PDA

View Full Version : Please please simple advice

leelee
20-06-2005, 00:01
Hi

My name is Lee and I am a 40 year English guy Living in Rostov - On - Don with my wife. I have lived here full time for just over 2 years
I have just been reading many of the questions and answers regarding visa registration etc etc and it got me thinking.
Just over 1 year ago I obtained a 3 year res stamp in my passport valid until February 2007

my question is this can I just fly back and fore to england just on this 3 year residency stamp--- or should I have something else like a special visa
Up to now I havent wanted to go back to the UK --but I will this Christmas
so will my stamp do--- or will I have problems somewhere

hope to hear from someone soon

Lee

Broken Arrow
20-06-2005, 01:25
I think you need a visa to exit and re enter the Russian federation. That's what my freinds did. Check with the local OVIR office.

leelee
20-06-2005, 09:38
does anyone know for sure-- I have always thought that my passport stamp would do. If I do need a visa is it possible to get it in Russia--- the rostov OVIR is 100% crazy place and on my last visit I fell out with the guy with a machine gun--- so I try to avoid this place if possible---

Broken Arrow
20-06-2005, 12:22
does anyone know for sure-- I have always thought that my passport stamp would do. If I do need a visa is it possible to get it in Russia--- the rostov OVIR is 100% crazy place and on my last visit I fell out with the guy with a machine gun--- so I try to avoid this place if possible---

I Checked with my friend who is working in the ovir in moscow and he says that you will be needing to get the visa from the ovir to get out and back into russia. The registration is just to live here and not to exit and enter

leelee
20-06-2005, 13:32
Dear Broken Arrow

Thankyou very much for taking the time to find out this information--- so I guess I will have to go and get all annoyed with the man with the machine gun again.

kindest Regards

Lee

leelee
20-06-2005, 14:00
Dear B arrow

I just called my English friend who also lives in Rostov and told him what you said--- he actually moved houses a few months ago-- and the city administration said he must get a new 3 year residence permit--- but he has just told me he is now going for a green card.

Do you know if a green card allows you to travel back and fore as often as you like---- or even with a green card we would still need a visa to travel

regards lee

Broken Arrow
24-06-2005, 10:07
Any way you ned a visa to travel. To exit and enter the territory of the Russian federation you need visa, if you don't have a russian passport.

Mason
24-06-2005, 11:49
Any way you ned a visa to travel. To exit and enter the territory of the Russian federation you need visa, if you don't have a russian passport.

This is untrue. If you have a green card you do not need a visa to travel in and out of Russia, regardless of passport origin. Residency I am not sure about but green card- no visa necessary.

Leelee- you need to check this for your specific situation. Rather than contacting OVIR who have a different answer depending on who picks up the phone, your embassy will help you- give them a call. The British Embassy are very helpful concerning stuff like this.

Broken Arrow- why are you giving advice to this person which is just plain wrong? I know you are only trying to help but sometimes if we don't know the answer for sure, it's better to keep silent.

resident
01-07-2005, 18:45
simple - temp residency you need a 1 time exit/entry VISA (old fashioned green paper)
longer term (green card ?) you don't need the visa