PDA

View Full Version : Liguistic Error!

DPG
19-06-2005, 21:20
I think that when they were Russifying this one, they didn't bother to find out the meaning - they just thought it sounded cool because it was English!

[Real photo taken with a mobile phone earlier today at Kurskaya!]

LOL!!

Halyavshik
19-06-2005, 21:58
A kiosk at Belorusskiy Vokzal :) 24 Hours (but not in a row).

Fairy Cake
19-06-2005, 22:39
I think that when they were Russifying this one, they didn't bother to find out the meaning - they just thought it sounded cool because it was English!

[Real photo taken with a mobile phone earlier today at Kurskaya!]

LOL!!
they meant a new store... not new 'second hand' clothes...

metonymy :nerd:

Nicole
19-06-2005, 23:28
they ment a new store... not new 'second hand' clothes...

metonymy :nerd:

That't what i thought as well.
The second one was funny though.

Quite a few years ago I saw a Milky Way chocolate bar in a kiosk near Tver's main railway station. The price tag underneath proudly said in Russian: "Шоколадка Микки Мау" . I can understand that it's hard but possible to confuse Mickey with Milky, but the second word..... :D :D

Daria
20-06-2005, 16:45
I love English language but it should be used in appropriate place and appropriate time. As for Russia, English words are used everywhere no matter if people know their meaning or not.
English words are often used in the names of the shops. In Moscow there was a by-law prohibiting usage of the English letters (not words) in the advertisements, in the names of the shops etc. So we enjoyed stuff like "Америкэн уэй", "Микки Мау" etc

druna
20-06-2005, 17:23
Sometimes it is very difficult to find proper translation. For example, "second hand" may be translated as "обноски" (the word is actually quite close but it also has a meaning "old weared clothes looking like rags"). So for marketing purposes they use "second hand" and write it in Russian. As for the word "новый" (new) my feeling is that they wanted to write "perfect (or good) condition". Of course, it's all good fun, some kind of clumsy marketing efforts :) :)

Nicole
20-06-2005, 17:44
Sometimes it is very difficult to find proper translation. For example, "second hand" may be translated as "обноски" (the word is actually quite close but it also has a meaning "old weared clothes looking like rags"). So for marketing purposes they use "second hand" and write it in Russian. As for the word "новый" (new) my feeling is that they wanted to write "perfect (or good) condition". Of course, it's all good fun, some kind of clumsy marketing efforts :) :)

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect they probably meant the newly opened shop as "new" not the actual second hand items. However, second hand items can also be new. If you bought an item of clothing or mashinery and never used them, in fact they're still in the original packaging, or you recieved an unwanted gift,those items will still be considered second hand, as they've already been in your posession, hoever new they may be.

Although in the case of second hand shops in Russia as I remember them, they're more like the equivalent of Charity shops, where you could still find new things. I've taken quite a lot of new staff to charity shops myself.
The only thing is I'm not quite sure where the money goes from second hand shops in Russia. Not sure if they have anything to do with charity or not.

RDV
20-06-2005, 17:51
A classic example is when ten-twelve years ago they were selling "Ησο" soda in kiosks...

RDV
20-06-2005, 17:53
A kiosk at Belorusskiy Vokzal :) 24 Hours (but not in a row).

Yeah, I was reading 24 Hour Fitness papers a few years ago in the US and it literally said there that the name is used purely for convenience. Right, and there is no mark-up worked into the membership price for that 'convenience'!

Broken Arrow
23-06-2005, 03:17
This one i got from a website. they say its taken in tokyo in some railway station.

you can check out this link for more funny grammer goofs.

http://towerofenglish.com/goofs.html

CatGirl
23-06-2005, 10:00
A classic example is when ten-twelve years ago they were selling "Ησο" soda in kiosks...

Make me sure I understood it right.. :rolleyes:

Benedikt
23-06-2005, 11:18
..or maybe it just did mean that a ' NEW SHOP' SELLING SECOND HAND GOODS HAD OPENED, language can be interpreted in many ways...

DPG
23-06-2005, 11:24
Man, am I glad that humour is not dead on these forums...

Lled
23-06-2005, 12:06
I too would like to thank all those who have made concerted efforts to ensure we all strictly adhere to the new "No funny or off-the-wall-bizarro stuff please, we just had a humour bypass" forum rule recently inaugurated by the new Mod, Herr Krauthammer.

And by the way, DPG, if you don't go back and re-spell "liguistic [sic]" in the thread title I am gonna wring your neck next time I see you. It's doing my head in every time I look at it.

Rgds
Herr Krauthammer

RDV
23-06-2005, 14:48
Make me sure I understood it right.. :rolleyes:

Can't make you anything really :p but the soda was 7UP ;)