Ghost
21-06-2005, 12:18
Hopefully some "in the know" can assist here....

Is it necessary to get married in Russia (I'm American, she's Russian) if we do not intend to live here much longer? Ie, if we are planning on being gone by the end of the year, is there a necessity to getting married in Russia?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so? Just wondering if it's enough to get married in the US (since we'll have to do that anyway to satisfy a family request :) ).

Thanks in advance.

-Ghost

Marisha
21-06-2005, 12:27
Hm...well and how do you plan to take your future wife to US...if you are not married here?

Lady Marmalade
21-06-2005, 12:35
Ask Polly!
Also, check what agreements stand between the US and Russia, for Canada and Russia it's loopy. I'm married in Canada, but not in Russia because I still haven't dragged my butt off to the embassy with a translation of the certificate to get an apostile and get it registered at some office somewhere etc. etc. etc. Go figure. Check for strange loopholes like that. It was far easier to get married at home for me at that time.

Andy B
21-06-2005, 12:35
I would say it is easier to get married here and then both move to the US as husband and wife.

For a Brit marrying a Russian it was much easier to get married here than in the UK (the paperwork etc) and I am sure it is easier to get a visa to take Mrs Ghost to US than go and get married there. Have you spoken to the Embassy about it?

Marisha
21-06-2005, 12:36
Will check Family Law Codex of RF...and U can consult US embasy (at list I would call them to get some infomation)

Marisha
21-06-2005, 12:47
It's abot visa for feancee...

Визы для женихов и невест граждан США: виза K

Назначение.
Визы категории К-1 выдаются будущим супругам граждан США, приезжающим в США с целью бракосочетания.
Ограничения.
Статус категории К не может быть изменен ни на какой другой. Если брак не заключен в течение разрешенного срока действия визы, обладатель статуса К должен покинуть США.

Marisha
21-06-2005, 12:50
Marrying a Russian citizen in Russia is a momentous and joyous occasion. The United States government it self imposes no requirements on American citizens getting married overseas and only offers its congratulations. However, you will have to satisfy the Russian governments requirements for getting married here. This guide will help you navigate through those regulations. In most cases, getting married in Russia can be achieved through the following 5 steps:

Step 1: Register Your Visa
Visitors to Russia are required by law to register. Registration of your visa is done by your sponsor at either the local or central UVIR (Office of Foreign Visa Registration) office.

Step 2: Complete and Notarize the Marriage Letter
A marriage letter affirms your marital status. The marriage letter must be completed in Russian and notarized by Consular Officer at the Embassy. The transliteration of your name should be identical to that on your Russian visa. The document is valid for only three months after notarization. When two American citizens are involved, two marriage letters should be completed. Citizens of countries other than the United States and Russia, should consult their Embassy for more information. Please refer to the schedule of fees for the cost of notarial services. Refer to hours of service to see when we are open.

Step 3: Authenticate the Marriage Letter
Authentication of the marriage letter is performed by the Department of Legalization of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The procedure costs around 100 rubles for a five-day return. Fees are paid at the Sberkassa located at Department of Legalization.
Department of Legalization, Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
1st Neopalimovskiy Pereulok, Dom 12a (near Smolenskaya Metro)
10:00am - 1:00pm; 3pm - 5pm (4:30pm on Fridays), 244-3797

Step 4: Translate Your Passport
The passport page containing your vital information must be translated into Russian. The necessary translation can be obtained at any certified translation center that has a Russian notary public present. You may visit our website to find a list of certified translation centers in Moscow.

Step 5: Get Married
The Zapis Aktov Grazhdanskogo Sostoyaniya (ZAGS) office where your fiancee/fiance is registered must inspect your documents. ZAGS officials generally will require that you submit apostilled copies of all pertinent US civil documents (i.e., divorce certificates, annulments). ZAGS schedules civil service weddings 32 days from the date of registration. You may leave Russia during this time and then return on the 32nd day to receive the marriage license. Residents of Moscow may submit their documents to the Civil Registry Office at the following address: Palace of Weddings, 17 Butyrskaya Street, telephone 285-1960, 285-7988.

