PDA

View Full Version : Foreign drive licenses in Russia

Ace0107
03-06-2005, 10:28
Does anybody knows about the validity of foreign driver's licenses (in my case: a german one in the nice European chipcard style) in Russia? Is there a need to make papers for Russia, maybe a driving test or is it necessary to make a complete new russian driver's license?

equalizer
03-06-2005, 10:34
Does anybody knows about the validity of foreign driver's licenses (in my case: a german one in the nice European chipcard style) in Russia? Is there a need to make papers for Russia, maybe a driving test or is it necessary to make a complete new russian driver's license?
is there a photo on the card

JeffK
03-06-2005, 11:02
I can not speak to what is actually the law today, but a couple of years ago, when I was actually still crazy (or naive) anough to drive here. I used my California DL and a certified translation. Still have it, but haven't used it in a while.

dagar
03-06-2005, 11:05
the date of validity of intl driving licence in Russia is as long as your visa expiry date. Also it should be translated into russian by Notary.

equalizer
03-06-2005, 11:25
the date of validity of intl driving licence in Russia is as long as your visa expiry date. Also it should be translated into russian by Notary.
or embassy will do

CRAYOLA
03-06-2005, 11:46
So how do you get your license certified or translated? And where?

equalizer
03-06-2005, 11:52
So how do you get your license certified or translated? And where?
the easiest way is to go to your consul dept and they can translate it for you,and it looks very offical for the gai, i have been driving since 98(wife's car)then 99 when i finally decided i could take the challenge myself.
plus most notorys are usually full and i find the consul at the uk emb to be quick and efficient

Cherokee
03-06-2005, 12:33

I have the same German drivers licence and in addition a International Drivers Licence and US-Drivers Licence. Non of the licences have been accepted by the Russian Police Department where you have to register your licence to be able to drive here. So the answe to this is, you must get a special Russian permid at the Police which will allow you to drive here as a foreigner (I guess thats just another way to earn some extra $$ because I never had a problem with my drivers linces anywhere else in the world.

Cherokee
03-06-2005, 12:35
I can not speak to what is actually the law today, but a couple of years ago, when I was actually still crazy (or naive) anough to drive here. I used my California DL and a certified translation. Still have it, but haven't used it in a while.

My California DL was not good enough when I tried this last week. Even my Int. Drivers licence (in Russian) was not excepted. See my other post.

moscowmail
03-06-2005, 12:38
I have the same German drivers licence and in addition a International Drivers Licence and US-Drivers Licence. Non of the licences have been accepted by the Russian Police Department where you have to register your licence to be able to drive here. So the answe to this is, you must get a special Russian permid at the Police which will allow you to drive here as a foreigner (I guess thats just another way to earn some extra $$ because I never had a problem with my drivers linces anywhere else in the world.

Sorry but this is not quite right.

There is a law that stipulates you can drive on an international driving license, you must have a notarized copy, but you can drive for as long as the license is valid, the milita/GAI will try and say you can't but I have a copy from the Milita hand book that says ya can, it was given to me recently when i tried to get a RUssian license, I can get a Rus license but it has to be re-registered every 6 months, wierd huh??!!!

equalizer
03-06-2005, 12:38
well i have been using my British driving licence for many years ,with a British embassy translation no problem and am stopped usually every 2 or 3 days and no one has a problem with my documents

dagar
03-06-2005, 13:06
You can apply for Russian DL and on the basis of your national/intl DL (attested copy) you need not to pass practial exam which is the most worse where Gai can decide as they wish, and to pass computer exam you can use an interpreter.
I got it for 10 years.

moscowmail
03-06-2005, 13:32
You can apply for Russian DL and on the basis of your national/intl DL (attested copy) you need not to pass practial exam which is the most worse where Gai can decide as they wish, and to pass computer exam you can use an interpreter.
I got it for 10 years.

