PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to Vorkuta?

SpruceGoose
14-06-2005, 15:54
I am heading there next month with a local guy who wants me to help him arrange lots of foreign tourists. There is stuff all about the place on the net apart from the fact it was where Stalin sent those punters he wasnt super enthused about to dig some coal and forget about life for a while. I believe the surrounding countryside is somehting special.

Any thoughts. Comments?

SG

P&M
14-06-2005, 19:29
The absolute a$$hole of the universe - possibly the biggest single $hithole in the USSR and I have been to quite a few contenders - but this was in 1992 and it might have improved since (NOT)

There was nothing remotely cool about the GULAG - running tours there is sick.

equalizer
14-06-2005, 19:42
The absolute a$$hole of the universe - possibly the biggest single $hithole in the USSR and I have been to quite a few contenders - but this was in 1992 and it might have improved since (NOT)

There was nothing remotely cool about the GULAG - running tours there is sick.
i was going to say ****** place but youve summed it up a bit better
but a single guy can have fun there

SpruceGoose
14-06-2005, 23:54
Thats all right gents, we are taking people there for the wildlife and wilderness, not the town or the Gulag stuff. Luckily I am married too.

If anyone has any more thoughts I am all ears

SG

Movies
17-06-2005, 17:33
A new guidebook to the the Komi Republic was published last year. It has current information on transportation, infrastructure, tourism, flora/fauna, nature reserves, etc. - including links to many local tourist and visitor-related websites. The 2004 edition is in Russian. An English version has been prepared, but I don't know whether it is available yet.

You can contact the publisher to find out - www.petitfute.ru

Russian version available in Moscow bookstores or online from ozon - http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/2197422/

marus
21-06-2005, 17:36
There is a whole chapter about the place in the book 'In Siberia' by James Thubron, and although he went there almost 15 years ago,if anything it has probably got worse since then!I can see why someone disagrees with the idea of taking tourists to Gulag sites,but then look at Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland!!At least that place is remembered by everyone but in Russia there is a danger that people have forgotten very quickly about their history and that can be dangerous, as recent developments there may indicate.....