For information on the immigration of the spouse of a United States citizen to the United States, please refer to
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm.
For specific information on processing immigrant visa applications at the Embassy of the United States in Moscow, please refer to
http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhci2.html

Marisha
21-06-2005, 12:55
So You can marry here or in US (even if you are married in US your marriage will be still considered here in RF legal (after you conferm in RF the fact of marriage in US). If your plan is to live in US, so just get a feancee Visa K-1.

equalizer
21-06-2005, 12:58

Is it necessary to get married in Russia (I'm American, she's Russian) if we do not intend to live here much longer? Ie, if we are planning on being gone by the end of the year, is there a necessity to getting married in Russia?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so? Just wondering if it's enough to get married in the US (since we'll have to do that anyway to satisfy a family request :) ).

Thanks in advance.

-Ghost
my only advice would be live together for a couple of years ,meet the inlaws (all of them)and then if the desire is still there after 3 years then your ready.
all my expat friends who jumped in are now seperated,some were costly seperations and some were not .
now they all say same ...wish we listened
different cultures are nice at first but then the strain starts especially with russians missing famly.
i have a friend in sydney who had to eventually import the russian babuska to keep the missus happy and then it all started.....

oneshot
21-06-2005, 13:05
if you plan to get maried in the US then you'll need this link
http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Ghost
21-06-2005, 13:09
Thanks to all for the advice, but I guess I wasn't clear.

She has a tourist visa, and getting another would be simple for us. I'm more concerned with the government requirements here in Russia. If we do not get married in Russia, it's obviously not recognized in Russia, right? And if it's not recognized, can anyone see any disadvantage considering the fact that we'll not be living here past December of this year, and not returning (outside of vacations, etc).

Oh, and equalizer, I don't need relationship advice :) This wasn't a rushed thing. It was planned for a while.

-Chris

oneshot
21-06-2005, 13:18
the question is...can you get married in the US on a toursit visa (?)

Ghost
21-06-2005, 13:21
Yes. Actually, you apply while there, and she is allowed to stay while her application is being processed.

Regardless, I'm not worried about that, as I said. Trust me when I say that won't be a problem. I'm trying to figure out if we need TWO weddings, one here and one there. Considering I really have no choice on having one there, I'd like to know regarding having one here.

sevan
21-06-2005, 13:25
Ghost - as far as I know, it is easier to get a Russian wedding registered in the US than vice versa. But I'm not sure that it will really matter if you are only planning on visiting Russia in the future. Does your future wife plan to keep her Russian passport?

equalizer
21-06-2005, 13:26
:)

She has a tourist visa, and getting another would be simple for us. I'm more concerned with the government requirements here in Russia. If we do not get married in Russia, it's obviously not recognized in Russia, right? And if it's not recognized, can anyone see any disadvantage considering the fact that we'll not be living here past December of this year, and not returning (outside of vacations, etc).

Oh, and equalizer, I don't need relationship advice :) This wasn't a rushed thing. It was planned for a while.

-Chris
hope your still smiling in three years :)

Ghost
21-06-2005, 13:26
I cannot speak for her, but I think she'd want to. However, does the US recognize dual citizenship?

Ghost
21-06-2005, 13:27

I would ask that you please not turn an otherwise joyous occasion sour with your cynicism. Thanks in advance.

-Ghost

equalizer
21-06-2005, 13:32
[QUOTE=Ghost]I would ask that you please not turn an otherwise joyous occasion sour with your cynicism. Thanks in advance.

<edited, Ghost has acknowledged and replied to your post, leave it there>

nsuprun
21-06-2005, 13:34
The INS is now called the USCIS and that may be your big problem if you want your wife to be legal. Legally you can not marry someone on a tourist visa and have her stay in the USA. You have to apply to the USCIS for a fiance visa or a green card if you are already married and she is still in Russia. This process takes many months and is quite difficult. To make a long story short my Russian wife ( 7 years ) lived in the USA for 4 years legally and then returned to Russian when her mother got sick. While in Russia the INS screwed up her address and sent her permanent green card to the wrong address and when it was returned to them they cancelled her green card. I have been trying for the last 2 years to get approval for her to return to the USA including two long trips to the USA to deal with the USCIC and the State Dept. You have to start with the USCIS and finish with the State Dept if you are married and she is in Russia. If you are married in Russia you can not just take your wife to the USA with you. If you want more info contact me.

