PDA

View Full Version : Best countries to live in

Rhubard Geoff
18-08-2010, 10:58
According to Newsweek survey

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/interactive-infographic-of-the-worlds-best-countries.html

Gypsy
18-08-2010, 11:08
So I could improve my life by moving to Ukraine, or Cuba?, Jamaica?

Swordfish90293
18-08-2010, 11:11
I don't doubt the rankings and method are valid on some planes, but there's some strange comparisons...South Korea edges out France...Slovenia ahead of Czech Rep...Jamaica and Ukraine ahead of Russia...

martpark
18-08-2010, 11:18
Ah, that inferiority complex to Ukraine comes out again. It says why right next to the names and they have near identical scores, except economy.

Rhubard Geoff
18-08-2010, 11:24

But maybe not your salary?

Gypsy
18-08-2010, 11:32
But maybe not your salary?

Well as my salary is pretty much zero I wouldn't be so sure.

Mirka
18-08-2010, 11:58

or to Slovakia ;) We are 31st. Yay! :)

Gypsy
18-08-2010, 12:01
or to Slovakia ;) We are 31st. Yay! :)

Yup - I like the sound of Slovakia. You must show me around some time.

Carbo
18-08-2010, 12:05
Yup - I like the sound of Slovakia. You must show me around some time.

You're such an incorrigible flirt, Gypsy.

martpark
18-08-2010, 20:03
To Finland who came in at #1!

YouTube- Finland

Catalonix
18-08-2010, 21:57
I'm saving and earning money this fall-winter-summer, and should this crappy smog weather come back I'm buying myself a cottage in Finland and disappearing there for as long as I can =)

Jack17
18-08-2010, 23:04
I don't doubt the rankings and method are valid on some planes, but there's some strange comparisons...South Korea edges out France...Slovenia ahead of Czech Rep...Jamaica and Ukraine ahead of Russia...
What about Japan ahead of the US? I don't think so; unless you enjoy being a sardine - but the bath houses are nice.

Jack17
18-08-2010, 23:07
Cuba definitely - one of the worlds best kept secrets, especially for us cigar and women connoisseurs. So who's anti-Communist?

The more I look at this list, the angrier I become. Argentina, Guatemala and Panama below Mexico? What, is one of the positive criteria here the likelihood of being kidnapped? In almost every conceivable category, anyone of those countries would be light years better than Mexico; hell, Trotsky was murdered in Mexico - that should tell you something.

waxyweller
19-08-2010, 00:23
:rant: THE RANKING IS POOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Israel is even at number 22 ...and Russia number 51 ....No way ! i can't even go to Israel for tour .... they even rated Singapore more than Russia ... NO WAY :rant:

tvadim133
19-08-2010, 00:38
hell, Trotsky was murdered in Mexico - that should tell you something.

It tells nothing, "Russians" can "find" you everywhere!

waxyweller
19-08-2010, 00:46
It tells nothing, "Russians" can "find" you everywhere!

You are %100 right ....
After the Russian mafians , i respect the Yakuza's ... they do anything to catch there victim

Rhubard Geoff
19-08-2010, 08:34
:rant: THE RANKING IS POOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Israel is even at number 22 ...and Russia number 51 ....No way ! i can't even go to Israel for tour .... they even rated Singapore more than Russia ... NO WAY :rant:

Out of interest, why do you think Russia is a better place to live than Singapore?

yakspeare
19-08-2010, 08:53
israel is quite a nice place to live i even considered moving there and a few of my friends have. singapore i have been to countless times and the standard of living is certainly higher than russia.

at least it validates my argument about life in australia as we are near top of the list. we are indeed the lucky country as they say.

Gypsy
19-08-2010, 08:57
Cuba definitely - one of the worlds best kept secrets, especially for us cigar and women connoisseurs. So who's anti-Communist?

The more I look at this list, the angrier I become. Argentina, Guatemala and Panama below Mexico? What, is one of the positive criteria here the likelihood of being kidnapped? In almost every conceivable category, anyone of those countries would be light years better than Mexico; hell, Trotsky was murdered in Mexico - that should tell you something.

To be fair I think Trotsky would have been killed whichever country he happened to be in.

How Finland gets to be top is a puzzle - a country whose national sport is killing yourself. How can it be so high in the suicide charts, no 4 I think, and also be the best place to live?

Mirka
19-08-2010, 09:42
To be fair I think Trotsky would have been killed whichever country he happened to be in.

How Finland gets to be top is a puzzle - a country whose national sport is killing yourself. How can it be so high in the suicide charts, no 4 I think, and also be the best place to live?

