PDA

View Full Version : To Baikal

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 12:45
Hello everyone,

Tomorrow, Tue 17 Aug I'll start my vacation departing from Moscow to Irkutsk by air :plane:, landing at 18th morning, then to Listvyanka village at lake Baikal. I plan to spend there 9 days :floating: with my wife and daughter at private hotel, going around, eating nice fish, participating interesting excursions... and depart back to Moscow at 27th morning.

Any questions, suggestions, interest - ?

I'll be postng my impressions and comments here, maybe some photos etc.

Matt24
16-08-2010, 12:54
Hello everyone,

Tomorrow, Tue 17 Aug I'll start my vacation departing from Moscow to Irkutsk by air :plane:, landing at 18th morning, then to Listvyanka village at lake Baikal. I plan to spend there 9 days :floating: with my wife and daughter at private hotel, going around, eating nice fish, participating interesting excursions... and depart back to Moscow at 27th morning.

While you're gone, who's in charge? You know we're lost without you.

Matt

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 12:58
Everything will be OK, Matt. I'm sure whole community is mature and stable... ;)

TolkoRaz
16-08-2010, 13:05
I recommend that you visit the outdoor museum of Russian wooden buildings. Its similar to Peregovo near Kiev, but have forgotten its name - it must be old age! ;)

Have fun; I am sure it will be beautiful at this time of year; I visited during the depths of winter!

FlakeySnowballer
16-08-2010, 13:15
Hello everyone,

Are you going to visit Shaman's place. I have read a lot about. It must be interesting.

martpark
16-08-2010, 13:33
Good luck! Beware of the Baikal Monster.

TolkoRaz
16-08-2010, 15:03
FatAndy,

The museum consisting of traditional Siberian buildings which date from the 15th - 17th centuries is, of course, Taltsy! :)

ReallyGreatConcerts
16-08-2010, 15:25
Ooooh fabulous, I'm deeply envious! Bring us back some photographs!

I hope the weather improves there - it's been unseasonably cold at Baikal this year, my local friends tell me?

Zyablik
16-08-2010, 18:12
Hello everyone,

Have a nice time !:soccer:
Never been there ( That's why waiting a little or BIG:agree: report from you :)

Maybe you can try to explore the bottom of the Baikal Lake ?
http://english.ruvr.ru/2010/08/15/15788310.html
James Cameron to mark his birthday exploring Lake Baikal

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 20:36
Thank you!
Yes, of course. The name of the village is Taltsy (Тальцы in Russian). I've been there twice, Jul and Aug 2008, but family - not yet.
It will be my 5th visit to Baikal and 6th arr/dep at Irkutsk. And once it was 23th Feb (Red Army Day), at 2007. ;)

I recommend that you visit the outdoor museum of Russian wooden buildings. Its similar to Peregovo near Kiev, but have forgotten its name - it must be old age! ;)

Have fun; I am sure it will be beautiful at this time of year; I visited during the depths of winter!

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 20:42
If you mean Ol'khon island, then probably not. It is 15-17 hours by ship there and same time back, plus some time at the place... I can do it, but not sure about family. Alternate way is by car and ferry, but nearly the same time.

But if you mean Shaman-kamen', then of course yes, it is just opposite Listvyanka.

Are you going to visit Shaman's place. I have read a lot about. It must be interesting.

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 20:44
Thanks, surely! We'll see, who is more frightening... but I have far relatives between local shamans as ultima ratio ;)

Good luck! Beware of the Baikal Monster.

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 20:50
Thank you!
I hope everything will be OK, this week they should have + 14...17 but next one - around +22. Usually Aug is hottest there but probably we've got excessive portion to European territory of RF, having some deficiency there... no problems anyway, we're prepared. ;)
I'll try my best with photos but please keep in mind I'm just auto-mode clicking amateur...

Ooooh fabulous, I'm deeply envious! Bring us back some photographs!

I hope the weather improves there - it's been unseasonably cold at Baikal this year, my local friends tell me?

