PDA

View Full Version : Russia in color, a century ago

xSnoofovich
23-08-2010, 14:31
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

With images from southern and central Russia in the news lately due to extensive wildfires, I thought it would be interesting to look back in time with this extraordinary collection of color photographs taken between 1909 and 1912. In those years, photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images. The high quality of the images, combined with the bright colors, make it difficult for viewers to believe that they are looking 100 years back in time - when these photographs were taken, neither the Russian Revolution nor World War I had yet begun. Collected here are a few of the hundreds of color images made available by the Library of Congress, which purchased the original glass plates back in 1948.

xSnoofovich
23-08-2010, 14:35
For descriptions of the pictures, please see the link above

ReallyGreatConcerts
23-08-2010, 14:35
I've seen them before, but I never cease to be amazed not only at the beautiful colour reproduction in these pictures - but at the stupendous composition and artistry with which they're taken! Far more than a box of tricks :)

xSnoofovich
23-08-2010, 14:39
the last bunch.. for a few more, please see link above

TolkoRaz
23-08-2010, 16:10
Nice, Thanks Snoofy! :)

But, many photos were not taken in Russia! ;)

xSnoofovich
23-08-2010, 16:26

Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II ?

Would love to see an interactive map of the changing borders of Eastern European countries over the last 500 years......maybe a nice flash presentation....

any help?

Viola
23-08-2010, 16:33

They were taken in Russian Empire :floating:. Many pictures were taken in Crimea, Caucasus and Turkestan (Middle Asia).

xSnoofovich, thank you, very interesting indeed!

There are more here http://rtemes.livejournal.com/10062.html

waxyweller
23-08-2010, 16:34
Amazing !!!
there are cities which still look like this in Russia anyway:idea:

tvadim133
23-08-2010, 16:41
Amazing !!!

Do you mean Tbilisi?

Viola
23-08-2010, 16:46
Amazing !!!

Yes and no. Personally I see it differently. I see at this pictures that before revolution Russia developed evenly at all territory, there is no big difference between cities in the center and remote areas. If it would continue that way Russia would be like America where the level of living doesn't differ dramaticaly whether you live in a major city or in province. After the revolution and collectivisation (creation of kolkhoz) all development happened in several big cities, the rest of the country was neglected.

But this is off topic. Great pictures anyway!

ReallyGreatConcerts
23-08-2010, 17:00
:asskiss:
Originally Posted by TolkoRaz
Nice, Thanks Snoofy!

But, many photos were not taken in Russia!

THe usual witless trash from our friend Tonko Wazz ROFL!! A man unafraid to make an a-hole of himself on any topic!

tvadim133
23-08-2010, 17:04
:asskiss:

THe usual witless trash from our friend Tonko Wazz ROFL!! A man unafraid to make an a-hole of himself on any topic!

But he was right!!!!!

Many pix were taken in Caucasus, Asia (Uzbekistan) and so on (though former Russian Empire).

TolkoRaz
23-08-2010, 17:05
Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II ?

Would love to see an interactive map of the changing borders of Eastern European countries over the last 500 years......maybe a nice flash presentation....

any help?

Thanks Snoofy, I am aware of how the borders changed from the days of the Russian Empire to our present day :)

Thanks again for the photos; they were a pleasure viewing.:thumbsup:

TolkoRaz
23-08-2010, 17:07
But he was right!!!!!

Many pix were taken in Caucasus, Asia (Uzbekistan) and so on (though former Russian Empire).

I think you'll find that the great expert RGC will be 'right'! ;)

There is no point in debating anything with such a highly opinionated and highly charged individual as RGC! :doh:

Viola
23-08-2010, 17:09
The Complete Collection of S. M. Prokudin-Gorsky Color Images (1902 photographs)
(http://www.prokudin-gorsky.ru/)

waxyweller
23-08-2010, 17:17
Do you mean Tbilisi?

Believe me on my way going to Izhevsk , i saw alot of villages like this... I was even pitying them (((((( most of them farmers :nerd: believe me ,it looks just like some part of Africa..

tvadim133
23-08-2010, 17:40
Believe me on my way going to Izhevsk , i saw alot of villages like this... I was even pitying them (((((( most of them farmers :nerd: believe me ,it looks just like some part of Africa..

I do belive you and do not at the same time, because I travelled a lot in Russia.

Villages like Tbilisi?

To compare African villages (I was in some) with Russian villages is smth funny!

Though some places are still like in the 19th century, and frankly speaking they can be exotic even for Russians but beautiful.

waxyweller
23-08-2010, 17:57
You can find houses like this in Izhevsk and Perm too ...even a far worse ones ..those people there see Moscovites like foreigners ,for real .. it was another Russian experience for me ,it was fun there though.. everything is so so cheap there, 1 bedroom apartment europe style 8k rubs... :jester:Wanna go back there:piano::agree:

ReallyGreatConcerts
23-08-2010, 17:59
But he was right!!!!!

They were taken in Russia as it was at the time however.

Wazz is a moron ready to turn any topic to his favourite obsession with white supremacist race-hatred.

TolkoRaz
23-08-2010, 18:11
Wazz is a moron ready to turn any topic to his favourite obsession with white supremacist race-hatred.

RGC spouts forth again! Laughable and total, moronic drivel! ROFL! :D

waxyweller
23-08-2010, 18:17
They were taken in Russia as it was at the time however.

Nobody is turning anything into race related stuffs here... Read and Understand:drink:

TolkoRaz
23-08-2010, 18:24
Originally Posted by ReallyGreatConcerts (Post 19)

RGC's only accurate comment in the whole of this thread is that I am white! :book:

At least he got that much correct! :) And by the way, there is no problem in my book with anybody being anything other than white! :)

waxyweller
23-08-2010, 20:01
ReallyGreatConcerts wise man right? :verycool:

ReallyGreatConcerts
23-08-2010, 21:24
ReallyGreatConcerts wise man right? :verycool:

Wise enough to understand where Russia's borders lay when these photographs were taken in 1908-1912.

Angym
24-08-2010, 00:07
Just this June I was in my native town Essentuky (the North Caucasus) and in the town historical museum I bought several black-white pictures with views of Essentuky, Piatigorsk, Kislovodsk, which was taken in the end of 19 –beginning of 20 centuries. I was charmed that main places of towns r recognizable on pictures and generally changed not so much.

waxyweller
24-08-2010, 01:09
Wise enough to understand where Russia's borders lay when these photographs were taken in 1908-1912.

Oooh too bad i wasn't that wise, well at least now i know when the photographs were taken... which i didn't know before.. Thanks:11033:
:focus:

ds2875
12-01-2011, 21:28
incredible. thanks for sharing.