PDA

View Full Version : two quick urgent visa questions

Navajo Joe
15-06-2005, 14:40
I think these got buried in my other long thread.

Just need to know:

1) When I get to the Russian embassy in Riga, how long will a 3 month business visa take to process there?

2) How much will it cost me?

Thanks again

Joe.

ps: I`m British

Dutch
15-06-2005, 15:40
You might start here: http://www.latvia.mid.ru/, and then follow-up with a phone call to the consulate to confirm.

Dutch
15-06-2005, 15:52
You can go directly to this page, and at the bottom of the page it lists the fees and times to expect

http://www.latvia.mid.ru/visainfo.html

equalizer
15-06-2005, 18:34
i have a friend just returned and said its all changed and each case is assessed separately was also asked for any registration in Latvia and was advised to go to london,anyway short talk with the consul and a bottle of Cognac it was ok ,but be warned this is no longer an easy route

sevan
16-06-2005, 12:48
i have a friend just returned and said its all changed and each case is assessed separately was also asked for any registration in Latvia and was advised to go to london,anyway short talk with the consul and a bottle of Cognac it was ok ,but be warned this is no longer an easy route

I am headed to Riga on Tuesday for a visa run. Our travel person tells me that she called the Embassy in Riga, that everything has changed, and that they it costs $410 (for U.S. citizens) to get a visa next-day. I've got my fingers crossed....

Navajo Joe
17-06-2005, 14:38
thanks,

I can`t afford an express visa. Ive been told Helsinki can do it in two hours.
I have to weigh it up against the cost of going to Tallin, which will save me ferry fare but takes 2 working days days to process. I can`t afford hotels and the idea of sleeping in Tallin train station for 2 nights isn`t appealing.

SO...looks like it`ll be Helsinki.

Ta for the links.

J.D.
18-06-2005, 14:58
I am currently in Vilnius. The embassy people are quite nice and do offer same day service.
However I had problems with my invitation and the line is rather long at the embassy even before it opens. And for some reason it seems the people trying to get visas to Russia are Russians and well you can guess how well behaved this line is.
I finally went to a local agency here at 13:00 on friday and they had me a visa by 16:00 that same day.
I would suggest that if you arrive here with your one year invitation that you go to this agency and offer them $50 to go and get the visa for you.

Vilnius is a FANTASTIC city!

J.D.
18-06-2005, 15:03
thanks,

I have to weigh it up against the cost of going to Tallin, which will save me ferry fare but takes 2 working days days to process. I can`t afford hotels and the idea of sleeping in Tallin train station for 2 nights isn`t appealing.

Ta for the links.

you don't want to be stranded in Helsinki if you are low on funds.
You can get a room in people's homes in Tallin for as little as $10 a night.
Just go to the information center in the Town Square and they will have a list of these places.
The train to Tallin is cheap. It arrives like 9am and a 10 minute walk to the embassy. It is a cheap and not bad place to be if you get stuck for an extended term.

equalizer
18-06-2005, 15:37
thanks,

Ta for the links.
make sure the 2 hour one is not the express visa

Navajo Joe
20-06-2005, 14:29
thanks all,

I know Tallin is a nice interesting place but Im not in tourist mode at the moment. I need a quick in and out so as not to take too much time off from my new job. I rang Helsinki today and they quoted me 256E for same day multiplt entry visa for Brits. (3585 K.) If i`m not smacked with any extra hidden costs, then I have enough for the train and ferry return fares.
Need to get a new HIV test though. I had one on January 10th which expires 10th July (it has to have been done within last 6 months). It will JUST still be valid when I go for my visa but I see them making a problem with it.

Joe.

TFS
20-06-2005, 18:34
Unless the rules have changed I thought the HIV certificate was to NO more than 3 months old?

Navajo Joe
22-06-2005, 13:44
the woman at the embassy said 6 months, but who knows...whatever, I had a new test just to be on the safe side, i don`t want any petty bureaucratic nonsense to get in the way. less than 500 rb, and much more efficient than the hassle i went through in England. Mind you, it was free there.