But you need ot re-register it every 6 months, like the visa thing, not worth the hassle

L

Frank
03-06-2005, 15:55
I have been driving here for three years, stopped numerous times and all I have is the standard UK photo license and they have never queeried this once.
They are more interested to see the technical service, insurance, car passport and in my case as the car is not in my name but my wifes, the letter from her giving me permission to drive.

equalizer
03-06-2005, 16:28
I have been driving here for three years, stopped numerous times and all I have is the standard UK photo license and they have never queeried this once.
They are more interested to see the technical service, insurance, car passport and in my case as the car is not in my name but my wifes, the letter from her giving me permission to drive.
have got the rest but always found someone whowanted the translation,went through my mind to buy one of these spetz talons ,then apparently they cannot stop you.but its pricey

Ace0107
03-06-2005, 16:46
Thanks for the fast and various answers... So if I understood right, I have three possibilities:
- Ignore possible laws and drive with my german license (with translation and notarius maybe) and see what will happen
- Get a russian drive license with re-registering each 6 months
- Start an official way with registering my driver license (which seems to be difficult)

Very interesting points ;)

@Equalizer: Yes, it is with photo, but it may be difficult to translate because it is one of these nice European Union drive licenses which just own numbers and names, but no real words for translate

By the way... what kind of papers I need to carry with me in a car?

Ledka
03-06-2005, 16:53

you need the passport for the car (or + a power of attorney from the owner if the car doesn't belong to you),
tech osmotr
driving license

But they can also check not only docs, but emergency box, fire extinguisher and the emergency triangle signů but only in case they don't like you and are desperately in the need of money

equalizer
03-06-2005, 17:02
Thanks for the fast and various answers... So if I understood right, I have three possibilities:
- Ignore possible laws and drive with my German license (with translation and notarius maybe) and see what will happen
- Get a Russian drive license with re-registering each 6 months
- Start an official way with registering my driver license (which seems to be difficult)

@Equalizer: Yes, it is with photo, but it may be difficult to translate because it is one of these nice European Union drive licenses which just own numbers and names, but no real words for translate

this is not difficult at all,so dont worry
your German licence is fine ,go to the German consulate they will translate it for you .make sure its on letter headed embassy paper and stamped.
before i go into the rest are you driving a Russian plated car or a foreign plated car

equalizer
03-06-2005, 17:05
you need the passport for the car (or + a power of attorney from the owner if the car doesn't belong to you),
tech osmotr
driving license

But they can also check not only docs, but emergency box, fire extinguisher and the emergency triangle signů but only in case they don't like you and are desperately in the need of money
i was going to say ,you really need to be rude to get them to that,happened one time as my passenger was drunk and verbal so they took the car apart looking for drugs,under the seats under the carpet,pockets, shoes ,you name it they looked.
always be polite as they have to stand there all night

equalizer
03-06-2005, 17:17
- Ignore possible laws and drive with my german license (with translation and notarius maybe) and see what will happen
- Get a russian drive license with re-registering each 6 months

just checked your licence on the German site ,its the same as mine so no problems
as long as you have a photo its ok,and your not breaking any laws driving on it with a translation.
spot checks are usually for stolen cars,drunks etc
to put your mind at ease phone your German consul,and they can advice you
dont try to sit any test here as its a waste of time and unnecessary

RDV
03-06-2005, 18:21
I am Russian, and when I came back from the US, my California DL was the only one I had. I asked many of my friends: can I drive with it here? - nobody had a definitive answer. It all got resolved in an unpleasant situation when I thought the cop was trying to pull over the car behind me. I got stopped a few hundred meters down the road. When they saw a DL in English, one of the cops went: Hello :D

A couple of hours later, they finally showed me a book (something GIBDD internal) where it said: a driving permit of foreign origin must carry 'Permit de conduire' wording according to some convention on driving. There are countries who have signed this convention and those who haven't (the US haven't).

If you're have a US diriving license, you need to get an Int'l Drivign Permit which has the necessary wording. But you must be a non-Russian citizen to be able to use those driving documents. As I learned, being a Russian with a US DL means nothing. I need to get a Russian DL.

I don't know about EU DLs but I think most EU states have signed that convention (on Int'l Transportation or something like that).

My information is about one year old. I think translations and GIBDD registration is just a step to cover your a$$. But then again, if he is really short on money after a three day weekend, he will get it from you one way or another.

