PDA

View Full Version : Shipping info?

Xattie
14-06-2005, 15:35
I'm leaving Moscow after 4 years, and somehow I think that Delta's baggage allowance is just not going to cut it. Helpful shipping suggestions and ideas please? (We're talking books and extra clothing, no need for furniture container advice).
Thanks!

Benedikt
14-06-2005, 17:31
...go to the post office, it helps if you speak russian or have someone with you...
weigh up at home already parcels up to 10 kgr. have the mailing address ready on a big stick on lable.
at the postoffice, they will want to look into your boxes and than they will pack it in thick brown wrapping paper with tons of string around. you will pay a small fee and your stuff WILL arrive after 6-8 weeks. if it is nothing about for customs to worry, you fill out all the papers at the postoffice and there should be no problem.
if you want to have things easier ( if language might be a problem) go to the mainpost / parcel office at warshavskoye shosse, they speak english there, procedure will be the same and if needed customs are just close by. but make sure NOTHING is in the parcels that might make matters complicated with customs.
i did it this way from south africa to moscow and got all my goods without a cent paying customs and nothing was opened or broken.
good luck!

Xattie
14-06-2005, 17:51
What about something like a small carry-on sized bag? And can I send something in a proper box, rather than thick brown paper? (Not crazy about that idea). Any idea what the rate is per kilogram?
Thanks again!

Olga Ten
14-06-2005, 23:34
I'm leaving Moscow after 4 years, and somehow I think that Delta's baggage allowance is just not going to cut it. Helpful shipping suggestions and ideas please? (We're talking books and extra clothing, no need for furniture container advice).
Thanks!

The best way is to call to representative of Delta in Moscow and ask them if there is the limit of the cargo weight. I know that the airline surcharges from 2-5 usd / per 1 kg but should be precised.

Of course, you could send separately your goods from Moscow to anywhere using the mover but I suppose it could be more expensive because usually the mover includes export and import customs formalities.
In case if you bring the goods with yourself, you don't need to make it separately.

If you need any assistance, please PM me.

Sincerely,
Olga Ten

rmo6767
15-06-2005, 14:26
Not sure , but I'll try to find you the company we used. We used a local company here (shipping) and what they did is come to our home picked up 3 suit cases, handled customs for us, did all the paper work and then sent it by plane via Luft. to Malaysia and the entire event tok only 5 days and cost no more then $180 for the entire thing where as if we had taken them on the plane with us as excess baggage it would have cost around $12 per kilo.

RDV
15-06-2005, 15:08
What about something like a small carry-on sized bag? And can I send something in a proper box, rather than thick brown paper? (Not crazy about that idea). Any idea what the rate is per kilogram?
Thanks again!

When I went to the US in 98, I shipped books from GlavPochtamt on Myasnitskaya. I forget what the rate was but it was CHEAP. I think brown paper can then be put into boxes but do check first. If you have time, I would recommend going to the place on Varshavskoe or on Myasnitskaya and verify the information given here. This way you will have peace of mind.

Cheers,
rdv

Xattie
15-06-2005, 15:19
I called the Delta office in the States, and they told me that an extra bag would cost $110- that's not astronomical, considering you're allowed 70 lbs per bag, but what I'm afraid of is that I'll arrive to Sheremetyevo 2 with my 5 bags, and I'll be told that my extra 3 will be $1000 USD or something along those lines. (I had an extra bag on BA once, back in the day when they were still using Shere2, and the girl tried to charge me almost $500 for it, which was more than the cost of my ticket).

Rmo6767, the info you posted is exactly what I need, I'd be so grateful if you can send me the name of the company and/or phone number, I PM'd you my email address.

Olga Ten
15-06-2005, 21:42
Concerns the shipment overweight you should cal to the local representative of Delta in Moscow. As I know it's Chapman Freeborn Company. You could try to find their contact details in internet and they speak English. They could precise you the final overweight charges.

Kind rgds,
Olga Ten

kazachka
16-06-2005, 11:58
Yes- that's correct. Delta charges you 110 for each extra bag. You are allowed 3 for free on international flights. I brought 2 extra bags from Anchorage in December. If they are overweight though, they will ding you more. it's SUPPOSED to be25 bucks for anything 71-100lbs. FYI- if you have any ski/snowboard equipment it counts as a checked piece. DO NOT LET THEM TRY AND DING YOU FOR IT! I had this argument when I left Anchorage 2 weeks ago. They tried to stick me for 80 bucks and I reminded them that skis/snowboards are allowed as checked baggage. Guess what, I won! One would think with as many high school /college ski teams that fly in and out of there to compete that the w**kers would have known this!

aleo
16-06-2005, 14:24
rmo6767 I'd also be interested in this information - name of company who did your shipping.
Thanks

rmo6767
29-06-2005, 15:57
I'll try to find them again, I have it tucked away somewhere from my last move arond a year and a half ago

Xattie
29-06-2005, 16:08
If you could PM me the info when you find it, I'd be ever so grateful :)