PDA

View Full Version : Come On London!!!!

Judge
06-06-2005, 12:03
LONDON GAINING ON PARIS

London's bid to host the 2012 Olympic games could get a boost.

Reports suggest Olympic inspectors will declare the capital is just as well equipped as Paris to hold the world's biggest sporting event.

The two cities have emerged as the front-runners in the race to host the 2012 Games.

But New York still believes it is a viable contender, although Moscow and Madrid are thought to be out of the running.

The International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Evaluation Commission is publishing its report into the five cities bidding for the event.

It will praise the capital for making major progress in improving areas such as transport and public and political support.

An Olympic source told The Observer: "It's going to show that there's little now to choose between London and Paris."

An IOC member told the newspaper: "London is now back on song and is now feared by the other cities.

"Paris is slightly ahead in the running, I would say, but by July it could all be up for grabs. London has a great chance."

Cherry
06-06-2005, 12:35
Forget it! Moscow will have it! :inlove:

Judge
06-06-2005, 12:43
Moscow are out of the running,they held the games in 1980 give some other country a chance.London will get wait and see.Thoses frogs will get sod all.

DPG
06-06-2005, 13:11
Moscow will have it!

Moscow didn't want it in the first place!!:

Cherry
06-06-2005, 13:40
Moscow didn't want it in the first place!!:

haha funny indeed:)

but why not??? do you think Moscow doesn't deserve to have the Olympics? :)

Judge
06-06-2005, 22:31
Moscow would lose out cash wise if they held it.For them to stage such an event they would need the billions of Roman,opps sorry forgot he's spending his hard earned cash in the UK..

Prokupchika
07-06-2005, 01:54
Moscow has absolutely no chance of staging the Olympic games any time in the next 100 years- just look around you. The roads, the lack of hotels, facilities, the airports, etc etc etc. In fact, you have to wonder whose palm Luzhkov has been greasing to even get this far.

Braders
07-06-2005, 06:02
Moscow are out of the running,they held the games in 1980 give some other country a chance.London will get wait and see.Thoses frogs will get sod all.

Have to agree with Prokupchika, if Moscow last held it in 1912 they wouldn't be in the reckoning.

Cherry
07-06-2005, 11:36
Moscow has absolutely no chance of staging the Olympic games any time in the next 100 years- just look around you. The roads, the lack of hotels, facilities, the airports, etc etc etc. In fact, you have to wonder whose palm Luzhkov has been greasing to even get this far.
i don't agree... we had the Olympics in 1980.. everything went just fine. after that there were the Olympics for the young...and there were NO problem with the accomodation at all...
Airports? look at Domodedovo... it has been upgraded to an average European level...

So.. Go Moscow! :)

equalizer
07-06-2005, 11:47
i don't agree... we had the Olympics in 1980.. everything went just fine. after that there were the Olympics for the young...and there were NO problem with the accommodation at all...
Airports? look at Domodedovo... it has been upgraded to an average European level...

if Moscow would waive the visa requirements then i truly believe it might be worth it and the decision is also political as i was in china when china was announced 2008 and was i surprised and if china can pull it off ,i think Moscow may still get there,as beijing is a hot ,stuffy, smokey ,bicycle infested shi* hole,
but the foods good and really cheap

Lled
07-06-2005, 11:51
i don't agree... we had the Olympics in 1980.. everything went just fine. after that there were the Olympics for the young...and there were NO problem with the accomodation at all...

Not many people showed up if I remember correctly, or was it differently reported over here...??

Prokupchika
07-06-2005, 11:58
The Olympic games today are a completely different kettle of fish from 25 years ago when Moscow last held them. The whole event has probably tripled if not quadrupled in size. Moscow doesn't have enough hotels to house the journalists that would come from all over the world, never mind the spectators and everyone else who comes along.

Much as I would love to see Moscow hold the Olympics, there is just no way it can. If cities like Madrid and New York are having trouble convincng the IOC that they can do it, what chance does Moscow have?

equalizer
07-06-2005, 12:03
Not many people showed up if I remember correctly, or was it differently reported over here...??
how old are you ,the only thing i remember in the 80s was the Falklands war
and i was drawing pictures of the warships in primary school with crayon ,what schooling did you get ? my daily gazet was the beano

trebor
07-06-2005, 12:04
haha funny indeed:)

but why not??? do you think Moscow doesn't deserve to have the Olympics? :)

The people of Moscow deserve it and deserve something to cheer about but the Government and leaders of city certainly don't.
What did they have to show the inspectors when they came?
The airport?
Accomodation?
Security?
Was the water and electricity working?
Its all a joke. If they are serious about getting the games one day they need to get off there stupid ars*s and start making changes now.

