PDA

View Full Version : now THAT is a house...

Benedikt
22-08-2010, 12:35
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704868604575433410650321600.html?mod=yahoo_RE
i think i also want one like that.:agree: but suppose here with the russian winters and so much window front the place will be impossible to keep warm. so i will move to california, and for 23 or was it 32,millions without furniture, it for sure is a bargain...

Gypsy
22-08-2010, 12:41
What a sensational house.

It is a strange coincidence though because I am trying to buy some land in France to have a house built - and the house you pointed out is exactly as per my design.

I think the flat roof in a country with lots of snow may be a mistake, but in Southern Califiornia not such a problem. You are right about the amount of gl**** but they have made such technological progress with gl**** special thermal coatings etc, that it can practically heat the house and keeps 99% of the heat inside.

Thanks - made my day.

Carbo
22-08-2010, 12:46
What a sensational house.

It is a strange coincidence though because I am trying to buy some land in France to have a house built - and the house you pointed out is exactly as per my design.

I think the flat roof in a country with lots of snow may be a mistake, but in Southern Califiornia not such a problem. You are right about the amount of gl**** but they have made such technological progress with gl**** special thermal coatings etc, that it can practically heat the house and keeps 99% of the heat inside.

Thanks - made my day.
If you like houses like that, may I recommend Kanya West's blog? (Yes, the rapper).

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/category/blog/architecture/

Swordfish90293
22-08-2010, 12:51
Pre-fab houses are becoming very popular in the States. They leave lots of options for the builder and can be assembled in as little as 48 hours. Many are also modular and can be assembled in different configuratipns.

Don't forget the basement with wine cellar and panic room...

2ndWind
23-08-2010, 06:04
Pre-fab houses are becoming very popular in the States.

In the 1920s a person could order a home from the Sears-Roebuck mail order catalog. My grandfather and a couple of his brothers-in-law built at least a couple for other people. A package of precut lumber and all necessary building materials was shipped to the nearest railway station where the lot was then freighted by horse drawn wagon to the building site. Then just assemble according to directions.

Manufactured housing/mobile homes/house trailers - call them what you will, are a blight across this land. Flimsy, poorly constructed, unsafe - they are bought and abandoned in their thousands. They have been a growing problem (in my opinion) since the 1950s.

There are such things as off-site constructed, pre-fab components (rooms) which are then joined together on site and some seem to be fairly well constructed but I haven't seen one like that anywhere around here.

Gypsy
23-08-2010, 12:16
In the 1920s a person could order a home from the Sears-Roebuck mail order catalog. My grandfather and a couple of his brothers-in-law built at least a couple for other people. A package of precut lumber and all necessary building materials was shipped to the nearest railway station where the lot was then freighted by horse drawn wagon to the building site. Then just assemble according to directions.

Manufactured housing/mobile homes/house trailers - call them what you will, are a blight across this land. Flimsy, poorly constructed, unsafe - they are bought and abandoned in their thousands. They have been a growing problem (in my opinion) since the 1950s.

There are such things as off-site constructed, pre-fab components (rooms) which are then joined together on site and some seem to be fairly well constructed but I haven't seen one like that anywhere around here.
The Swedish house companies manufacture all the components of your design in a factory; the units are then shipped to your site and assembled there. The wall panels have windows and doors already fitted - usually triple glazed with thermal coatings. You would never know these houses were manufactured in a factory if you didn't know.

There are several in Barvikha and surrounding villages incidentally.

2ndWind
23-08-2010, 17:04
The Swedish house companies manufacture all the components of your design in a factory;. . .
There are several in Barvikha and surrounding villages incidentally.

Shortly after my posting, I saw this in the USA WEEKEND supplement to my Sunday newspaper.
http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20100820/HOME/8220304/Prefab-homes-get-chic

The piece doesn't say anything about suppliers. She does quote Sheri Koones, "author of Prefabulous + Sustainable (Abrams)".

Perhaps a building method which has been around for nearly a century (probably longer) will finally come into its own.

One of my former brothers-in-law and his family built a beautiful "dome home" from a kit in the 1970s. They hired out the foundation work and cabinetry and did the rest of the assembly work themselves. I wouldn't have believed it but they did a good job.

Wish the pretty prefabs would become popular around here and replace the cracker boxes on wheels.

mers6000
23-08-2010, 17:25
Tastes differ. But a house should have a roof & the walls.

Gypsy
23-08-2010, 17:55
Tastes differ. But a house should have a roof & the walls.

All those shown have walls and a roof.

yakspeare
23-08-2010, 18:22
this is what i used to sell in Australia...pretty easy selling to be honest despite the price tag...architects also did the four seasons in Bali. it is the ultimate in open plan living with 6 star concierge service to boot.

http://baleportdouglas.com/bpd/index.html

waxyweller
23-08-2010, 18:26
$32M is sure gotta cover all furnitures ... Its beautiful but too expensive :confused:

Gypsy
23-08-2010, 18:34
this is what i used to sell in Australia...pretty easy selling to be honest despite the price tag...architects also did the four seasons in Bali. it is the ultimate in open plan living with 6 star concierge service to boot.

http://baleportdouglas.com/bpd/index.html

Beautiful Yak. Guess it helps to be able to live outside most of the year too.

Swordfish90293
23-08-2010, 19:45

Hi Windy...I think though we're talking the modern architect variety here. I also recall the pre-fabs such as those sold through Sears. My Mom dissuaded my brother, himself an architect, from building one.

Baron
23-08-2010, 20:00
Eeek - not my style at all. I'd much prefer to spend $30m on something like this:

http://www.prestigeproperty.co.uk/property/120044/French-Chateau-in-Location-Withheld-Jura-39-France/

Or this:

http://www.prestigeproperty.co.uk/property/133586/French-Chateau-in-Bordeaux-Gironde-33-France/

(or indeed both for $30m!)

2ndWind
24-08-2010, 01:42
Hi Windy...I think though we're talking the modern architect variety here. I also recall the pre-fabs such as those sold through Sears. My Mom dissuaded my brother, himself an architect, from building one.

Quite right. The OP relates to a modern "ooh aah" home. The post to which I responded related to "modern" prefab homes. I don't know why your Mom dissuaded your brother. Those that my grandfather built are still occupied and still look good.

When the post that I responded to mentioned prefab, I was afraid it might relate to the cheap factory built homes.

For images of some of the Sears home styles that your brother could have chosen, see:

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1921-1926.htm

Since your brother is an architect then I'm sure he knew what he was doing.