PDA

View Full Version : The Official Shashlik Thread

DPG
02-06-2005, 13:49
Seeing that is that time of year, I decided that it would be helpful to all of us to collate all shashlik-related information into one useful reference thread.

Most of us cannot be bothered, after a day at work, to drive into the countryside, start a barbeque, thread meat onto skewers etc.

Most people find it easier to go to a restaurant where you can pay someone to do all that stuff for you, while you sit back and wait for a plate of chargrilled, meaty goodness to arrive in the hands of a waiter, who, handily, also has access to a beer tap and a wine cellar!

So, without further ado, please feel free to reccommend (or warn people against) restaurants, cafes, kiosks etc where they sell shashliks.

Try to include information regarding menu range, prices, quality, taste, service etc (don't forget name and location of establishment!).

Cheers

D.

PS. Just in case there are any newbies who aren't sure what shashlik is, I have included an educational, pictorial guide below!:

http://www.sheep101.info/Images/2babylambs.jpg

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0038-0408-1717-0406_SM.jpg

http://www.compiegne.com/site/grenierasel/images/int_abbatoir.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1305000/images/_1308425_lamb-chop150.jpg

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/images/refimages/grilling/charcoal/direct.jpg

http://probuem.ru/pictures/sea/050504/shashlik_1.jpg

http://www.waycoolinc.com/graphics/z3/02/100602/shishy.jpg

Ledka
02-06-2005, 13:52
When I read the name of the thread, I thought it would an official invitation for expat.ru shashlik...

peyote
02-06-2005, 13:55
When I read the name of the thread, I thought it would an official invitation for expat.ru shashlik...me too! ... what a cruel world! :rolleyes:

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 13:57
Eh! Quit yer commenting on what you thought it was about and start posting about where to go, I'm hungry over here and I wanna know where the best shashlik in town is. Is it going to be some fancy pantsy restaurant or a hole in the wall that's Moscow's best kept secret. Best shashlik ever eaten to this point was at the Paintball range about 20km ouside the MKAD to the Northeast, not particularly convenient. Great Thread! My stomach thanks you :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Ledka
02-06-2005, 14:06
The best shashlik is always self made! mmm... on sunny nature, in the open...

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 14:09
The best shashlik is always self made! mmm... on sunny nature, in the open...
You making it? :suspect: Gotta a dacha? Gonna host a hundred hungry expats who all want your shashlik? :suspect: If you are, you are truly brave :respect:

Ledka
02-06-2005, 14:22
You making it? :suspect: Gotta a dacha? Gonna host a hundred hungry expats who all want your shashlik? :suspect: If you are, you are truly brave :respect:
Did I say that? :rolleyes:

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 14:23
No, but I really, really, wish you would! :inlove:

DPG
02-06-2005, 14:23
Restaurants

Reccommendations

Menus

Prices

Comments!!!!!;)

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 14:28
Ah geez, you're such a party pooper! Fine I'll start.
Place, Cafe Tarantino
Kitchen described as Georgian, comes with live music by a Georgian whose rendition of Sting songs in broken English is engaging.
A street off of Ulitsa 1905 goda, down by the Indian Restaurant.
Recommended, the veal shashlik with the green sweet and sour sauce.
Price, cheap, under 200 by a long shot.
Negs, not a large beer selection.
Overall opinion, not the best, not the worst, however, it does happen to be the closest! [to me]

Billie Bob
04-06-2005, 16:26
First of all, shashlik doesn't have to me made out of lamb...

I actually prefer Pork Shashlik, it's alot tastier.

as far as my favorite place for shashlik. Thats a hard one. Can't seem to recall any good restaurants with great shashlik. Unless of course, they have the mangal-bbq inside, ie, cook the shashlik on open flames, using charcoal or birch wood.

A while back (about 6 yrs ago), I had dinner, in the sportivnaya metro area, the restaurant was called, Ne Gorui. I know the place still exists today, but when I was there back then, it was more like a "wanna be" club. (Actor) Kikabidze was some how involved with this place, and not anymore.

They really had fantastic Shashlik, which a large selection! Back then it was also pricey. They used the mangal-bbq cooking option inside the kitchen!