TolkoRaz
16-08-2010, 20:57
FatAndy,

Please say a 'HUGE Hello' to my favourite Nerpa! :)

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 20:57
Thank you! I'll try my best with report.

Regarding diving... yes, I have some diving background since Uni, but it was more than 20 years ago... need to refresh it in a bit warmer waters, then try there next time! ;)

Have a nice time !:soccer:
Never been there ( That's why waiting a little or BIG:agree: report from you :)

Maybe you can try to explore the bottom of the Baikal Lake ?
http://english.ruvr.ru/2010/08/15/15788310.html
James Cameron to mark his birthday exploring Lake Baikal

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 20:59
Obviously! Nerpinary is in the program, as same as lymnology museum, fish market and KBZD!

FatAndy,

Please say a 'HUGE Hello' to my favourite Nerpa! :)

TolkoRaz
16-08-2010, 21:05
Great choices; you make me very envious!

Safe travels! :plane:

FatAndy
16-08-2010, 21:13
Well, to be honest, I feel me envious to myself toooo... :D Thank you for wishes!

Great choices; you make me very envious!

Safe travels! :plane:

FatAndy
31-08-2010, 12:47
I'm back, sorting photos and getting to work... it's hard... 8(((

Gypsy
31-08-2010, 12:50
I'm back, sorting photos and getting to work... it's hard... 8(((

Look forward to it - I've been wanting to go for a while.

Phalanx1710
31-08-2010, 13:25
I remember getting into Moscow at 6:30am after a 4 day train journey from Irkutsk after coming back from Baikal. I didn't want to leave... it's so lovely there. My girlfriend and I are very annoyed that we're back in Russia and have no opportunity to go back there for a short time (I'm working and tied to Moscow at the moment) before I leave. Jealous!

Lady Lana
31-08-2010, 13:34
My favourite part of Baikal is omul and also the Ivolginskiy datsan (the center of Buddism in Russia) - on the Ulan-Ude side of the lake. And I agree that Baikal is one of the most beautiful places in the world at any time of the year.

Was it cold there?

FatAndy
31-08-2010, 13:52
Hmmmm...
If I remember correctly Irkutsk belongs to Russia since its foundation at 1661 (next year they'll celebrate 350 yrs) ;) Nevertheless I sincerely hope you'll visit this place again. ;)

from Irkutsk after coming back from Baikal. I didn't want to leave... it's so lovely there. My girlfriend and I are very annoyed that we're back in Russia

FatAndy
31-08-2010, 14:02
Well, when we've landed at Irkutsk airport 18th Aug 05:20 AM local time (SU749 flight started 18:45 17th Aug at SVO-D, Airbus 320-200, 5.5 hours of flight plus 5h timeshift to Moscow), there was rain, darkness and +7C :D

But during the day 18th Aug it has raised up to +23, and all next days it was +25...26, sunny, while nights were +13...16.

Water temp at Listvyanka coast was +10, so I only went in knee-deep into lake, not swimming ;)

One important thing to know for everyone who will be there or smwh at Baikal - take jackets with you always. There is wind there all the time, and it is chilling... no need to get cold and running nose...

Omul... yes. Also haruis and sig. ;) Hot smoked, cold smoked and dried.

My favourite part of Baikal is omul and also the Ivolginskiy datsan (the center of Buddism in Russia) - on the Ulan-Ude side of the lake. And I agree that Baikal is one of the most beautiful places in the world at any time of the year.

Was it cold there?

ReallyGreatConcerts
31-08-2010, 14:36
Water temp at Listvyanka coast was +10, so I only went in knee-deep into lake, not swimming ;)

Only five extra years of life for you! To get the full 10 you need to be fully submerged in the Baikal waters :)

FatAndy
31-08-2010, 14:51
I saw couple of guys getting those 10 years... and I hope 5 min sitting on Shaman-stone at the border of Baikal and Angara would add me 5 years ;)

Only five extra years of life for you! To get the full 10 you need to be fully submerged in the Baikal waters :)