Richard

Movies
21-06-2005, 13:41

. . . I'm more concerned with the government requirements here in Russia. If we do not get married in Russia, it's obviously not recognized in Russia, right? . . .

-Chris

Not really. Neither Russia nor any state of the US requires anyone to get married locally in order to recognize a marriage as being legal.

Every state in the US recognizes marriages performed in other states/countries, so long as they were legal where/when performed and are not contrary to public policy/morals (underage or same-sex spouse, multiple spouses, etc.)

Russian law is exactly the same. It's in the RF Family Code [Семейный Кодекс].

TQ
21-06-2005, 13:43

it's not even funny, Dr. date

equalizer
21-06-2005, 13:50
it's not even funny, Dr. date
<Off thread>

Marisha
21-06-2005, 15:24
No U do not need to be married twice. U just cam marry in US (that is your case I think) and in case you plan to visit Russia time after time, or you have property (probably your future wife has) you just need to Apostile your US marriage lisense here in Russia (I would do that - couse I am a lawyer, and sooner or later you might face a problem if your US marriage is not approved here)...
So my offer, marry the ---> then if your plan to be in RF time after time just translate your marriage license and register it in RF ZAGS.
About all relation connected mess. : Love is great, and the russian american national differences has nothing to do with that. Hope you gonna be the happiest couple.

Marisha
21-06-2005, 15:51
Yes, according to the Family Code of RF the marriage concluded (in this particular case) on US territory between the citizent of US and RF is acsepted as a legal one (if it does not interfere with rules of the 14 article of FC of RF). But you should translate your US marriage license and apostile it in RF (if you have any intention to use it in any official governmental RF structures). This is my point.

sevan
21-06-2005, 16:21
"just translate your marriage license and register it in RF ZAGS"....ahhhh, it sounds SO simple, but this is Russia....

Lady Marmalade
21-06-2005, 16:53
Wow, is the US complicated or what? I don't know, I think it could be as simple as going to city hall in your hometown and applying for a marriage license for 75$, running it over to the local courthouse and waiting the required three days after and then boom, your choice, priest, judge, ship's captain or back to the official at City Hall for a civil ceremony. My darling dearest entered Canada on a tourist Visa. We did our wedding in under a month because it looked like we were going to have serious Visa issues living together in France for a year if we weren't husband and wife, go figure. So I arrived on the 19th of December from Korea to Canada with no wedding dress etc... The man arrived on the 22nd of December with no suit etc... We had a license, a dress, a suit, a photographer, flowers and a Judge organized in the living room at my parents by the 27th of December [miracles of a small town with local shops that know your name] for a small ceremony of friends and family and we still had Christmas dinner with guests to boot. Efficient, but not recommended for everyone! I dunno, if you're not planning on coming back and your relationship is stable and you strike me as a pretty stable guy, just get married at home and skip the Russian part. If it's not important to her that she have a ceremony here, then don't go through the hassle. Life's too short.

chunkyhunkymonkey
21-06-2005, 16:58
For information:

This is straight out of the Family Code - Congrats!

Section VII. Application of the Family Legislation to Family
Relations with the Participation of Foreign
and of Stateless Persons

Article 156. Entering into a Marriage on the Territory of the Russian Federation
1. The form and the procedure for entering into a marriage on the territory of the Russian Federation shall be defined by the legislation of the Russian Federation.
2. The terms for entering into a marriage on the territory of the Russian Federation shall be defined for each of the persons, entering into a marriage, by the legislation of the state, whose citizen the person is at the moment of entering into a marriage, while observing the requirements of Article 14 of the present Code with respect to the circumstances, interfering with the entering into a marriage.
3. If the person, alongside the citizenship of a foreign state, also enjoys the citizenship of the Russian Federation, to the terms for entering into a marriage shall be applied the legislation of the Russian Federation. In the case the person has the citizenship of several foreign states, the legislation of one of these states shall be applied, at the preference of the given person.
4. The terms for entering into a marriage with a stateless person on the territory of the Russian Federation shall be defined by the legislation of the state, in which this person has a permanent place of residence.

