PDA

View Full Version : international driving permit and license translation

syedanial
09-08-2010, 06:03
If I have an IDP, do I need my license to be translated and notarized to drive in Russia? Thanks!

Baron
10-08-2010, 20:12
If I have an IDP, do I need my license to be translated and notarized to drive in Russia? Thanks!

That depends what you want to do. I think if the internatinonal driving license has a Russian translation in there then its probably ok.

Mine doesn't and today when I tried to get my car inspected (final stage of registration process) they told me I needed translated notarised version of not just the International drivers licence, but also the original national licence, AND a special health test certificat to be able to legally drive.

(Last bit sounds like rubbish from policeman just wanting to be an ar5e ho1e).

I have a strong suspicion that the answer is a yes though.

Monti
12-08-2010, 09:41
Some Traffic cops can be real jerks and dumb enough to ask u for a translation...happened with me a couple of times although my IDL has Russian and other languages in it.They want your name, category of the vehicle you can drive,validity etc clearly spelt out in Russian and notarized....Saves you the hassle of trying to explain out things to them.I'd advise you to get one in case you are planning to be here for a long period.

Monti
12-08-2010, 09:50
a special health test certificat to be able to legally drive

I had to get all this done i.e translation and Health Certificate etc when I went to get the "Texocmotr" done for my car....Other than that I doubt think a cop will ever ask you for a F***** health ceritificate.

Aussie1973
17-08-2010, 23:29
There is a big long thread on this topic further down in the posts I think?

krolik49
28-09-2010, 16:54
I have the international drivers license (AAA). It's good for one year. When that expires a notarized (certified) translation from a "recognized" translation service will suffice. That's what I did here in kazan and it works for me. Good luck!
aDAn
Kazan