PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for socialization?

YuliaVK
13-08-2010, 14:50
I have a short experience living in UK.
First of all I bought swimming-pool membership card.
Then I found a courses of dancing and involved in the process with great pleasure.
I used to play some kind of game, when you turn to the any side which far away from your routine itinerary.
With previous poin connected the aim to visit most significant places for that culture. I wanted to feel the places, find facts which considering as heroic for nation.
I was lucky to find the book about English sense of humour, some kind of researching, but my teacher in English took it and didnt return (my pain).
Lets change opinions and links?
englclub.ru[/url] - meetings, strange people as usual, but quite nice
onfoot.ru[/url] - sure its possible orginize the walking with translator
swingdance.ru[/url] - sorry, again only in Russian.. they orginize dancing party on the open air with everybody who are inetrested in
tangostreet.ru[/url] - Its only with me

Gypsy
13-08-2010, 18:36
If the english club is the one that meets or met at Buddies - I too found the people, the anglophones, very strange.

Judge
13-08-2010, 18:54
If the english club is the one that meets or met at Buddies - I too found the people, the anglophones, very strange.

On the site they do have meet ups at Buddies, pics are on the site.. Why do you think they are 'very strange'? They look like a good group of people out to have fun..

Judge
13-08-2010, 18:58
YuliaVK, we have a few events on this site.. check out the local events section..
http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=698330#post698330

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=223679&highlight=volleyball

Gypsy
13-08-2010, 21:20
On the site they do have meet ups at Buddies, pics are on the site.. Why do you think they are 'very strange'? They look like a good group of people out to have fun..

Have you met them there?

Judge
13-08-2010, 21:23
Have you met them there?

Nope.

alouette
13-08-2010, 22:10
Have you met them there?

What's wrong with them? Never been there, just curious.

Bourne End
13-08-2010, 23:53
So you expect to go to England and find a bunch of Russian speaking friends who will imediatey befriend you..... try the same in Moscow

alouette
14-08-2010, 00:06
So you expect to go to England and find a bunch of Russian speaking friends who will imediatey befriend you..... try the same in Moscow

LOL. One might find acquaintances who'd never become friends. But trying - that's the thing! You can't expect people coming to you just like that. But everybody should try.

Bourne End
14-08-2010, 01:16
Yes you are correct.

you have to try, but it not easy,people havethier own little cliques of friends and its hrd to brek in

Judge
14-08-2010, 01:34
Yes you are correct.

you have to try, but it not easy,people havethier own little cliques of friends and its hrd to brek in

You don't want to try too hard because some people can be put off.

Bourne End
14-08-2010, 02:01
I have been to many expat gatherings but unless you are a complete extrovert (which maybe you need to be to work here) you are generally disregarded and politely ignored.....The answer is wade in introduce yourself and see who stays around or who runs off and regroups in another corner

Judge
14-08-2010, 02:09
I have been to many expat gatherings but unless you are a complete extrovert (which maybe you need to be to work here) you are generally disregarded and politely ignored.....The answer is wade in introduce yourself and see who stays around or who runs off and regroups in another corner

That's true, it's not always easy,everyone at one stage was the 'newbie' who wanted to make new friends.When there are expat gatherings there are usually one or two who will help new people fit in..Like on this site,people meet up all the time, new and old members get on well in real life..

Bourne End
14-08-2010, 02:17
Thats very true, i have worked in sevealr other places across the world and it realy does depend on your own resolve to make friends, I suppose if your company has sent you hesr becuase you are someone who has performed elsewhere then maybe you will perform in Moscow, but its a maybe not, its just a lttle different.....its a lot harder.

sweetfart
14-08-2010, 20:24
Dance classes or clubs are generally one of the best ways to meet people in a new country. Problem for me is I don't like to dance.

In other outlets, you will probably have to work harder and be more aggressive with your social skills. Anything from political interest clubs to bird-watching societies. You have to speak up in those kinds of organizations and really be the initiator when it comes to inviting people out with you. Problem with that is you have to be careful not to come off as a creepy person, as well as being careful not to come across creepy people.

But the easiest methods to start with are always an club or event dealing with your home countries' ties to the new country (i.e. American-Russian cultural organization, etc.).

FlakeySnowballer
14-08-2010, 20:32
Snowboard's meetings are a good way too. You must not be a dancer

Don Jamalione
15-08-2010, 14:22
hello people, can u advice me on a spot or two i could come to and socialize with any kinda ex-pats. and is there any chance to find people from Scandinavia?

Carbo
16-08-2010, 15:21
Yeah, the English club at Buddies... mmmmm. I definitely concur with Gypsy.

Judge
17-08-2010, 02:33
Yeah, the English club at Buddies... mmmmm. I definitely concur with Gypsy.

Would you like to tell us all why a group of Russians who want to learn English are ''very strange''...Gypsy has been asked twice and he seems to have bottled it..

Gypsy
17-08-2010, 02:52
Would you like to tell us all why a group of Russians who want to learn English are ''very strange''...Gypsy has been asked twice and he seems to have bottled it..

I have not been asked that even once. And since I have never said anything about the Russians who meet there, I can think of no reason why I would be. But for the record I found them to be a normal nice enough bunch of people who seemed to enjoy themselves.

Judge
17-08-2010, 03:13
I have not been asked that even once. And since I have never said anything about the Russians who meet there, I can think of no reason why I would be. But for the record I found them to be a normal nice enough bunch of people who seemed to enjoy themselves.

I asked in post 3 and alouette in post 7..If you had run in with these guys then ok, no problems...Like alouetter said ''just curious''
I guess that most of the people that turn up are Russians with a few expats thrown in,they look like a god bunch of people having fun...I checked the photos from their site and they seem to be having grand time at Buddies..I'm going by the photos ,if you mingled with them then that's another thing, you know more than me..

Gypsy
17-08-2010, 04:04
I asked in post 3 and alouette in post 7..If you had run in with these guys then ok, no problems...Like alouetter said ''just curious''
I guess that most of the people that turn up are Russians with a few expats thrown in,they look like a god bunch of people having fun...I checked the photos from their site and they seem to be having grand time at Buddies..I'm going by the photos ,if you mingled with them then that's another thing, you know more than me..

And I was very specific in my post to exclude the Russians, and noted that it was the Brits/Americans etc who were strange. Your question above asked about Russians and yet I had excluded them specifically from my comment.

I have not had a run in with any of them - and as I said above I found the russians to be a nice, normal group out to have a good time.

Judge
17-08-2010, 04:17
And I was very specific in my post to exclude the Russians, and noted that it was the Brits/Americans etc who were strange. Your question above asked about Russians and yet I had excluded them specifically from my comment.

I have not had a run in with any of them - and as I said above I found the russians to be a nice, normal group out to have a good time.
My first question was why did you find them 'very strange'...It's good to see Brits/Americans helping out Russians..
I don't think they do it for much money....Very strange sounded a little bit harsh..

YuliaVK
17-08-2010, 13:55
Originally, it was my wrong post about "strange people'. I'm sorry.
I meant people in the situation than Its foolishly to keep silence when you have come. I dont know what is more difficult at the meeting - to have a talk in English or making socialization. Most of us don't feel comfort surrounded by mass of people whithout general theme of the meeting (and even glass of wine). So, you feel the strangeness the situation.
I was twice. Expats - 5%. Most of the people are with great intelligence. Last time was a lecture about Australia with slides. It was commented by Russian (who visited) and Australian (who added humour in the story). Very nice.
The pleasure of beeing there depends on the people gathered at that moment, as usual. So, it worth to visit from time to time