Article 157. Entering into a Marriage at the Diplomatic Representations and at the Consular Institutions
1. The marriages between the Russian Federation citizens, living outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, shall be entered into at the diplomatic representations or at the consular institutions of the Russian Federation.
2. The marriages between foreign citizens, entered into on the territory of the Russian Federation at the diplomatic representations and at the consular institutions of foreign states, shall be recognized as valid in the Russian Federation on the terms of reciprocity, if these persons at the moment of entering into a marriage were the citizens of a foreign state, whicn has accredited an Ambassador or a consul in the Russian Federation.

Article 158. Recognition of Marriages, Entered into Outside of the Territory of the Russian Federation
1. The marriages between the citizens of the Russian Federation and the citizens of foreign states or the stateless persons, entered into outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, while observing the legislation of the state, on whose territory they were entered into, shall be recognized as valid in the Russian Federation, if there are no circumstances, interfering with entering into the marriage, stipulated by Article 14 of the present Code.
2. The marriages between foreign citizens, entered into outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, while observing the legislation of the state, on whose territory they were concluded, shall be recognized as valid in the Russian Federation.

Article 159. Invalidity of the Marriage, Entered into on the Territory of the Russian Federation or Outside of the Territory of the Russian Federation
The invalidity of the marriage, entered into on the territory of the Russian Federation, or outside of the Russian Federation, shall be defined by the legislation, which, in conformity with Article 156 and Article 158 of the present Code, was applied when entering into the marriage.

Article 160. Dissolution of a Marriage
1. The dissolution of a marriage between the citizens of the Russian Federation and foreign citizens or stateless persons, and also of a marriage between foreign citizens on the territory of the Russian Federation shall be effected in conformity with the legislation of the Russian Federation.
2. A citizen of the Russian Federation, residing outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, shall have the right to dissolve his marriage with the spouse, residing outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, regardless of his citizenship, at the court of the Russian Federation. If, in conformity with the legislation of the Russian Federation, the dissolution of the marriage is admissible at the registry offices, the marriage may be dissolved at the diplomatic representations or at the consular institutions of the Russian Federation.

Federal Law No. 140-FZ of November 15, 1997 reworded Item 3 of Article 160 of the Family Code of the Russian Federation
See the previous text of the Item

3. The dissolution of a marriage between the citizens of the Russian Federation and foreign citizens or stateless persons, effected outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, while observing the legislation of the concerned foreign state on the authority of the bodies, which have taken decisions on the dissolution of a marriage, as well as the legislation, subject to application in the dissolution of a marriage, shall be recognized as valid in the Russian Federation.
4. The dissolution of a marriage between foreign citizens, effected outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, while observing the legislation of the relevant foreign state on the authority of the bodies, which have taken decisions on the dissolution of a marriage, and the legislation, subject to application in the dissolution of a marriage, shall be recognized as valid in the Russian Federation.

Article 161. Personal Non-Property and Property Rights and Duties of the Spouses
1. The personal non-property and property rights and duties of the spouses shall be defined by the legislation of the state, on whose territory they have a joint place of residence, and in the absence of a joint place of residence - by the legislation of the state, on whose territory they have had the last joint place of residence. The personal non- property and property rights and duties of the spouses, who have not had a joint place of residence, shall be defined on the territory of the Russian Federation by the legislation of the Russian Federation.
2. When concluding a marriage contract or an agreement on the payment of an alimony to each other, the spouses, who do not have a common citizenship or a joint place of residence, may prefer the legislation, subject to application in defining their rights and duties by the marriage contract or by the agreement on the payment of an alimony. If the spouses have not preferred the legislation, subject to application, to the the marriage contract or to their agreement on the payment of an alimony shall be applied the provisions of Item 1 of the present Article.

