PDA

View Full Version : translation of licence

Aya77
23-08-2010, 10:13
Hi, where do I get an official translation of my driver's licence and how much should i pay. I've had quotes of 1500 roubles, but i think its too high.
Any adresses would be useful. I think it can be as low as 300 roubles? How much have others paid?

OLDYELLER
23-08-2010, 10:21
Well you have to consider that your translation has to be notarised too...I paid almost the same amount for tanslation and notary together...
The Cops wont accept it if the translation isnt attested by the notary.
It's a rip off if they want you to pay seperately for the Notary...

v.sackville
23-08-2010, 10:56
In my company we deal with perevodchik.ru, so I recommend it. You can get a glimpse of their prices here http://perevodchik.ru/ceny/

So it says, that the translation will cost you 300 rubles, but you should also pay to the notary (they can organise the signing and the stamp) separately, which will cost you 800-1600 rubles depending on the volume of the doc, I think you will end up paying 1000-1500.

A year back or so I paid 6 000 rubles for the translation and notary of my high school diploma, but I used another agency. As mentioned above the police won't accept your doc without the official notary stamp.

Hope it helps.

ReallyGreatConcerts
23-08-2010, 12:31
An alternative is to get the Automobile Association in your country to issue you with an International Licence. This automatically contains the translation and therefore needs no notary stamp on it. A lot cheaper :)

And if any cop ever tries to confiscate your International Licence for what he claims is a serious offence... you just apply to your Automobile Association for a fresh one :) Not that I'd ever encourage anyone to do that, of course...

Monti
23-08-2010, 12:44
Yes very true the translated license issued by the Automobile Association is a good choice .....but some Russian cops can still be dumb enough and ask for a notarised translation inspite the 7 languages present there... the moment they see a foreign license " perevod est? is always the next sentence.It happened with me a couple of times.The dude said that he wanted to see my name,category,date of expiry clearly written in Russian and notarised.

Aya77
23-08-2010, 20:17
An alternative is to get the Automobile Association in your country to issue you with an International Licence. This automatically contains the translation and therefore needs no notary stamp on it. A lot cheaper :)

And if any cop ever tries to confiscate your International Licence for what he claims is a serious offence... you just apply to your Automobile Association for a fresh one :) Not that I'd ever encourage anyone to do that, of course...

Hi Neil, It's Tracy. I first have to prove that an Australian C Class licence does not mean heavy vehicle for hazardous substances, but CAR licence....so im searching that online because the notaries tell me thaey can only translate what there...and i wish they would! instead of trying to change my car licence into a Kategorii C, which it aint. urrgghhhh hate hate hate red tape.

OLDYELLER
26-08-2010, 10:25
I first have to prove that an Australian C Class licence does not mean heavy vehicle for hazardous substances, but CAR licence

this won't be a problem once you get an IDL...They write and translate and explain all categories in 7 different languages.They take about a week to deliver...Once you have that you can get that document translated and keep your Australian one at home.

Salix
27-08-2010, 09:27
Hi all,

Just a comment about the AA international driving licence. I got stopped just last week by the militsia and they didn't have a problem with the AA license.
That didn't stop them from trying to get a bribe for an imagined offence, though.

krolik49
28-09-2010, 16:50
1500 seems to be standard. You're a foreigner therefore you get ripped off.

DavidB
28-09-2010, 23:25
Hi Neil, It's Tracy. I first have to prove that an Australian C Class licence does not mean heavy vehicle for hazardous substances, but CAR licence....so im searching that online because the notaries tell me thaey can only translate what there...and i wish they would! instead of trying to change my car licence into a Kategorii C, which it aint. urrgghhhh hate hate hate red tape.

Hello Tracy,

Australian licenses are usually posted out with an accompanying license class sheet. The problem is that it often doesn't look very official, so most people throw it out.

I'll attach scans of the license-class sheet of my Qld. license. The number at the top right of the first page (77 777 777 D) is also printed on my license card.
Obviously I've Photoshopped the number - I don't want my details all over the internet. :)

You will probably have to ask your state transport department to send you another copy of this form.

An IDP would also contain details of each license cl**** but I don't know that they are recognised in Russia. Maybe they are supposed to be, but in practice they aren't.

By the way, you can blame all of your trouble on the state governments. They wouldn't give the federal government permission to negotiate the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic on their behalf, so in the end Australia didn't sign it.

Cheers!

siemens
30-09-2010, 15:50
Hello all,

Let me tell you a story. Once my friends were in the accident. A guy from German injured their car. This guy didn't have an International Driving license, just a notarized translation.
Militziya didn't want to let him go...

I suggest everyone to get an international driving license...

Benedikt
30-09-2010, 22:01
by law you just need a notarized (not apostilled) translation of your drivers license. that license is valid as long as your visa. or so the 'law' says.
Funny though, when you come back with a new visa, why make a new translation for your drivers license, since the number of your visa is nowhere to be seen on the translation of the drivers license.