Lled
07-06-2005, 12:07
how old are you ,the only thing i remember in the 80s was the Falklands war - Hmmmm, I remember the taste of Argentinian veins between my teethand i was drawing pictures of the warships in primary school with crayon ,what schooling did you get :sunny: have a smiley sun for correctly spelling "schooling"? my daily gazet was the beano - I can well imagine

Now get back on thread.

equalizer
07-06-2005, 12:08
The people of Moscow deserve it and deserve something to cheer about but the Government and leaders of city certainly don't.
The airport?
Accomodation?
Security?
Its all a joke. If they are serious about getting the games one day they need to get off there stupid ars*s and start making changes now.
but do they really want it or need it,thats the question

Cherry
07-06-2005, 12:27

Americans boycotted the Games due to Afghanistan war.

Cherry
07-06-2005, 12:31
By the way do you think that Games in Greece were a success? :suspect:

Random
07-06-2005, 12:35
Please let the games go to Paris !!

Vast swathes of the eastend of London will become a concrete jungle otherwise ...

Sorry I don't want London to get the bid

Did the bubbles make money out of it - no they didn't !!

Judge
07-06-2005, 13:28
The airport?
Accomodation?
Security?

Like having hot water in July :rolleyes:

Ned Kelly
12-06-2005, 11:46
the history of the olympics, salt lake city being only the most recent example, shows that the selection process is totally rotten. i'm not sure how else you could explain los angeles hosting it in 1984 and atlanta in 1996.

if something is corrupt and can be bought then you would have to put russia right up in the front ranks of being able to "win".

as to a lack of facilities, that's nonsense. greece and sydney had none. you win and build. and one thing you can say about the bald turd who runs moscow is that he and his cronies don't mind a bit of building. also in russia, if a bit of political will goes behind something then it tends to happen and happen successfully. i think moscow would put on a stunning performance.

SpruceGoose
12-06-2005, 15:36
The airport?
Accomodation?
Security?

I reckon you're a little tough there old son. You could have asked all the same questions of Athens three years ago and got worse calls than you'd get for Moscow now.

I dont think Moscow will get them but thats mainly because I reckon the whole process is about as throughly corrupt and rotten as you can get and controlled by an elite for whom the rotten and corrupt russian types arent yet on the inside of yet.

But I reckon Moscow would have to have upside on the actual sporting facilities, transport system. The accommodation is being built at a frenzied rate already, the security is going to be no better anywhere else (certainly not London or Paris - maybe a little more 'in your face' here but I doubt if its worse) and the airport could presumably be fixed before 2012 (If they could fix Sydney and Athens for 3 weeks surely Moscow could do the same)

My tuppence ha' penny's worth

trebor
12-06-2005, 18:35
........as to a lack of facilities, that's nonsense. greece and sydney had none.

Greece got the games because because of their history and the IOC and others wanted to see the games return there for the millenium.
The following fiasco with their building plans just proves my point.
Why would the IOC give the games to Moscow when very little has been done for the city so far. Not as if they don't have the money.
Sydney will need more hotels, stadiums and the transport system upgraded but that's work most winners have to undertake.

Smurfette
12-06-2005, 19:38
Greece got the games because because of their history and the IOC and others wanted to see the games return there for the millenium.
Why would the IOC give the games to Moscow when very little has been done for the city so far. Not as if they don't have the money.
Sydney will need more hotels, stadiums and the transport system upgraded but that's work most winners have to undertake.

Personally I think it would be a good thing for London to get the games, it might spur them on to getting the transport sorted out! Also sport in the UK needs so much more publicity and funding, I can only assume that if we got the games they'd put for effort in!

I can only speak for the sports I'm involved in but there are already working world class venues that are in the bid and they do offer great facilities. Wembley is being built because a new one was needed, it's an added perk that it will be a great venue for the games.

trebor
12-06-2005, 20:22
....................But I reckon Moscow would have to have upside on the actual sporting facilities, transport system.

The metro in Moscow is creaking at the seems. I have read reports that claim 6 million people use it everyday. Without a serious alternative Moscovites will have to stay home for a month so the spectators can use it. :)

Ned Kelly
12-06-2005, 22:14

- greece did not get the games for the millennium or for 1996, which would have marked 100 years since the beginning of the modern olympics and have rounded things out nicely.

- sydney hosted the games in 2000 so there is no "will need" about it, it's
been and gone.

- the next ones are in beijing, whose political leadersip has a political outlook not that far from your own treb, so you should pop across there.

i also doubt moscow will win. after the outrage of atlanta getting it so soon after la, the next three seem to have pretty much gone as expected; also an outsider like moscow winning now would reopen the entire corruption debate.

but if moscow won it would it put on a great spectacle? absolutely, it would leave the french for dead.

i also agree that winning it is a great impetus for investing in sport, something the english could do with...there's only so long they can rely on trebor's darts skills.