Article 162. Establishing and Disputing the Fatherhood (the Motherhood)
1. The establishment and the disputing of the fatherhood (the motherhood) shall be defined by the legislation of the state, whose citizen the child is by birth.
2. The procedure for the establishment and the disputing of the fatherhood (the motherhood) on the territory of the Russian Federation shall be defined by the legislation of the Russian Federation. In the cases, when the legislation of the Russian Federation admits the establishment of the fatherhood (the motherhood) at the registry offices, the child's parents, living outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, if even only one of them is the citizen of the Russian Federation, shall have the right to turn with applications on establishing the fatherhood (the motherhood) to the Russian Federation's diplomatic representations or consular institutions.

Article 163. The Rights and Duties of Parents and Children
The rights and duties of the parents and of the children, including the parents' duty to maintain the children, shall be defined by the legislation of the state, on whose territory they have a joint place of residence. In the absence of a joint place of residence of the parents and of the children, the rights and duties of the parents and of the children shall be defined by the legislation of the state, whose citizen the child is. On the plaintiff's claim, to the alimony obligations and to other relationsips between the parents and the children may be applied the legislation of the state, on whose territory the child permanently resides.

Article 164. The Alimony Obligations of Adult Children and of Other Family Members
The alimony obligations of the adult children in favour of the parents, and also the alimony obligations of the other family members shall be defined by the legislation of the state, on whose territory they have a joint place of residence. In the absence of a joint place of residence, such obligations shall be defined by the legislation of the state, whose citizen the person, who claims an alimony, is.

Federal Law No. 94-FZ of June 27, 1998 introduced amendments to Article 165 of the present Code
See previous text of the Article

chunkyhunkymonkey
21-06-2005, 16:58
Article 165. The Adoption
1. The adoption, including the cancellation of the adoption, on the territory of the Russian Federation by foreign citizens or by stateless persons of a child, who is the citizen of the Russian Federation, shall be effected in conformity with the legislation of the state, whose citizen the adopter is. In the case of the child's adoption by a stateless person, this shall be done in conformity with the legislation of the state, in which this person has a permanent place of residence at the moment of filing an application for the adoption, or for cancelling the adoption.
In the adoption on the territory of the Russian Federation by foreign citizens or by stateless persons of a child, who is the citizen of the Russian Federation, the requirements of Articles 124-126, Article 127 (with the exception of paragraph eight of Item 1), Articles 128 and 129, Article 130 (with the exception of paragraph five), Article 131-133 of the present Code with regard to the provisions of an international agreement of the Russian Federation on the interstate cooperation in the field of the adoption of children shall be observed.
The adoption on the territory of the Russian Federation by foreign citizens or stateless persons married to citizens of the Russian Federation, of children who are citizens of the Russian Federation shall be effected in the procedure established by this Code for citizens of the Russian Federation, unless otherwise provided for by an international agreement of the Russian Federation.
In the adoption on the territory of the Russian Federation by the citizens of the Russian Federation of a child, who is a foreign citizen, it shall be necessary to obtain the consent of the child's legal representative and of an authoritative body of the state, whose citizen the child is, and also, if this is required in conformity with the legislation of the said state, the child's consent to the adoption.
2. If as a result of the adoption the child's rights may be violated, which have been established by the legislation of the Russian Federation and by the international treaties of the Russian Federation, the adoption shall not be effected, regardless of the adopter's citizenship, while an already effected adoption shall be subject to cancellation in court.
3. The protection of the rights and legal interests of children who are citizens of the Russian Federation and have been adopted by foreign citizens or stateless persons, outside the limits of the territory of the Russian Federation shall, unless otherwise provided for by an international agreement of the Russian Federation, be carried out within the limits permissible by the norms of international law by the consular institutions of the Russian Federation in which such children have been registered, till their coming of age.
The procedure for the registration by the consular institutions of the Russian Federation of children who are citizens of the Russian Federation and have been adopted by foreign citizens or stateless persons shall be determined by the Government of the Russian Federation.";
4. The adoption of the child, who is the citizen of the Russian Federation and who resides outside of the territory of the Russian Federation, effected by an authoritative body of the foreign state, whose citizen the adopter is, shall be recognized as valid in the Russian Federation, under the condition that a preliminary permission for the adoption is obtained from the executive power body of the Russian Federation, on whose territiry the child or his parents (one of them) resided before moving outside of the territory of the Russian Federation.

