PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Abbreviations

bob
29-08-2010, 07:00
MOPED is the short term for 'Motorized Pedaling'.

POP MUSIC is 'Popular Music' shortened.

BUS is the short term for 'Omnibus' that means everybody.

FORTNIGHT comes from 'Fourteen Nights' (Two Weeks).

DRAWING ROOM was actually a 'withdrawing room' where people withdrew
after Dinner. Later the prefix 'with' was dropped.

NEWS refers to information from Four directions N, E, W and S.

AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from 'Agricultural Marketing'.

JOURNAL is a diary that tells about 'Journey for a day' during each
Day's business.

QUEUE comes from 'Queen's Quest'..
Long back a long row of people waiting to see the Queen. Someone made
the comment Queen's Quest.

TIPS come from 'To Insure Prompt Service'.
In olden days to get Prompt service from servants in an inn, travelers
used to drop coins in a Box on which was written 'To Insure Prompt
Service'. This gave rise to the custom of Tips.

JEEP is a vehicle with unique Gear system. It was invented during
World War II (1939-1945). It was named 'General Purpose Vehicle (GP)'.
GP was changed into JEEP later.

FlakeySnowballer
30-08-2010, 10:25
GOLF - Gentlemen only Lady forbidden

Volkova
30-08-2010, 10:54
Thank you for your useful and interesting article, Bob. It was very nice to read and I learned some new things. Great post!

Gypsy
30-08-2010, 10:57
Thaks Bob, interesting but I think wherever you got this from has Journal exactly the wrong way round.

Journal is actually french and has nothing to do with journeys. IN fact "journey" is so named because it was defined as "as far as you could travel in one day"; 'jour' in french.

Journal, was originally "daily" (adj.) in French, from the latin diurnalis "daily" The meaning of "daily record of transactions" was first recorded in the 16th century, again French

Matt24
30-08-2010, 11:19
POSH - Port Out, Starboard Home - when travelling east to the orient and more especially India, the coolest part of the ship was the Port Side, as it was in the shade during the hottest part of the day, when returning from the orient travelling West the sides are reversed, hence the most expensive cabins moved from one side to the other depending on direction, those folk who could afford them were called Posh.

Matt

Benedikt
30-08-2010, 11:35
POSH - Port Out, Starboard Home - when travelling east to the orient and more especially India, the coolest part of the ship was the Port Side, as it was in the shade during the hottest part of the day, when returning from the orient travelling West the sides are reversed, hence the most expensive cabins moved from one side to the other depending on direction, those folk who could afford them were called Posh.

Matt

thought it came form the Spice Girls...:o
that is definitely a good one...

Benedikt
30-08-2010, 11:45
Basically I do it that way, when on vacation we leave the tip already the FIRST day, with the room maid, the waiter, the bellman and so forth. And that for sure helps their memory and make things a little bit quicker, easier and sometimes also more fun.To give a tip after you stay is over and you are ready to leave, what purpose does it serve, maybe because i work in the hospitality industry so long, i think different. And i NEVER forget the Chef*(s) in the kitchen.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]To Insure Promt Service. What is commonly forgotten is that the the TIP was actually given PRIOR to the meal.:D The better the tip the higher you were on the list so to speak. Give a great tip and they were quick to wait on you and give you what you wanted. :evilgrin:

Gypsy
30-08-2010, 17:26
Basically I do it that way, when on vacation we leave the tip already the FIRST day, with the room maid, the waiter, the bellman and so forth. And that for sure helps their memory and make things a little bit quicker, easier and sometimes also more fun.To give a tip after you stay is over and you are ready to leave, what purpose does it serve, maybe because i work in the hospitality industry so long, i think different. And i NEVER forget the Chef*(s) in the kitchen.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]To Insure Promt Service. What is commonly forgotten is that the the TIP was actually given PRIOR to the meal.:D The better the tip the higher you were on the list so to speak. Give a great tip and they were quick to wait on you and give you what you wanted. :evilgrin:

Have you seen the episode of 3rd Rock where Dick does this? Hilarious.

YouTube- 3rd Rock From The Sun - Dick tips

Benedikt
30-08-2010, 18:54
Have you seen the episode of 3rd Rock where Dick does this? Hilarious.

YouTube- 3rd Rock From The Sun - Dick tips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI)

but she should know which dressing goes with the salad, or if she is smart and quick just say' sir, there is no dressing we leave it up to you to choose', she should know what is the soup of the day and most important, make sure you are always aware what is on the 'stop list'.(these are items that the kitchen or bar has run out of.)