PDA

View Full Version : Utilities in Moscow

Judystaylor
07-06-2005, 01:52
Need help to get information quick. Can anyone give me a comparison of how expensive utilities in Moscow are as apposed to the US. Do you think they would be more expensive, the same or cheaper. I think I have seen a thread indicating that heat is cheaper than in UK, but again can anyone compare heat and electric to the US.

I would appreciate your help. :respect:

DPG
07-06-2005, 08:13
No idea how much they are in the US unfortunately, but to give you an actual figure, here, in an approximately 40 square meter flat with lot's of electronics used (PC, TV, DVD, music, fans, heaters etc) I pay about $18 every couple of months for everything...

BrianPBG
07-06-2005, 09:00
wow $18!!!

I must get jipped over here in the US. I paid $185 last month for my electricity alone. Maybe I should move to moscow, because BGE is stealing my money.

plastique
07-06-2005, 09:31
most of the places I have lived in have seen the owner pay all the utilities...there is no where near the number of bills here...no sewage, no trash removal, electricity and phone are the most i have seen...i have never had a gas, heating, etc bill like in the states...use calling cards as they will give you much better rates than the phone company for international calls.

veejay
07-06-2005, 10:02
heat is paid by the city. the owner / person dwelling in the flat should pay electricity and perhaps gas, as well as telephone. everything is much, much cheaper here than in the US.

J.D.
07-06-2005, 11:15
Heat, gas, water and hot water are paid by the owner of the flat. They are assessed based on square footage (meterage?) and the number of registered occupants. Don't know the exact rate but it is way cheaper than in te West. That is one of the issues that that the WTO has with Russia over their subsidized energy. Electricity is the only thing that is metered and it also is way cheaper here. This is why Russia has the highest per capita energy consumption in the world. They think it is free and waste it accordingly. They 'turn down' the heat by opening a window. The toilet leaks and they just let it run 24 hours a day.
I have read that the city is metering the water on some new buildings now.

equalizer
07-06-2005, 11:24
Heat, gas, water and hot water are paid by the owner of the flat. They are assessed based on square footage (meterage?) and the number of registered occupants. Don't know the exact rate but it is way cheaper than in te West. That is one of the issues that that the WTO has with Russia over their subsidized energy. Electricity is the only thing that is metered and it also is way cheaper here. This is why Russia has the highest per capita energy consumption in the world. They think it is free and waste it accordingly. They 'turn down' the heat by opening a window. The toilet leaks and they just let it run 24 hours a day.
I have read that the city is metering the water on some new buildings now.
if you really want to see waste at a record leval look no further than car cleaning centre under the aerostar ,best hot water car wash in moscow, 10 bays running full bore all day

Surok
07-06-2005, 11:32
They 'turn down' the heat by opening a window.

Well, in many apartments, there is no other way of turning down the heat!

alterego
07-06-2005, 11:34

All radiators have a valve, although this valve does not always work.

Surok
07-06-2005, 11:36
All radiators have a valve, although this valve does not always work.

They do? I have only seen valves on newer radiators.

equalizer
07-06-2005, 11:39
you can actually turn the water valve down and that will restrict the amount of hot water passing into the radiator,but thats hard work when you can just open the window
or for 300 us per radiator you can fit thermostatic valves which control the room temperature automatically very ecofriendly ,but as yet not so popular in private home dwellings

sevan
07-06-2005, 11:39
we pay about $35/month for our two-room apartment, and our neighbors pay around $50 for their three-room. This includes heat, water (usually hot too), electricity.....

Judystaylor
07-06-2005, 18:13
Thanks for responding so quickly. You guys are great, I'm so glad I found this forum.

Greatful.

:respect:

equalizer
07-06-2005, 18:58
Thanks for responding so quickly. You guys are great, I'm so glad I found this forum.

Greatful.

:respect:
can i ask how is the heating supplied to your house by an boiler in the house or from a power station then sent by mains pipes

J.D.
07-06-2005, 23:03
I just looked at my electric bill. I'm paying 1.53 rubles per kilowatt hour.

Pobman
08-06-2005, 09:02
I believe if your cooking is done by electric you pay less per KWH than if you have gas. I pay about $400 a year for electricity, which covers all the cooking, 3 aircon units and vast amounts of power consumed by amps and subs :)

Several people, including shops which sell them, have told me that the thermostatic valves are not too good here in Moscow as they clog up with all the gunk which is in the water (anyway much less than $300 US! mostly around 10-15$). I just have the lever type shutoff valves, seem to work a little better than the screw type and were just a few $ each.

equalizer
08-06-2005, 12:04
I believe if your cooking is done by electric you pay less per KWH than if you have gas. I pay about $400 a year for electricity, which covers all the cooking, 3 aircon units and vast amounts of power consumed by amps and subs :)

Several people, including shops which sell them, have told me that the thermostatic valves are not too good here in Moscow as they clog up with all the gunk which is in the water (anyway much less than $300 US! mostly around 10-15$). I just have the lever type shutoff valves, seem to work a little better than the screw type and were just a few $ each.
sorry for the misunderstanding but the 300us quote was for changing the old Manuel valves cutting the pipes to size and obviously obviously depending on the time of year draining the system down and paying off zheck to do that and therm valves come in various types ie low water pressure and for moscows high pressure heating system you must buy high pressure valves made of brass to avoid the attack of corrosion ,so i must confer 300us is a lot for buying off the shelf but remember it has to be fitted

Pobman
08-06-2005, 12:22
sorry for the misunderstanding but the 300us quote was for changing the old Manuel valves cutting the pipes to size and obviously obviously depending on the time of year draining the system down and paying off zheck to do that and therm valves come in various types ie low water pressure and for moscows high pressure heating system you must buy high pressure valves made of brass to avoid the attack of corrosion ,so i must confer 300us is a lot for buying off the shelf but remember it has to be fitted

:)

The people who did (or should I say are still doing) my renovation also said that there was not enough pressure in the system to make the valves work properly. I dont know how the valves works to be honest so I dont know how true that is... but anyway the simple shut off vavle was enough in my old flat so should be OK in the new.

I had them hide the pipes in the wall, and the builder commented that most people like the pipes to be in the room to increase the amount of heat!!! increase!!! as if 30C+ is not enough....

equalizer
08-06-2005, 12:43
:)

The people who did (or should I say are still doing) my renovation also said that there was not enough pressure in the system to make the valves work properly. I dont know how the valves works to be honest so I dont know how true that is... but anyway the simple shut off valve was enough in my old flat so should be OK in the new.

I had them hide the pipes in the wall, and the builder commented that most people like the pipes to be in the room to increase the amount of heat!!! increase!!! as if 30C+ is not enough....
the valves are usually gas filled and a spring mechanism to alter the water flow,but he is right to an extent as the bits of crap that enter the heating pipes through holes etc will just jam the thermo valves .
better just stay with the Manuel ones ,as for hiding your pipes in the wall make sure they cannot freeze in winter if the heating goes off ,another reason for the being exposed in the apartment but if you have small children these pipes and radiators can be deadly to young hands