Article 166. Establishing the Content of the Norms of Foreign Family Law
1. When applying the norms of foreign family law, the court or the registry offices, and the other bodies shall establish the content of these norms in conformity with their official interpretation, the practice of their application and the doctrine in the corresponding foreign state.
To establish the content of the norms of foreign family law, the court, the registry offices and the other bodies may turn, in conformity with the established procedure, for assistance and explanations to the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation and to the other authoritative bodies of the Russian Federation, or to draw on the services of experts.
The interested persons shall have the right to present the documents, confirming the content of the norms of foreign family law, to which they refer to substantiate their claims or objections, and to assist the court or the registry offices and the other bodies in establishing the content of the norms of foreign family law.
2. If the content of the norms of foreign family law, despite the measures, launched in conformity with Item 1 of the present Article, has not been established, the legislation of the Russian Federation shall be applied.

Article 167. Restricting the Application of the Norms of Foreign Family Law
The norms of foreign family law shall not be applied, if such application would contradict the fundamentals of the law and order (of the public order) of the Russian Federation. In this case, the legislation of the Russian Federation shall be applied.

marus
21-06-2005, 17:24
I really hope so, for his sake-he seems very confident so let's wish him good luck!It would be very interesting to hear some stories about why marriages between Russian women and foreigners so often fail,apart from the well-known , but nowadays often wrong concept that most of them are just 'gold-diggers' whose ulterior motive is to get a foreign passport etc.For example-culture differences are often cited but let's be more precise.......

doogiecb
21-06-2005, 17:35

A lot of people go through life without experiencing even one day of "true love" , let them enjoy life now instead of missing true happiness because of worrying about the future .... Good for them and wish them nothing but good luck. :iloveyou: Getting too deep now, gotta work :bookworm:

Halyavshik
21-06-2005, 17:42
Yeah, Ghost, I may be echoing what others said (I didn't read it all completely), but just to chime in, I think the US generally frowns on foreigners entering the US on a tourist visa to get married. If you have the intention of getting her US citizenship, I'm pretty sure she needs an immigration visa or fiancee visa.

There's also the matter of the INS who used to verify that your marriage was legitimate if one of the spouses was a non-resident.

And, as far as I understand it, if you're married abroad, your marriage is automatically recognized by the US as long as it's legitimate in the country you were married.

I'd say you definitely want to do it here.

I also think that her entering the US (as a wife or not) on a tourist visa, if you plan on having her get a green-card is a no-no. You'll most likely have to do an immigrant visa at the US embassy wherever you are.

One guy to ask might be SFJ who's responded on the process of getting a green card for his wife. I'm sure he'd walk you through the pros and cons.

Ghost
21-06-2005, 18:00
Understood all, and thanks for the heaps of info :)

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

-Ghost

equalizer
21-06-2005, 18:19
Understood all, and thanks for the heaps of info :)

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

-Ghost
to save all the agro with your mrs visa and that have you considered getting married somewhere else.ie thailand or somewhere then you have the marrage doc when you go to the embassey,then just get married again in the states.
i did it when in hoilday in london, came to me while we were shopping in harrods and the next day we checked and we had to give 2 or 3 notice and after that it was history.
i know your a yank so you may not see the funny side to this but the regitrars gave me 3 choices of venue
1 -brixton (would the limo still have wheels)
2 some other shi* hole in london
3 bexley heath ,which i found to be perfect
so play your own game its your life

tovarisch
21-06-2005, 21:47

Thanks in advance.

-Ghost

1. Russia and the US signed the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents (http://travel.state.gov/law/legal/treaty/treaty_783.html) which means that your marriage in one country is recognized by another (of course, you need to translate the marriage certificate and go through "legalization" procedure, which is not difficult as far as I know).
2. If you have been in Russia for more than 6 month, you can use Direct Consular Filing (DCF) in the US Embassy in Moscow to apply for a quick immigration visa for her (after getting married in the ZAGS # 4 ) and in 1 to 3 months she can have an immigration wife visa that will give her many more rights upon her arrival to the US(including work permit) than if she goes there as a tourist or a fiancee.
3. She also can check the following forum (in russian only) http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/index.php This forum has a lot of information on legalization procedures for marriages in both countries, fiances&wife visas, and related topics.