My comment to Finland: 'Anything to declear? Don't go to Finland' :)
I was bored there to death. And it is really cold there.

sweetfart
19-08-2010, 10:10
Yeah Finland is definitely a good country. Very smart people. They already figured out a good trend for population control: suicide.

http://fathersforlife.org/health/who_suicide_rates.htm

Number three, woo ranking high!

sweetfart
19-08-2010, 10:16
My comment to Finland: 'Anything to declear? Don't go to Finland' :)
I was bored there to death. And it is really cold there.
Well boring places are often the "most livable." There was a report issued similar to this on US individual states some years ago. It rated Minnesota as the most livable and I think Florida was the least livable. Do you see a trend here? Minnesota isn't attracting high amounts of people like Florida so there isn't any competition for jobs. Plus lower population theoretically means lower crime. Nobody else wants to live in Finland so that's why it is livable for the ones already there.

Mirka
19-08-2010, 12:22
Well boring places are often the "most livable." There was a report issued similar to this on US individual states some years ago. It rated Minnesota as the most livable and I think Florida was the least livable. Do you see a trend here? Minnesota isn't attracting high amounts of people like Florida so there isn't any competition for jobs. Plus lower population theoretically means lower crime. Nobody else wants to live in Finland so that's why it is livable for the ones already there.

I dissagree with this reasoning. Best place to live are ranked by different criteria and these are future projects, health, enviroment, crime, geography, education, population, work life balance, puchasing power, culture. Not all criteria are used in all cases.

33 of top 1000 publicly owned companies in the USA have headquater in Minessota (with 5,7 mio inhabitants it is quite high to my opinion) and is showing 10th highest personal income per capita. Also the nature is amazing there with a lot of outdoor activities and very long live expectance rate. And it was home of Prince and Bob Dylan ;)

Florida has higher GDP per state but lower personal income then Minessota.

I see it this way. It would be cheaper to live in Minessota compare to Forida with higher income in Minessota which is giving you higher disponible income. For me this would be the decision for a state to live in and not the amount of people. Also it is much warmer in Florida compare to Minessota and that I don't like :)

martpark
19-08-2010, 12:42
I dissagree with this reasoning. Best place to live are ranked by different criteria and these are future projects, health, enviroment, crime, geography, education, population, work life balance, puchasing power, culture. Not all criteria are used in all cases.

33 of top 1000 publicly owned companies in the USA have headquater in Minessota (with 5,7 mio inhabitants it is quite high to my opinion) and is showing 10th highest personal income per capita. Also the nature is amazing there with a lot of outdoor activities and very long live expectance rate. And it was home of Prince and Bob Dylan ;)

Florida has higher GDP per state but lower personal income then Minessota.

I see it this way. It would be cheaper to live in Minessota compare to Forida with higher income in Minessota which is giving you higher disponible income. For me this would be the decision for a state to live in and not the amount of people. Also it is much warmer in Florida compare to Minessota and that I don't like :)
Also, Sweet one, Florida is more interesting than Minnesota? Why do you think Marilyn Manson dresses the way he does?

Gypsy
19-08-2010, 12:54
Also, Sweet one, Florida is more interesting than Minnesota? Why do you think Marilyn Manson dresses the way he does?

Why do you think Florida is more interesting?

I have never been to either place - and you'd have to drug me and drag me unconscious to Florida - I can't imagine much worse - but would have thought a state with high incomes, thousands of lakes, plenty of forests etc would be a nicer place to live than Florida.

martpark
19-08-2010, 13:00
Why do you think Florida is more interesting?

I have never been to either place - and you'd have to drug me and drag me unconscious to Florida - I can't imagine much worse - but would have thought a state with high incomes, thousands of lakes, plenty of forests etc would be a nicer place to live than Florida.

I was saying the opposite, actually. Florida is for retirees and Disney World devotees. Marilyn Manson began to dress up to shock the sedate Christian folks around him.

Mirka
19-08-2010, 13:08

ahahahaha Marlyn Manson. Not that I don't like to listen to him from time to time I would still rather choose Prince or Bob :)

Mirka
19-08-2010, 13:10
I was saying the opposite, actually. Florida is for retirees and Disney World devotees. Marilyn Manson began to dress up to shock the sedate Christian folks around him.

Yeah this is a good way how to shock Christian folks. Hahaha. I would love to see their faces :)

Nobbynumbnuts
19-08-2010, 13:15

Excuse me. Singapore is not a better place to live than Russia? Why the hell not?

trancophile
19-08-2010, 14:06
New Zealand13th/Australia4th...I got it going on....ohhhh yeah.

Gypsy
19-08-2010, 14:11

Apologies - late night last night.