PDA

View Full Version : Taking Photos on Rublovka-Uspenskoe

JeffK
01-06-2005, 14:24
Don't know if this is for real or not, but a word to the wise.
Yesterday I was at the new retail project that Mercury is building on Rublovka across from the Dream House project. After touring the Mercury project and taking photos of the site and buildings, I took a shot across the street to show the location of the Dream House project in relation to Mercury's. After I took the photo, a muzhik from the DPS came up and asked if I had permission from the road "police" to take photos on that street. Of course I did not. For those of you who are somehow unaware, VVP lives out there and uses that road to get to work each day. The muzhik was tense and told my that I shouldn't have taken the photo and read me the riot act. After convincing him that my photo was in fact for business purposes and that I liked the current administration, he relented and allowed me to be on my way.

SO I would exercise some caution when photographing on that street and especially at intersections in front of the DPS.

legspreader
01-06-2005, 14:57
dont you believe it. jeff's the point man for a terrist sleeper cell....

Green Tea
01-06-2005, 15:42
Something similar happened to a bunch of Latvian journalists on the May 9th weekend. There was a story on it in the Moscow Times. They were filming some small town close to the Latvian border that used to be part of Latvia. Russian law says you need "permission" to film within 5km from the border... The Latvians got deported and had their tapes erased.

I've been yelled at a few times by police as well. But the innocent tourist routine got me out of it each time. Most notably when I tried to take some photos inside a metro station. Three young militsia guys (not real police yet) surrounded me and kept asking what I was doing, what was I thinking... Fast English and NO Russian and an appoloagetic smile got me out of it without any problem.

matlockk
01-06-2005, 15:47
Perhaps he was just looking to supplement his meagre salary? Mind you they are the richest police in Moscow in that area. I know from personal experience!

Billie Bob
01-06-2005, 21:22
actually such laws are still in effect, but who really pays attention to them, is another subject.

my french friend wanted to take a picture of the train he was traveling on. A cop approache dhim and started to bla bla bla this and that. I basically started to answer back. My question to him, was show me the rules and regulations, the laws, where I cannot take a picture of the train, and he kindly started to invite me to the police station... so.... I shy'ed back...

I spoke to another cop who works my area, and he stated that yes the "soviet" law is still in effect.

equalizer
01-06-2005, 21:48
Don't know if this is for real or not, but a word to the wise.
Yesterday I was at the new retail project that Mercury is building on Rublev across from the Dream House project. After touring the Mercury project and taking photos of the site and buildings, I took a shot across the street to show the location of the Dream House project in relation to Mercury's. After I took the photo, a muzhik from the DPS came up and asked if I had permission from the road "police" to take photos on that street. Of course I did not. For those of you who are somehow unaware, VVP lives out there and uses that road to get to work each day. The muzhik was tense and told my that I shouldn't have taken the photo and read me the riot act. After convincing him that my photo was in fact for business purposes and that I liked the current administration, he relented and allowed me to be on my way.

SO I would exercise some caution when photographing on that street and especially at intersections in front of the DPS.
i can give you amore upsetting variant ,last week while celebrating my daughter's birthday in champion bowling club our group decided to take some photos ,suddenly the security came over and told us that we could not take photos as it was bad for the sensors on the bowling equipment,needless to say after couple of rude words were exchanged he left ,suddenly the exclusive picture taker from champion came by and said their camera was designed not to affect the equipment and for an extortionate fee she would take all the photos ..................you can imagine what i said

kazachka
01-06-2005, 22:11
actually such laws are still in effect, but who really pays attention to them, is another subject.

my french friend wanted to take a picture of the train he was traveling on. A cop approache dhim and started to bla bla bla this and that. I basically started to answer back. My question to him, was show me the rules and regulations, the laws, where I cannot take a picture of the train, and he kindly started to invite me to the police station... so.... I shy'ed back...

I spoke to another cop who works my area, and he stated that yes the "soviet" law is still in effect.
That's exactly what this reminded me of- the old Soviet laws. Are such laws really still in effect or are they just another means for cops to extract a bribe?! I see tourists taking metro pictures all the time. Basically, before the fall of the S.U., I was told no pictures of, airports, train stations, the metro, of police/military, ship ports, pretty much anything govt. related. In 1990, my high school counselor had to give up his film in Novorossiysk for taking pictures near the naval port.