Good luck. :)

Ghost
21-06-2005, 22:42
Thanks, comrade!

J.D.
22-06-2005, 08:29
Well Ghost it looks like you have quite a pile of info to plow through here and I'll pile it just a tad higher for you.
There is absolutely no law regarding you getting married in the US. Only that you fullfill the state requirements of the state that you get married in.
You can even go there on a tourist visa and then change it to a fiancee visa while you are there(wether or not you actually get married)
HOWEVER it is illegal to go to the US on a tourist visa with the INTENT to change it to a fiancee visa.
The fastest fiancee visa is from abraod, probably less than 6 months. In the US it is probably one and half years.
You can only get a fiancee visa from abroad if you actually live abroad.
There is no reason why you can't go to the US and get married and then come back here and do the fiancee visa here.

I see no advantage to having a Russian marriage over a US one unless you plan to apply for residency here.

skydiveks54
02-07-2005, 09:14
I'm not sure about getting married with a tourist visa, but if you need to apply for a K-1 visa and go through the immigration process, the time post 911 is about 1 year.

Marisha
02-07-2005, 11:07
Well to make the process faster it is easier to get merried here and then to conferm marriage in US...but I can undersrtand a person who wants to GIVE "Love for ever" promisses in US in front ot all relatives and friends possible...and I think K-1 would be preferable...

Marisha
02-07-2005, 11:11
1. Russia and the US signed the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents (http://travel.state.gov/law/legal/treaty/treaty_783.html) which means that your marriage in one country is recognized by another (of course, you need to translate the marriage certificate and go through "legalization" procedure, which is not difficult as far as I know).
2. If you have been in Russia for more than 6 month, you can use Direct Consular Filing (DCF) in the US Embassy in Moscow to apply for a quick immigration visa for her (after getting married in the ZAGS # 4 ) and in 1 to 3 months she can have an immigration wife visa that will give her many more rights upon her arrival to the US(including work permit) than if she goes there as a tourist or a fiancee.
3. She also can check the following forum (in russian only) http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/index.php This forum has a lot of information on legalization procedures for marriages in both countries, fiances&wife visas, and related topics.

Good luck. :)

RIGHT YOU ARE!!! I support your opinion.

kniga
03-07-2005, 08:52
Ghost,

Congratulations! For a guy who had a lot of trouble with things Russian when he first got here, you seemed to have had a, ah, change of heart! :-) Hope all works out well for both of you and for my two cents' worth, why not get married in both places and take care of any possible situations in the future?

Marisha
03-07-2005, 11:36
Ghost,

Congratulations! For a guy who had a lot of trouble with things Russian when he first got here, you seemed to have had a, ah, change of heart! :-) Hope all works out well for both of you and for my two cents' worth, why not get married in both places and take care of any possible situations in the future?

what for to marry twice if our countries admitt the marriage licence of each other? It is not legal to have 2 merriages. Of couse yoou can celebrate your wedding as much times as you want, but register it only once. Othervise the next step will be to marry in each different state of US...just because it is a different state. And from the practical point of view: if you marry twice, register 2 marriage licences...count then how many times you should to divorce (HOPE THAT IT IS GOING TO STAY JUST THEORETICAL QUESTION). Just I am a pissimist by nature, so I always have some gray thoughts in my mind...

Crazyeelboy
03-07-2005, 12:50
Just for one last contribution. Here is how I married my Russian wife.

We were planning to go back to the US for about a year and wanted to get married. We got lots of mixed signals at the Embassy, and on a trip to the US, we went to an INS office. We ended up speaking with a supervisor who told us not to mess around with the fiancee visa, but instead to get married in the US and then apply for an adjustment of status. We took her advice and it all worked out well.

Ghost
03-07-2005, 15:13
Crazy - so you went over to the US on a tourist visa, got married and then applied for an adjustment of status?

And during this adjustment of status period, she was allowed to stay?