BrianPBG
12-06-2005, 23:07
i hope the frenchies get it, their women are easier on the eye, and their food is ALOT easier to swallow

Plus if it was in London, you would have alot of Scots around, and no one can understand a Scot, cept maybe other Scots. =\

SpruceGoose
12-06-2005, 23:41
The metro in Moscow is creaking at the seems. I have read reports that claim 6 million people use it everyday. Without a serious alternative Moscovites will have to stay home for a month so the spectators can use it. :)

Well I was in Paris at Christmas and their metro wasnt doing anything better than the local one, and I hope you arent going to suggest the London is any better.

Although one thing I would love to see Moscow do is slap a road tax on people driving into the city each day. Now that would get some howls of protest happening, and would be a great way for the militsia to boost their incomes too!

trebor
13-06-2005, 03:27
..................and I hope you arent going to suggest the London is any better......................

The London Metro is far more modern than Moscow's. Its too expensive that's for sure and with waiting times of 10 minutes and more between trains there is plenty of room to increase capacity. Unlike Moscow.

trebor
13-06-2005, 03:31
- greece did not get the games for the millennium or for 1996, which would have marked 100 years since the beginning of the modern olympics and have rounded things out nicely.

- sydney hosted the games in 2000 so there is no "will need" about it, it's
been and gone.

Obviously i should have googled it too before answering :)

trebor
13-06-2005, 03:48
[QUOTE=Ned Kelly............the next ones are in beijing, whose political leadersip has a political outlook not that far from your own treb, so you should pop across there..............[/QUOTE]

Already been my son. I was there in '96.
And i must say i was impressed with some of the things i saw.
Politics aside, the Chinese were making an effort and gearing up for the 21st century. Same can't be said of Russia's leadership.

trebor
13-06-2005, 03:59
[QUOTE=Ned Kelly........but if moscow won it would it put on a great spectacle? absolutely, it would leave the french for dead.

i also agree that winning it is a great impetus for investing in sport, something the english could do with...there's only so long they can rely on trebor's darts skills.[/QUOTE]

In Soviet times i would agree with you. back then they could crank up the machinery, crack the whip and get the job done. The infrastructure was not as decayed then either.
Now, there's just too much to be done. Which is why i say they should start now.
Australians of course are smarting after we Brits. won the Rugby world cup from under your noses. Perhaps it's the Aussies who need to spend a little more on sport :)
Darts? Complete waste of valuable drinking time!

Ned Kelly
13-06-2005, 06:56
Australians of course are smarting after we Brits. won the Rugby world cup from under your noses.

the match that i saw involved an obviously better team, england, doing everything in their power to lose the game...and you nearly got there!

i think there's still enough soviet attitude to do the job in moscow.

SpruceGoose
13-06-2005, 11:32
Australians of course are smarting after we Brits. won the Rugby world cup from under your noses. Perhaps it's the Aussies who need to spend a little more on sport :)![/QUOTE]

Man wearing a safari suit, walking across a field talking to a camera - Camera follows before panning around to a cricket field in the middle of which is a small urn containing burnt ashes:

"Today on 'creatures of the world around us' we have a real treat for you! A creature that hasnt been seen for nearly twenty years"

He steps closer and begins to crouch, almost whispering as he approaches the boundary line with a solitary individual unwrapping some freshly washed sandwiches and taking some beer cans out of the pockets of his sports coat where they have been kept warm overnight

'You dont often see these, and in fact it was believed for some time that, in common with English sporting success of any kind, they may have become extinct, due largely to global warming and the fast bouncy pitches this tends to produce, coupled with the incapacity of english batsmen to play anything harder than a custard pie or anything faster than Derek Pringle.'

The camera switches back to the individual who is now fixing a handkerchief to his head.

'However in the aftermath of victories of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, its been discovered that they do still exist! But even then its extremely uncommon to sight one prior to an ashes series against Australia.'

The camera switches back again to the individual who is now rolling his trouser legs up to his knees, revealing legs of such alabaster whiteness they have an aura of almost blue, despite it being only 12 degrees and overcast.

'But today boys and girls we have found one! And its out in conditions which could see it with a few problems, we'll see how it handles them!'

Camera pans across the ground to see two men emanating from a pavillion on the far side wearing more protective gear than the michelin man, and who's faces betray the grey stoicism of those who are somehow doomed to play the occasional delivery with parts of their body, and who's speciality is the gentle half step forward to the sharply lifting delivery which hits them in the head.

'Yes its a real treat today, because we are going to see it right at its best before the series gets too far underway and they go back into hibernation again. Today on 'Creatures of the world around us' we have.....'

Camera cuts back to individual who is now standing up with freshly opened warm beer frothing everywhere out of the top, but who puts his other hand to his mouth and calls out loudly 'C'mon England!'

'.....the Cocky Pom!'