PDA

View Full Version : Russia to Launch 24-Hour English News TV Channel

monkey-girl
07-06-2005, 12:08
Russia has begun setting up an English- language news television channel, Russia Today.

http://www.spacenewsfeed.co.uk/2005/5June2005_5.html

Prokupchika
07-06-2005, 12:13
WIll it be as tedious and unwatchable as Euronews?

sevan
07-06-2005, 12:16
I wonder where they'll find the English-speakers willing and able to read the bullsh*t that they're going broadcast with a straight face and not a hint of sarcasm.

"And in the latest episode of 'The Putin Diaries'...."

chunkyhunkymonkey
07-06-2005, 12:21
the crap-o-meter is off the scale :D

dagar
07-06-2005, 12:36
Russia is still against any other language News channel.
Dagar

sevan
07-06-2005, 13:00
Russia is still against any other language News channel.
Dagar

I do not understand what you are trying to say.

jheisel
07-06-2005, 15:32
I wonder where they'll find the English-speakers willing and able to read the bullsh*t that they're going broadcast with a straight face and not a hint of sarcasm.

"And in the latest episode of 'The Putin Diaries'...."

They'll get the same horribly-accented English speakers that they use in airport/train station/etc. announcements, no doubt.

sevan
07-06-2005, 15:39
actually they're apparently recruiting in London.

why they would want their news anchors to have thay funny island accent I cannot fathom....:D

jheisel
07-06-2005, 15:40
Ah, so the presenters will be the children of the nouveau-riche. That should be less annoying, but only moderately so.

sevan
07-06-2005, 15:42
Ah, so the presenters will be the children of the nouveau-riche. That should be less annoying, but only moderately so.

I have a feeling those kids won't be interested in that kind of job....

DPG
07-06-2005, 15:48
why they would want their news anchors to have thay funny island accent I cannot fathom....:D

Erm...!:D

SpruceGoose
08-06-2005, 13:05
Erm...!:D

I reckon what they really need (and will quite probably get) is a couple of turban wearing, gold bespangled indians to jabber on with the basic day to day stuff, someone from Sheffield (UK) to do some in depth reports, with a big black jamaican wearing a rasta tea cozy to do the weather. Throw in a couple of Boer South Africans to do some sport, and a big fat food and wine guide from Australia somewhere (who wears braces instead of a belt, a shirt which requires all viewers to wear sunglasses, who grins manically and says gidday every sixth word whilst standing in front of a cardboard cutout of Sydney harbour), and an introductory voice over done by a pissed Irishman (preferably sung), and you'd have the complete angliskii news service!

Canuck
08-06-2005, 13:51
I reckon what they really need (and will quite probably get) is a couple of turban wearing, gold bespangled indians to jabber on with the basic day to day stuff, someone from Sheffield (UK) to do some in depth reports, with a big black jamaican wearing a rasta tea cozy to do the weather. Throw in a couple of Boer South Africans to do some sport, and a big fat food and wine guide from Australia somewhere (who wears braces instead of a belt, a shirt which requires all viewers to wear sunglasses, who grins manically and says gidday every sixth word whilst standing in front of a cardboard cutout of Sydney harbour), and an introductory voice over done by a pissed Irishman (preferably sung), and you'd have the complete angliskii news service!

Hahahah..! :verycool:

chunkyhunkymonkey
09-06-2005, 10:14
...and just as Russia announces its "Russia Today" Channel, France has to get in on the action too.....

EU approves French news channel
Wednesday, June 8 2005, 01:06 BST -- by Neil Wilkes

The European Commission has given the green light to a new news channel dubbed "the French CNN."

The French International News Channel (Chaîne Française d’Information Internationale), a joint venture between the state-operated France Television and private broadcaster TF1, aims to present international news from a French perspective. The government is investing €30 million (£20.1m) in the project.

The commission said that although it involved state aid, "it could nevertheless be authorized as a project financing a service of general economic interest.

"The Commission also concluded that the project offered sufficient guarantees against the risk of distortion of competition, for example by preventing unjustified transfers of public funds to France Television and TF1, who will be shareholders in the future channel."

CFII, which will not air in France, could be on air by the end of the year.

Ned Kelly
09-06-2005, 12:11
the shame of it is that anti-russian bias is pervasive in the western media and there is a place for a russian english language station providing a more balanced view.

unfortunately the jokers running state television are too incompetent to be able to slide into the niche. i'm afraid we're going to be consigned to drivel.

SpruceGoose
09-06-2005, 12:20
the shame of it is that anti-russian bias is pervasive in the western media and there is a place for a russian english language station providing a more balanced view.

unfortunately the jokers running state television are too incompetent to be able to slide into the niche. i'm afraid we're going to be consigned to drivel.

You arent kidding about the anti russian bias. Some of it may be justified but the toasting this place gets week in week out from the economist or FT or WSJ is still pretty amazing. Even the broadcast media (CNN and BBC for starters) cant seem to step away from a lot of backhand compliments (at best) or downright hostility to the place.

Benedikt
09-06-2005, 14:32
... if the russian tv channel is only half as bad as the drivel one has to listen to on voa (fair enough there is a button that says 'off' and it is everybodies option and definitely mine), than it can't be that bad.
the brits have bbc ( and don't tell me they are independent), the us have voice or america, germany has deutsche welle, so what is wrong that russia wants his own english language channel. fair enough they will broadcast most probably government views, as to both bbc and voa.
and for the 'horrible english speakers'. i am sure they will find something better than 'turban wearing' or 'gum chewing' presenters.
what a bunch of negative people you are. if there is NOTHING right here in russia, go back where you come from ( and live on the lousy salary that you might earn back home). if you will be able to get a job at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpruceGoose
11-06-2005, 10:48
Stick Management 101

Step 1: Take stick,

Step 2: Give opposition a solid working over

Step 3: Then stick it up 'em

...........Step 1(a)........Ensure you have the right end of the stick

Excellent enthusiasm, commitment to the task at hand, and you're coming the right place. But have a look at your technique on 1(a)