PDA

View Full Version : can visas overlap?

tussin
16-06-2005, 06:59
My current muti-entry visa expires in early September, but it will be most convenient for me to go abroad to pick up the new one not in September, but in August.

Will a Russian Embassy issue me a new multi-entry visa before the current one expires? Or must I wait until after my current visa is no longer valid to go for the new one?

Thanks!

veejay
16-06-2005, 08:03
My current muti-entry visa expires in early September, but it will be most convenient for me to go abroad to pick up the new one not in September, but in August.

Will a Russian Embassy issue me a new multi-entry visa before the current one expires? Or must I wait until after my current visa is no longer valid to go for the new one?

Thanks!
it shouldn't make any difference, but things do change here quite rapidly. in past experiences, if i've applied for a new visa, with the new invitation and all the appropriate paperwork, the consulate issuing the visa has simply stamped an 'annulled' stamp on the old visa and issued the new one. the overlap was a few days...or maybe a week or more. i'd think that you wouldn't have any problems, but again, best to check...maybe with those that are issuing your invitation...or with a reputable visa agency.

good luck.

tgma
16-06-2005, 08:47
The embassy issuing the new visa should cancel the old one, as far as I understand. I had a situation when I had an old double entry visa, and got a multi-entry subsequently, before the double entry one ran out. The border guard asked me which visa I wanted to enter on, saying that the embassy should have cancelled the double entry visa.

They also always asked me if I had used the double entry visa already, which either was a truth test, or they may not have any real records of whether a visa is used. I would imagine the latter is true. So it may be possible to use a double entry visa more than twice, within its period of validity, although I don't think that I would risk it.