PDA

View Full Version : "Windows not responding" how to fix?

RIKO
02-09-2010, 22:58
I am sure that most of us have experienced the annoying "Windows not responding" message many times. There are heaps of posts on the internet , all of which, it seems, speculate about possible causes and solutions. But nothing that I can find that offers a clear and definitive solution. Just wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem ?

Bels
02-09-2010, 23:07
My solution was to make a clean install with Ubuntu. No more problems

Get it here http://www.ubuntu.com/

RIKO
02-09-2010, 23:20
install with Ubuntu. Thanks Bels, this is very helpful. As are suggestions to "buy a Mac" etc. However I do want to try and find a solution to this particular Windows problem so I welcome comments directed specifically to this.

Bels
02-09-2010, 23:24
I know what you. just keeping your thread on top. And I ope you get a more specific answer.

Swordfish90293
02-09-2010, 23:59
Have you tried an anti virus.anti malware software? Updating Windows including service packs? Resetting the Bios or System Restore?

RIKO
03-09-2010, 00:52
Have you tried an anti virus.anti malware software? Updating Windows including service packs? Resetting the Bios or System Restore? Yes, yes and, will try that. There is heaps of stuff on the internet about this problem http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=302723, but nothing conclusive that I can find, and I am hoping someone here has found the silver bullet.

sashadidi
03-09-2010, 01:31
as you say many problems and causes, but a simple one if it was working ok yesterday or day before
Use system restore and return to date that it worked on perfectly

raperak47
03-09-2010, 03:22
boot the system in safe mode and see if the error appears there as well. if not you can try by clearing the startup environment, uninstalling all the crap you dont use, cleaning the registry. otherwise try to diagnose if its software/drivers/spyware related. OMG vista I almost puke. worst version of windows ever. even if you do a format reintall stills runs slow with a lot of bugs on it. do you have the latest windows updates as well?

R304
03-09-2010, 20:23
Sometimes windows starts to work slower or stops working because of viruses, useless files such as temporary files of IE or because of high level of disk fragmentation. In your case I want to recommend to do next:

Step 1.
Check your computer with any antivirus software and make sure that a resident protection is ON. Perform a FULL scan of your system. My favorite antivirus is Norton.

Step 2.
After removing viruses you should remove all unnecessary files and fix registry errors. Use CCleaner with default settings for this step.

Step 3.
Check your hard disks for errors and fix them.

Step 4.
Perform a defragmentation of all your hard disks.

My experience shows that these steps eliminate your problem in 80% of cases.

Bels
03-09-2010, 23:41
So what has happened to the idea of just switch and everything works the way you want it. Like a tv. a mixer, a DVD player, a radio, a cd player etc etc. But with Windows? xp or vista? You always seem to have problems to solve, rather than enjoy the computer!! Time to change. Try windows 7 pofessional and pay a small fortune, or try mackintosh. Or simply compare Ubuntu alongside your windows and see if you have the same problems. Of course you won't! But you have to find that out, and you can!!! without losing your current windows.

The point is that you should simply be able to switch on your computer and use it without worrying about solving problems.and use it as you expect to use it. But with windows there will always be something you need to fix, and often the solution wont be found in plain English. Only solution is get Mac or the free Ubuntu.

Download without risk of losing your current windows. compare them side by side, and your problems will be over.

vox16
04-09-2010, 00:55
If it's not a clean install of windows but a brandname laptop or (rarery) desktop with tons of preinstalled crapware of shoddy quality, it may cause it as well.

Gypsy
04-09-2010, 17:32
Windows -all MS software is incredibly buggy anyway, but if it worked one day and then not the next then you may be under attack. Someone else is using your machine while you are trying to use it.

These attacks are picked up by MS with each successive upgrade but in between you need something like Stinger (type stinger into Google). It only works when you run it - ie doesn't sit there resident on the look out for bugs - but it is the most up to date anti virus program I've seen. You need to update it every week or so.

If the problem is that your PC is under attack from t'internet then it should stop it.

But sadly - MS products and Windows especially, are so buggy it could be any one of a thousand different things.

RIKO
04-09-2010, 18:53
My experience shows that these steps eliminate your problem in 80% of cases. Unfortunately not in my case. I do these things regularly but none helps. Thanks anyway.

FlakeySnowballer
04-09-2010, 20:22
Unfortunately not in my case. I do these things regularly but none helps. Thanks anyway.

I would suggest you format c: and installing Windows 7 after this manipulation.

Also never use windows update service and system backup and install NOD32 after installing Windows 7.

Bels
04-09-2010, 21:09
Problems, Problems problems. Thank goodness I et DELETE on windows, and tried something a lot better, and cheaper.

FlakeySnowballer
04-09-2010, 23:17
Problems, Problems problems. Thank goodness I et DELETE on windows, and tried something a lot better, and cheaper.

The main rule is no antivirus no problems