When was this? (years ago)

Crazyeelboy
03-07-2005, 16:51
Ghost - this was in 200-2001. When we applied for adjustment of status, her status was immediately changed to something like a temporary permanent residence status (temporary green card status) while processing took place. At that time, the processing was supposed to take about 2 years, but we came back to Russia before that, so she gave up her application for permanent residence.

She got her work permit in about 3 or 4 weeks after application (it got held up in the mail, actually). The one inconvenient part of this is that she had to use special documentation to re-enter the US when we traveled. That was not a really big deal, though.

We were specifically told to do it this way by the INS supervisor, so we followed the instructions and it seemed to work out. Ulimately, though, we came back to live here, so she goes to the US on a regular visa just like before. Finally, I have not tried to get the marriage recognized here, so I don't know what that entails.

surfsky
03-07-2005, 22:27
This is in response to all the people talking about the difficulties of an Expat-Russian marriage. You know marriage in the USA barely works out between two Americans. Everyone in the US says don't get married it just leads to more pain in the future. I don't think the problems in the US are much different than they are in Europe or the Anzac. So you know this is kind of open ended but what is the solution, here? Is life any worst with a Russian? I guess the ideal thing is if you can figure out a way to stay in Russia. But than you have to compromise on where you live.

Halyavshik
04-07-2005, 00:41
This is in response to all the people talking about the difficulties of an Expat-Russian marriage. You know marriage in the USA barely works out between two Americans. Everyone in the US says don't get married it just leads to more pain in the future. I don't think the problems in the US are much different than they are in Europe or the Anzac. So you know this is kind of open ended but what is the solution, here? Is life any worst with a Russian? I guess the ideal thing is if you can figure out a way to stay in Russia. But than you have to compromise on where you live.

Huh ?

Ghost
04-07-2005, 06:32

I think this comment was to equalizer's ramblings from earlier. Though it's anyone's guess.

straun
04-07-2005, 06:57
You can get married in the US on a tourist visa and apply for adjustment of status. However, you must not get married within 60 days of entry b/c there is a presumption of fraud if you do. Outside of 60 days and the burden of proof shifts and you really have nothing to worry about then. This is a common occurrence.

surfsky
04-07-2005, 23:45
I guess I should drink less

moccasin
06-07-2005, 08:38
Ghost

In 2003, I married my (Russian) wife in Moscow. In 2004 (we were in no hurry), she came to the US on a business visa and we applied for the adjustment of status. Even though OFFICALLY the USCIS supposedly frowns on this sort of thing (she SHOULD have waited for an immigrant visa) the lady at the USCIS office I talked with didn't raise an eyebrow (or even pause) when I told her my wife came on a business visa. Instead, she promptly went to the shelf, handed me the load of applications, and everything processed smoothly.

The important thing is, it is not ILLEGAL to do the above. As long as your wife enters legally, stays legally (by applying for adj. of status ASAP after entering) you should have no problems.

PeedgeAdoky
23-03-2009, 16:21
I'm thinking of buying this and was wondering how many of you may have tried it/are using it
and your comments or feedback. In other words; does it actually work 100% like it states in
the sales page?

The videos are pretty believable but I just want to be sure before I lay down the dough...

Banker75
26-03-2009, 15:11
Definately easier to marry in Russia and move to the states. Good luck.

Little Draakje
24-07-2009, 17:40
My girlfriend has dual nationality (Turkmenistan & Russia) and is currently living in Turkmenistan. She lives separated from her (ex-) husband and the divorce procedure is going on - it should be finalised by year-end.
I have received my 1 yr MEBV for Russia and we plan to rent a flat in Moscow for some time and to look for a place to buy (even before we marry).
As soon as the divorce papers are ready, we would like to marry - probably first in Russia.
How quickly (after receiving her divorce papers) can we marry in Russia and 1. what should we prepare and 2. what can we do already in advance.

I believe buying property in Moscow should not be too much of a problem (only a money issue) and if OK, it would give her the propiska she may need to get her inner passport.
I guess that afterwards we will face the administration doldrums to get a temporary residence visa for me but I hope we can survive for some time on a ME BV and a similar ME Schengen visa for my girlfriend (by that time, hopefully my happy wife).
Any good suggestions which can make our life easier ?