PDA

View Full Version : PC Game Store that Sells Eng. Versions ?

Rusty
11-06-2005, 13:41
Are there any good, stores that sell good English version PC games in Moscow ?

I believe I am the only US cit/Astrakhan resident here, so most PC games even the ones that say American-Russian version, do not work in English.

The worst is many even in Russian (I could play), have "!!!!" jibberish so no way to play them (yes USA, MS XP, and have added all RU "other languages to my windows). :cussing:

Broken Arrow
11-06-2005, 15:48
After i installed my media centre edition of Win-XP . I dont have such problems with "!!!!!!". May be it can give you a remedy.

Pobman
11-06-2005, 19:18
In the "Advanced" part of the Regional and Language Options tool in control panel make sure to also change the 'Language for non-unicode programs' to Russian.

If it still does not work go to the MS website and download a little program called Applocal, this allows you to run many non-latin based programs.

MS has promised to fix these codepage problems in the next version of windows... but then they have been saying that for a long long long time.

OH one more thing there is a program called Chameleon (spelling?) which changes some core system files to Cyrilc codepage and with the above changes seems to allows you to run all Russian programs (well I have not found one which does not work). However I have not seen a copy of this program for quite a while and version I have does not work with Office2003.

Chubby Hubby
11-06-2005, 20:41
Yeah this was a big hassle when I had Windows 98. There aren't any good russification programs because everyone uses XP now.

Rusty
12-06-2005, 06:44
Thanks I will try both to get "something" readable.

(Pobman and Broken Arrow) {you gained rep from me}

Thanks Again :bookworm:

Pobman
12-06-2005, 11:06
Thanks I will try both to get "something" readable.

(Pobman and Broken Arrow) {you gained rep from me}

Thanks Again :bookworm:

A point I should make changing 'Language for non-unicode programs' to Russian has some problems. Certain install programs (I know HP drivers and Nero for sure) will install programs in Russian, ie complete Russian user interface, after you make the change.

If you want them in English the best thing is to change back to English while doing the install and then revert to Russian afterwards.

Oh and you need to be using an account with admin rights to even see the 'Language for non-unicode programs' section.

TD
17-06-2005, 22:55
which games are you interested in?

most official licensed games are quite reasonably priced (600R average for new ones, less for older ones), and 100% of the ones I have seen have Russian language documentation and English language game. You can always find documentation in English online if you need it. Only the pirate ones have the actual game in Russian, and the pirate ones don't allow you to play online (usually) since you don't have a valid serial number.

a good chain store for these is Soyuz - lots of locations and good prices... there is one right on the corner of old arbat where the street runs through near the Irish House.

Pobman
18-06-2005, 00:18
Yeah I was quite suprised when I found out the pirate DVD version of Far Cry I had bought turned out to be a genuine version.. was only 250 roubles. All in Russian (ie Russian speach) but that was kind of cool. Got HalfLife2 DVD for 750 roubles, which again was not bad... and all in English this time.

Just need to track down a well priced version of the new GTA now...

Rusty
18-06-2005, 10:56
Many: Pirates of the Caribin(sp), Age of Empirer's (or any of that type). If possible one on line game "Age of Shadows", or "Ultma on-line Gold Edition".

Mosty Stratagy, some role play or Sci-Fi; with statigy

which games are you interested in?

Pobman, had GTA, it is a good game, just as normal was a few patchs out for "glitch" fixs, that I could not install, but the game itself was great.

Pobman
18-06-2005, 11:22
Pobman, had GTA, it is a good game, just as normal was a few patchs out for "glitch" fixs, that I could not install, but the game itself was great.

Well I want to get the newest one, came out a few weeks ago. GTA - San Andreas, and of course unlock those secret girlfriend missions ;)

have played through all the others...

Rusty
18-06-2005, 23:51
Get in Girl, and find any "quite place" :)

unlock those secret girlfriend missions ;)

Pobman
19-06-2005, 12:43
Got hold of the game yesterday from SOyuz ... have to say Vice CIty was better, seemed to have a better response to the controls, esp. the mouse.

P.I.M.P.
22-06-2005, 23:25
Got hold of the game yesterday from SOyuz ... have to say Vice CIty was better, seemed to have a better response to the controls, esp. the mouse.

Nothing better than GTA Somalia though... Bought a copy at Gorbushka this weekend.

Lookinhere
17-12-2007, 16:11
Is their a Place were i can get World of warcraft the burning Crusade retail version with the CD key and everything ???

