PDA

View Full Version : Best place to live in Garden Ring with baby and a dog.

Spooks
02-09-2010, 22:47
Can anyone give me any advice on which areas within the Garden ring are best to live with a one year old and a dog that needs some grass to run on? Would Christy Prudy be a good choice or are we better some place further out?
Thanks!

tvadim133
02-09-2010, 22:55
It depends what the size of your dog....

As for Chistye Ponds, there are some place to walk indeed, but quite few and not very pleasant.

The city centre is not very convinient from this point of view.

Why the city centre?

what is your husband office location?

mk182
03-09-2010, 03:30
Why don't you try alexeivskaya or Sokolniki? Both are only about 7 minutes from the center by metro and have amazing, huge parks right near by.

IF you MUST live in the center then you're going to have to make compromises. The only 'plus' to living in the center is that you're living in the center. I have enjoyed my neighborhoods much more when I lived further out than in the center. I live at Tulskaya now and find it rather boring.

Ok I'm talking about me :) Sorry.

Spooks
04-09-2010, 10:04
thanks for you replies! My husband will be working near the World Trade Centre and we didn't want a long commute as he used to have to commute for two hours in Britain. I've realised how hard it is to move about with a buggy as there are so many stairs in Moscow! I thought living in centre would help me with this problem as I could walk to most places?

tvadim133
04-09-2010, 19:24
thanks for you replies! My husband will be working near the World Trade Centre and we didn't want a long commute as he used to have to commute for two hours in Britain. I've realised how hard it is to move about with a buggy as there are so many stairs in Moscow! I thought living in centre would help me with this problem as I could walk to most places?

If your office is in the trade centre (which is next to Metro 1905 and Barikadnaya), then I would really recommend Schukinskay-Strogino for both you (around 15-20 minutes by underground ).

Strogino has a pleasant area for walking including beaches next to the river.

I had been living there for 6 months, I wanted to buy a flat there, but they were too expensive for me those times.

Well, the ideal option is to rent a flat in Krasnye Parusa building (huge, for rich people), but if you can afford it (PM Tsaritsa, she can help).

I can only guess, what the price is for that.

Nevertheless, Strogino was built in 90s, so there are more or less good appartmetns there.

From the city centre (Pushkinskaya), it is 25 minutes by underground, that is more than close.

Good infrustructure (supermarkets).

Quite close to Bid shopping centres!

THe most important thing is fresh air.

http://metroway.ru/

Our member Benedikt lives there as well, so may be you can PM him in order to get know some details.

martpark
04-09-2010, 22:10
If your office is in the trade centre (which is next to Metro 1905 and Barikadnaya), then I would really recommend Schukinskay-Strogino for both you (around 15-20 minutes by underground ).

Strogino has a pleasant area for walking including beaches next to the river.

I had been living there for 6 months, I wanted to buy a flat there, but they were too expensive for me those times.

Well, the ideal option is to rent a flat in Krasnye Parusa building (huge, for rich people), but if you can afford it (PM Tsaritsa, she can help).

I can only guess, what the price is for that.

Nevertheless, Strogino was built in 90s, so there are more or less good appartmetns there.

From the city centre (Pushkinskaya), it is 25 minutes by underground, that is more than close.

Good infrustructure (supermarkets).

Quite close to Bid shopping centres!

THe most important thing is fresh air.

http://metroway.ru/

Our member Benedikt lives there as well, so may be you can PM him in order to get know some details.

I've lived in both Shchukino and Strogino and they are good for walks and a bit of green. Maybe Strogino more then Shchukinskaya. One other thing the modern apartment complex is called 'Alye Parusa', like the Russian book and supermarket chain, which is nearby.

whizkid
05-09-2010, 01:06
Hi there,

I'd reccommend Polejaevskaya because it's closer to Ulitca 1905 goda(where the World Trade Centre is)-just 2 stops, purple line. I myself live on Shukinskaya(which is 4 stops from Ulitca 1905 goda ) and it is,indeed, a very nice place to live with a child and a dog (we have a dog!) but a bit remote comparing to options on Polejaevskaya (this area also has very nice parks where you can walk your dog or walk with your kid! I know at least about 1 of them - where Expat Volleyball Sundays are held=) anyway, this area is more developed in terms of apartment rentals /in Shukinskaya-there's not enough options to choose from - as it's a sparsely area-comparing to Polejaevskaya, of course/, re prices: the chances to find smth /in Polejaevskaya are/ that will satisfy you for X amount of money are higher than the chances to find smth for the same X amount in Shukinskaya area /although, I must admit that I wouldn't move from Shukinskaya anywhere - no way)))/

as for the options in the city centre - I wouldn't reccommend you to rent an apt there if you have a toddler and a dog and a husband that's going to work near Ulitca 1905 goda! because:
a) I can't think of any kids- or pets- friendly parks in the centre (Chistie Prudy, Patriarshie Prudy, Zoologicheskaya str. area, Tverskoy/Gogolevsky/Nikitsky/etc. boulevards are not an option-in my opinion as it's always busy with locals and tourists, there is no space for a normal dog /I'm not speaking about a Yorky or smth like that/ or for a mom with a toddler).
b) it's significantly more expensive /and I mean significantly))/ than any option outside of the Garden Ring. be prepared to pay at least 3-4K for a 2-bedroom apt of good quality in the centre.
c) in my opinion and from my experience it's easier to find an apt outside of the Garden Ring when you have a child+a dog /which is a 'problem' or potential problem for the vast majority of landlords in Moscow/ rather than anywhere in the centre. but it's just my opinion.

