PDA

View Full Version : You are the ref

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 12:06
A bit of fun - what do we think the ref should do in each case?

xSnoofovich
31-08-2010, 12:18
1. let the game play. any infraction inside the box, specifically around the 6 will alter game play and give un-necessary advantage to attacking team.

2. make the keeper remove the wig. it is just a distraction, and has no part of the game.

3. not sure, never worked with the 4th official, but i am guessing if the board goes up, the ref has stopped game play to allow the sub to come onto the field, and hence should be taken off.

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 12:43
I'll post the official answer later when others have had a go.

martpark
31-08-2010, 12:57
1. I'm guessing if he intended for his keeper to catch it, it's a back pass therefore a indirect freekick to the attacking team.

2. First, you need permission to wear 'headgear' including wigs I assume. Second, I'm also guessing that it's unsportsmans like conduct or unbecoming to the spirit of the sport and the gooalkeeper with the wig may never make it onto the pitch....a bit like Gazza and his flute but before a game.

3. Again I assume once the official puts up the board, the change must take place but have no real idea.

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 13:07
Thanks Mart - you're quite close.

Dolgoprudny Neil
31-08-2010, 16:47
1. You can't be sure of the defender's intention therefore you cannot award freekick. Play carries on.

2. Keeper has to have permission to wear 'extra' headgear-a bit like Petr Cech at present. Therefore, instruct keeper to remove wig.

3. Book the manager for time wasting (especially if it's Alex Ferguson). However, 4th official has made mistakes in the past which have led to touchline arguments, so I presume that it is possible to change one's mind.

The referee's a bastard anyway.

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 17:05
1. You can't be sure of the defender's intention therefore you cannot award freekick. Play carries on.

2. Keeper has to have permission to wear 'extra' headgear-a bit like Petr Cech at present. Therefore, instruct keeper to remove wig.

3. Book the manager for time wasting (especially if it's Alex Ferguson). However, 4th official has made mistakes in the past which have led to touchline arguments, so I presume that it is possible to change one's mind.

The referee's a bastard anyway.

Well, duh!!

I think you may be wrong on all 3 counts, but we must wait until later.

Dolgoprudny Neil
31-08-2010, 17:30
Well, duh!!

I think you may be wrong on all 3 counts, but we must wait until later.

However, I'm sure that I was right about the referee....

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 17:33
However, I'm sure that I was right about the referee....

Indeed you were/are/will be.

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 17:39
OKAY _ here are the answers as adjudicated by World Cup referee Keith Hackett.

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) Award an indirect free kick. The law does not state "back pass" players, fans and pundits use the term, but it's not accurate. A keeper is penalised if he handles a ball that has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate, whether the ball goes back, forwards or up, as in this case. Only if you felt that the defender wasn't deliberately trying to get the ball to his keeper would you allow play to continue.

2) Keep a straight face and defuse the situation. First, assess whether the wig is a danger to opponents or to the keeper himself. Assuming it isn't, you'll have to allow him to wear it (the bald-headed Bulgarian goalkeeper Boris Mikhailov used to wear a wig during games). But make it clear that any act of unsporting behaviour during the game deliberate provocation will result in a yellow card. Then take the teams out on to the field of play, whether the sulking captain is with you or not. It's his choice if he wants his team to start with 10 men.

3) The substitution has not taken place despite the board been shown: it is only complete when the substitute enters the field of play. So all you can do is issue a warning to the manager informing everyone that you'll add time on to cover this incident.

xSnoofovich
31-08-2010, 18:09
good thing the majority of calls in soccer are subjective.

as a general rule, i didnt call anything inside (pertaining to indirect kicks) of the six that favored the attackers, unless it was blatent or was repeated after a warning. if they want to get a goal, they have to get it themselves.

wigs- eh, i am pretty sure that is unsafe. if i remember correctly, one shouldn't be wearing either gold chains of ear-rings, however, i see them being worn (on tv), so whatever's clever.

the 4th official is a tricky one, since i feel that it takes away from the main ref. however, the most important thing is the team meeting (among refs) before the game where the main ref goes over the rules that they will all play by, and that the refs work together as a team.