TD
17-12-2007, 16:34
Is their a Place were i can get World of warcraft the burning Crusade retail version with the CD key and everything ???

sure any Beliye Veter (http://digital.ru/goods/63096.htm) store should have it... WoW is all in english here - if you want a russian interface you have to download it separately

if you like WoW, you should really take a look at EQII (http://everquest2.station.sony.com/en/) as well - much more complex, interesting, and the graphics are way better... there is now a free two week trial which gives you full access to the game - check it out :-)

Lookinhere
17-12-2007, 16:46
thank you ,I will download EQII , do you know if they have the Game at the store or only thru buying it online (World of Warcraft)

TD
17-12-2007, 16:52
they should have it at the store as well - most branches i have been in have had copies on display... there is another chain called HitZona (http://hitzona.ru/?q=node/246#moscow)that also carries it, and I would imagine Soyuz (http://soyuz.ru/-/a/more/z/cat/games/id/e10624/city/125/part/review/wt/srch) would have it as well

you can always call ahead to whichever branch you plan to go to to verify that they have units in stock

Lookinhere
17-12-2007, 17:00
ok dude thx u saved me so much time =)

Lookinhere
17-12-2007, 17:05
oh 1 more question do they carry the game cards for USA servers ?

TD
17-12-2007, 18:05
i know they sell game cards, but not sure what server(s) they are valid on - there are no russian servers so i guess it would be either european or US

best way to go on the monthly fee is via credit/debit card

if you read & write russian there IS a localized version of EQII (http://eq2.akella-online.ru/) which is only 249r/month to play

Lookinhere
18-12-2007, 15:58
yea i though it would be too but they don't accept credit car from Russian banks , on the American servers that why i was looking for a place to buy a USA game card if u can please let me know i would really appericite it =)

DooLittle
19-12-2007, 20:10
WoW is being translated into Russian now, and there will be a choice of Russian-only servers and support by next year, it was announced this week.

The current version in Moscow is in English, but you could always download it in full (considering it is a 5 DVD install though, that would be a long download). I would pay the subscription with a credit card though, the game cards sold here are far more expensive than the actual monthly charge.

I may be mistaken, but if you are in Europe, you will be automatically shunted to EU servers, I don't think you even have a choice of U.S. servers if you are playing from here. You may want to check on this if you are planning on playing with friends from the U.S.. I've found the EU servers to be very friendly for the most part and you get to talk with people from all over the place.

If you do wind up playing, say goodbye to your family, friends, girlfriends, kids, pets, personal hygiene, food, etc. and seriously consider a good bedpan, delivery services and a small refrigerator. It's just a little addictive. :coffee::jester:

TD
20-12-2007, 12:19
I may be mistaken, but if you are in Europe, you will be automatically shunted to EU servers, I don't think you even have a choice of U.S. servers if you are playing from here.

I setup a WoW account a while back - no problem logging into US servers.

Having tried both, my vote is still for Everquest II - WoW is a much simpler version of the same idea... easier to play and compatible with a lot more lower spec hardware. In WoW there is a choice of 10 classes and 9 races to play - EQII has 19 races and 24 class choices.

From a business point of view, making WoW more accessible has paid dividends - 8 million+ subscribers compared to only 500k or so with EQII.

Lookinhere
22-12-2007, 10:48
lol its all good , iv been playing WoW for a while now i have a lvl 60 character , I dont really know how to write in russian although I am , I was raised in America anyways I have a WoW US account thats why iv been looking for a WoW gamecard for the US servers , So u said that the Gamecards works for both ? the euro and usa ? or do they sell difrent versions of it ? like a US gamecar and a Euro gamecard ?

TD
22-12-2007, 14:25
did a search and seems like most shops are selling the euro game cards

i checked at Blizzard, and if you pay directly you are limited to either credit cards or paypal

i did find this person (http://parus.novokuz.net/asp/seller.asp?id_s=42590) who seems to have north american codes for sale via webmoney (http://www.wmtransfer.com/) transfer (you can top up webmoney via scratch off cards or cash machines anywhere in moscow)

Lookinhere
22-12-2007, 14:29
sweet man thx alot , but were can i pick up the cards to pay the guy ? oh and the Burning crusades are USA and Euro right ?

so were can i get the cards ?

TD
22-12-2007, 15:09
you can buy webmoney cards all over town... avoid the "allacard" kiosks though unless you want to pay 30% more for them

best place is probably "Beliye Veter" stores...

or if you have this person's webmoney account number, you can just feed the cash into a machine at any supermarket (save the receipt as proof of payment)

looks like they sell both euro and US versions of everything

my advice would be to contact this person via either email or icq links on his page and ask how best to proceed with payment

Baracuda
23-12-2007, 01:32
Stores with english games... I've usually come across original licensed english games in most stores I've been to even the tiny ones... they're a little hard to spot amongst the russian ones but they're out there.. latest I've got was Timeshift and Crysis