PDA

View Full Version : American visa length of stay

kanu17
04-06-2005, 11:26
Would appreciate an answer to this one.

My girlfriend just received a visa from the consulate in St. Pete to come to America this year. There is no length of stay on the visa, but the visa is good from June to December of this year. However, on her visa application and in all the letters we collected for her we wrote that she would be coming for three weeks. Now it turns out it would be convenient for us to come for 25 or 26 days. The difference is minimal, I know, but can anyone confirm that this will not cause any problems, especially in her being issued American visas in the future.

Anyone have any experience with this?

C

Halyavshik
04-06-2005, 11:31
I'm not 100% legally sure, but I think you're fine. I think they issue all single entry tourist visas as valid for 6 months. She has one entry, valid for any period under 6 months and is in risk of overstaying only if she overstays that December deadline (in which case she really won't be able to get further visas).

I'm pretty sure you're fine.

veejay
04-06-2005, 11:34
It seems as though if her visa is valid from June to December, that she would be allowed to stay for however long...I think that the US consulaltes now give out 6 month tourist visas...although I am not entirely sure. Did you check out the state department's website to see if there is any information on the length of individual stays to the US?

Good luck, and congrats on your g-friend getting a visa!!!

straun
05-06-2005, 01:41
You can enter and exit as many times as you want within the window of validity. However you must not stay longer than 6 months at a time. Thus, she can come in June and as long as she is out of the US by the end of December she will be fine. If you overstay your visa or stay longer than six months it will be extremely difficult to get another visa.

Halyavshik
05-06-2005, 03:24
You can enter and exit as many times as you want within the window of validity. However you must not stay longer than 6 months at a time. Thus, she can come in June and as long as she is out of the US by the end of December she will be fine. If you overstay your visa or stay longer than six months it will be extremely difficult to get another visa.

Straun,

All due respect, but I think there are single and multiple entry visas for the US. About two years, ago (not sure if it's the same now or not) first time applicants received SINGLE entries, which did NOT allow you to come and go as many times as you wanted. AFTER your first visa, you could then apply for a multiple (or it was automatically granted).

Unless things have changed, I'd be VERY careful to check how many entries your visa gives you. It'd be a shame to buy tickets for a second trip if the visa is only for one entry.

Just a word of caution (which may not be necessarily correct--but, better safe than sorry in any case).

Regards,
Hal

straun
05-06-2005, 04:01
From what I understand, they are all multi-entry. I am not sure what was used two years ago. I will double check and get back to you. However it should say clearly on the visa, if it is multiple or single.

straun
05-06-2005, 05:45
Additional Information

Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if the traveler has a valid U.S. visitor visa in an expired passport, he or she may use it along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.

Entering the U.S. - Port of Entry

Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The visa allows a foreign citizen coming from abroad, to travel to the United States port-of entry and request permission to enter the U.S. The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States. Also, the period for which the bearer of a visitor visa is authorized to remain in the U.S. is determined by a CBP official when you arrive in the U.S., not the consular officer at the embassy or consulate. At the port of entry (an international airport, seaport or land border crossing), a CBP official must determine whether you can enter and how long you can stay here, on any particular visit. If you are allowed to enter, the CBP official authorizes the traveler's admission to the U.S. At that time, Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure, which notes the length of stay permitted, is validated by the CBP official. To find out more detailed information about admissions and entry in the U.S., select Admissions / Entry to visit the Department of Homeland Security’s, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services internet site.

This means that your visa will be good for an multiple entries until the visa expires, unless the Customs and Border Patrol cancels your visa. However, the typical situation is that you are admitted with a maximum of 6 months. My mother-in-law was issued a visitor visa last year which was valid for 1 year. She has been to the US 3 times on that visa.

straun
05-06-2005, 05:52
Q: How do I get a tourist visa valid for two years?

A: Russian citizens applying for tourist visas, in nearly all cases, receive visas valid for one year. However, they may ask for a visa valid for two years. If the visa is approved, the applicant must pay an additional $100 at that time in order to receive the visa valid for two years.

Q: How long can I remain in the United States?

A: Your length of stay will be determined by the immigration official at the port of entry upon arrival in the U.S. The validity of the visa has nothing to do with how long one can remain in the United States. Rather, it is the period of time in which one can travel to the United States. That is, a person with a multiple entry visa valid for one year can make several trips to the U.S. during that year. The length of each visit, however, will be determined at the port of entry.

Q: My valid visa expires two days after I need to travel to the United States. Can I travel with this visa?

A: Yes. You may travel to the United States at any time during the validity of the visa. Again, the duration of your visit in the U.S. is not determined by the length of visa validity, but by the immigration official at the port of entry when you arrive in the United States.