hope this helps,

best
Kate

Uncle Pasha
05-09-2010, 10:11
I'd say Solyanka (Metro Kitai-Gorod), Taganka (M. Taganskaya), Zamoskvorechye (Novokuznetskaya, Tretyakovskaya, Polyanka, Paveletskaya). They are not *good* but Tverskaya, Belorusskaya, Frunzenskaya etc., where most expat tend to live, would be nearly unbearable if you are with a dog and a baby. Look for residential buildings located in mostly office areas. Then it will be quiet after hours and on weekends.

Yulia Clark
05-09-2010, 13:10
I suggest considering Patriarshie Ponds. If your budget allows I think it is one of the best places in Moscow to live with children/animals. It is very accessible, quiet, the ponds have a playground for kids and a place for your dog to run, there are a lot of kindergardens, schools and family cafes. Lots of theatres as well to take you child in a year or two to see some morning kids plays. All the best!

Matt24
05-09-2010, 13:29

Walking and Buggying isn't the easiest thing once the snow settles, even in the centre the authorities are a tad lax on pavement clearing, and quite often actually do do pavement blocking, also springtime is a nervous time to be on the pavements, with the roof clearing, not so much the icicles falling on you as the need to walk on the road a lot of the time when the red tapes come out - I'd no way say you are wrong in your choice of the centre, we live we our 0.75 year old, just off of Tverskaya, however I felt the need to warn you that the ease of walking downtime is not a particular safe assumption.

Cheers

Matt

asergeeva
06-09-2010, 14:13
If you strictly want to live in the center you need some place for walking with dog and child, isn't it?
There are two points at Garden Ring with parks nearby: Tsvetnoy Boulevard (the same name of underground station) and Kaluzhskaya square (Oktyabrskaya station).
Choose what is closer to the work place of you husband.

(Someone could tell that at Taganskaya station there is park as well, but the district is not pleasant on my opinion).

Also Khamovniki is nice place in the center (not near Park Kultury station, but further from the center - Frunzenskaya station) but it could be rather expensive.

BTW I'm waiting for a baby arriving and looking for good company for walking in thee center of Moscow. There are couple of girls with babies and I invite you too!
Here is the link on our recent thread: http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=239871

xSnoofovich
06-09-2010, 14:23
Why not just play the easy route?

Live in between 1905 and Krasnopresneskya ! There are 3 parks all within walking distance. A simply awesome children's park near the White House (10 min walk down a quiet street). A larger general park across the street from the metro. And just down the hill (a 10-12 minute walk) from that park is a freakin huge park. Dogs aren't allowed in the children's park, but the other two parks would work.

http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CNgYBtb

Not to mention, the zoo is also at Krasnopresneskya, so for, I think 150 rubies, one could walk safely in the winter, look at the animals, and then have an opportunity to step inside to warm up a bit !

whizkid
07-09-2010, 18:53
Why not just play the easy route?

Live in between 1905 and Krasnopresneskya ! There are 3 parks all within walking distance. A simply awesome children's park near the White House (10 min walk down a quiet street). A larger general park across the street from the metro. And just down the hill (a 10-12 minute walk) from that park is a freakin huge park. Dogs aren't allowed in the children's park, but the other two parks would work.

http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CNgYBtb

Not to mention, the zoo is also at Krasnopresneskya, so for, I think 150 rubies, one could walk safely in the winter, look at the animals, and then have an opportunity to step inside to warm up a bit !

I agree with xSnoofovich!

Spooks
07-09-2010, 19:32
Huge thanks to all of you for you great advice - I shall look into all these areas and we'll see which one suits us best. It's so difficult looking for a place in a city that is so large! It's like London and all the different areas there - impossible to learn where the best areas are quickly! thanks again for your great comments!:mml:

Missouri Tiger
03-10-2010, 17:23
Polezhaevskaya / Sokol (directly between the two metros) is a large park called "Beryozoviye Roschi" (birch groves), it is 35 hectares of woods, in the middle of the city with nice jogging/walking paths & several playgrounds.

I have lived here for nearly 8 years, and used to have a dog - now have a 5-year old and awaiting child # 2. We love it here but need to move to a bigger place, hopefully nearby in this neighborhood.

We have a small, 2-room flat with modern remodeling for rent, 5-min walk from Polezhaevskaya metro station. I can send you more details if it is interesting.