PDA

View Full Version : Help urgently needed from the US Embassy – Contact?

P.I.M.P.
03-06-2005, 14:15
A colleague of mine was notified several months ago that he won a green card slot from the US diversity visa lottery. He’s Ukrainian, living and working in Moscow.

He was then told to wait to receive an invitation by mail for his interview at the embassy in Warsaw.

Here’s the problem:

He received the interview letter by mail yesterday, June 2nd. The stamp on the letter says it was processed in Moscow on the 1st.

The Polish postmark (date it was sent out of Poland) is on the 17th of May.

The letter states he must appear at the embassy in Warsaw no later than the 30th of May.

We called the embassy first thing this morning explaining the situation and were told that his diversity visa case was now cancelled because he did not show up before the 30th and nothing could be done except apply for another diversity visa in the future.

Who can I contact in Moscow to see if anything can be done? This is basically a case of someone’s hopes being completely shattered because a) the Russian postal system is very slow, and b) the US embassy in Poland sent a letter too close to the interview date.

Is there any way I can salvage a chance for this guy?

Green Tea
03-06-2005, 14:43
Oh man..... I feel bad for him :(

I truly hope there are some embassy staffers on this forum who will show their decency and good nature and help this man.

If not, the USA will have one more angry person in the world to worry about...

straun
04-06-2005, 01:17
I feel for your friend, but unfortunately I think he is out of luck. They are very strict about the requirements of diversity visa's because there are only so many alloted at a time. If they aren't used in time they get recycled. Although I would strongly suggest you have your friend contact a US immigration attorney in Moscow, just to be sure you have exhausted all possibilities. I know of one, PM me if you need a suggestion.

P.I.M.P.
10-06-2005, 13:38
Well I gave it a try. We took off to Warsaw on Tuesday night with evidence in hand – see scans below.

Wednesday morning, after waiting in lines and speaking to a Consul, the repeated response was “It’s not in our hands” “Contact Washington” “Your time has passed, try applying again”

You gotta love the system.

P.I.M.P.
10-06-2005, 13:39
(Front)

P.I.M.P.
10-06-2005, 13:40
(Rear)

P.I.M.P.
10-06-2005, 13:42
Warsaw and Moscow

veejay
10-06-2005, 13:46
P.I.M.P -- you're from NYC, no? I would recommend that you contact one of your congressman and get them involved in this. It's outrageous, really... i feel for your friend...

I've friends who have had their congressmen put a bit of pressure on the state department for things like tourist visas / fiancee visas / green cards in the past and have by and large had successful outcomes.

good luck!!!

P.I.M.P.
10-06-2005, 14:08
Thanks Vee,

I know my congressman well (Charlie Rangel - even got a military academy nomination from him in ‘93.) The problem is the case doesn't involve one of his constituents and I doubt he’d care about somebody out of his district and even more so - a non-citizen.

10-06-2005, 22:13
But you are a constituent - and this is a US program...this is a system failure upon which your friend had NO control. Try contacting your congressman. I have done this in the past on some very complicated situation aand it worked very well (Hilary Clinton - very responsive to my problem).

veejay
11-06-2005, 10:50
Thanks Vee,

I know my congressman well (Charlie Rangel - even got a military academy nomination from him in ‘93.) The problem is the case doesn't involve one of his constituents and I doubt he’d care about somebody out of his district and even more so - a non-citizen.
Indeed, it is not a constituent that it happened to; but it is a constituent that writes to him. You'd be surprised...It can't hurt your friend's case, can it?

Seriously, write to him....write to as many as you can...I seriously doubt that anyone at the US embassy here would be more helpful than getting a politician back home involved...

If nothing happens, all you've really done is spent time writing to him...and that doesn't take any more time than posting here, does it?

P.I.M.P.
11-06-2005, 13:39
Thanks. Will give it a try.