The meat was tender, juicy, and tasty, with large portions!

other than that, all the other restaurants I had shashlik, they all are wimpy and basic, nothing fascinating. Just about all the Georgian restaurants offer them, but all taste the same, nothing special. Im planning to try the small little georgian cafe on prospect vernadskogo, they just openned up a summer terrace behind their restaurant, and the mangals are staning outside a-smok'n!
(Cafe Belii, dom 24 I believe)

If Im in the mood for some shashlik in the city, and if its a nice day, snow or shine (not rainy), I end up going to the Izmailovski Souvenir Rynok, or VDNKh expo park, there are some great tasting shashlik stands at both locations, numerous shashlik vendors!!!

Ive even been there during the winter and the meat is soo damn good, the wiff of the smell in the air, drives you hungry... Nothing like having shashlik on a cold cold snowy day, outdoors. Funny thing is, I'm not the onluy one who drives out there, Ive met a few Canadian Embassy personnel doing the same thing, standing under the snow...

Benedikt
04-06-2005, 20:01
... inside the ismailovsky park fleamarket. they are all together in / on one place, some 50 m on the right hand side from the main entrance. prices are all the same, no haggling therefore. meat is GOOD from all of them. only thing: rather wait a few minutes and tell the guys you don't want your meat well done, that is, cooked to nearly charcoal as it is beloved to / by most locals.
they have pork, beef, chicken, lamb and if you come at the right time also sausages. AND ALL OF THEM SPEAK EVERY FOREIGN LANGUAGE ...(A FEW WORDS AT LEAST, TO MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IS ON SALE, IF SIGNLANGUAGE IS NOT ENOUGH..)
note: most of the local vendors are also eating there , and they know what they want and get it.
place is clean, no- one is smoking while working ( poklonnaya gora / park gorki take note...), you can sit opposite the grills or up on the second floor..
and right nearby, if you don't feel like having a shashlik, is a guy from usbekistan selling 'plov' ( rice with lamb).
only place in town where i eat shashlik...
how much? some 250 gr meat, bread, onions, pickles and sauce and a beer, 200-250 rubles ( DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF BEER...)

Kokomo
28-06-2007, 11:22
it is that time of the year again, so who can tell me where the good shashlik is?

Billie Bob
17-09-2007, 22:31
where is good shashlik available in Moscow????

Benedikt
18-09-2007, 12:48
just follow the smell and smoke...
i know ( at least one guy) them since 16 years, the meat is excellent, the guys and girls work clean, no smoking over the meat. the quality is excellent, quantity sufficent for the most hungry carnivore(sp?).prices are all the same, so is the assortment, there is no haggling and jealousy...
only advise:tell the guy on the fire how you want your meat done. since for local tastes shashliks are all WELL done and slightly dry....
order it medium and you will be not disspointed..

ezik
28-09-2007, 19:32
When I read the name of the thread, I thought it would an official invitation for expat.ru shashlik...

Erhm... with summer gone, we need to look at the next available opportunity. But it is a good idea. :)

ezik
28-09-2007, 19:40
just follow the smell and smoke...
i know ( at least one guy) them since 16 years, the meat is excellent, the guys and girls work clean, no smoking over the meat. the quality is excellent, quantity sufficent for the most hungry carnivore(sp?).prices are all the same, so is the assortment, there is no haggling and jealousy...
only advise:tell the guy on the fire how you want your meat done. since for local tastes shashliks are all WELL done and slightly dry....
order it medium and you will be not disspointed..

Geezzz... I never talk to the guy on the fire. Because i AM the guy on the fire!!! Birch wood start for lighting things up, then some dry blocks to get the heat going, then some charcoal.

Nothing about well-done or raw: it's done good and certainly not too dry.

I get my shaslik in the Bykovo village, where my dacha is. They do the not-famous-but-very=tasty apple/onion marinade on pork. For village prices.

And even in autumn, when it gets a bit colder, it is SO nice: smell of the forest and a birch fire, meat, along with the taste of a nice Argentinian red wine. Or a wodka.

I imagine it must be even nice in winter, so I plan to celebrate my birthday in February for the first time on the dacha in the snow. With shaslik: the best of Bykovo!!!

Happy to find out whether we can make this an Expat.ru shaslik event and get different kinds from different markets to compare!

In this case, Benedikt, I will definitely need you.