;)

Cheers,
rdv

Ace0107
03-06-2005, 19:54
this is not difficult at all,so dont worry
your German licence is fine ,go to the German consulate they will translate it for you .make sure its on letter headed embassy paper and stamped.
before i go into the rest are you driving a Russian plated car or a foreign plated car

I wanted to get a russian plated car and drive it. As I started to live in Moscow it could become difficult to get a german license plate ;) And I don't want to talk about german rules with cars (tax, assurances, ...) which are quite more expensive than here the russian equals. Even if I can't make it to my name, then I will register it to my wife's name who is native Russian.

equalizer
03-06-2005, 20:09
I wanted to get a Russian plated car and drive it. As I started to live in Moscow it could become difficult to get a German license plate ;) And I don't want to talk about German rules with cars (tax, assurances, ...) which are quite more expensive than here the Russian equals. Even if I can't make it to my name, then I will register it to my wife's name who is native Russian.
put it in your wife's name it will save a bit of paperwork,she then gives you a power of attorney to drive,insurance is a must now ,but still cheap,i use a company called reso or peco in Russian for my cars. As for the car plates a few expats drive their own foreign cars here but its a pain in the arse.dont buy anything here (expat site) as from what i have seen they are pricey compared to the equivalents in the Russian auto mags

cross
03-06-2005, 22:00
i am driving here with so called International driving license issued in my country, in several languages (including russian actually), also named in french as mentioned above "Permit de conduire". i had been stopped by GAI several times (both in Moscow and in the countryside) and nobody made ever any mentions about it. I had the impression some of the GAI guys have never seen such document before :-]

however, it is a paper, folding russian-style document, maybe that's why they like it ;-]

tgma
06-06-2005, 08:30
I got a Russian driving license about 5 years ago, during the short period when they refused to accept international licenses. It's valid for 10 years, and I am confident that it should be no problem to renew it in 2010 when it expires. I have never had to re-register it, and no one has ever questioned its registration. It's plastic coated, like all Russian driving licenses, so I don't even see how you could put a registration stamp on it.

There was only a short period when international driving licenses were not accepted, because it was pointed out to the Russians that if they refused to accept international driving licenses, other countries would refuse to accept Russian-issued international driving licenses, and so no Russian would be allowed to rent a car outside Russia. There is an international convention to which Russia is a signatory. However, the same convention says that if you are in a country for more than a certain period of time (I believe it's six months) you have to get a local license. Many countries do this just by swapping your license from your country of origin for one of theirs. This is what I did in the UK - just swapped it for my NZ license. This is a rule that many people don't bother observing, and no one gets too upset. This is generally true in Russia - I know many people who can get away with their home driving license, or an international one, which is really little more than an official-looking translation. But by convention, you should convert your home driving license. This is basically not difficult, but you have to pass a Russian theoretical test - it's do-able, but it takes a lot of work.

Now, of course all this will mean very little to the GAI on the street, depending on why he is stopping you. I'm happy having a Russian license, because it's one fewer thing for them to hassle you about, and I think they give you some brownie points for having bothered to get the thing. I would certainly recommend driving here - life is a lot better when you have a car!

resident
06-06-2005, 11:06
This is a really easy one - it costs around $10 for a certified translation - there are probably hundreds of agencies who can do the translation in a day or 2. I use one in Gostinitsa Zentralni (on Tverskaya near to Elisevsky, 2nd floor).

I've also been driving on my UK plastic license for years. I often tease the GAI and ask if they don't understand English if they need a translation...Don't go down the Russian DL route - you fall into the (slippery) hands of the GAI with their queues, ever-changing half-baked rules, bribes etc. If they really hasstle you and say you live here long term, as foreign licenses are only a temp thing, tell them you travel a lot and would have to give up your foreign license and no-one would understand what the Russian one is - that perplexes them (although in reality the Russian ones are ok, just cheaply made)

Josey Wales
07-06-2005, 10:50
ditto Frank...

I drive on my UK license, numerous stops, zero hassles - for now.

Even being stopped with a wooden rocking chair tied precariously to the roof of my car (don't ask) resulted only in a wry smile and an apology (!) for the inconcenience of a random document check....

persian
08-06-2005, 17:15
I drive here for more than two years and use my internatinal driving licence. Never faced any problem with my licence.

11-06-2005, 00:15

NO need for translation - it has a Russian language page in the license when you get it - along with Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Italian and several others.