PDA

View Full Version : What type of book is your favourite?

CatGirl
31-05-2005, 12:46
What type of books d'you prefer to read?
Me -Fantazy, adventures.. Kinda childish but I like it. And I am writing the Adventure book of my own. :)

veejay
31-05-2005, 12:49
where's the option for literature...? that is, something that is well-written or classic literature...? :-)

fav magazine: The New Yorker
fav newspaper: The Guardian

nice poll, cosmo!

CatGirl
31-05-2005, 13:01
Thank you, Veejay, and sorry for not inserting the "classical literature" option.. :shame:

Surok
31-05-2005, 13:39
and the 'non-fiction' option? and the 'other' option?

great poll idea. but not everyone reads fantasy and adventure... :verycool:

veejay
31-05-2005, 13:52
Thank you, Veejay, and sorry for not inserting the "classical literature" option.. :shame:

Da ladno! no worries for not having all the options...jeez...they're endless...non-fiction / academic, historical / biographical / autobiographical, DIY / gardening, on and on and on...

:bookworm:

CatGirl
31-05-2005, 13:52
Should try again..? Should't I? This one has failed..

veejay
31-05-2005, 14:47
perhaps see if the poll could be modified for an 'other' category and then ask posters to comment with their specific types of reading materials...???

it hasn't failed, darlin...perhaps people simply don't read much anymore...???

CatGirl
31-05-2005, 15:15
perhaps see if the poll could be modified for an 'other' category and then ask posters to comment with their specific types of reading materials...???

it hasn't failed, darlin...perhaps people simply don't read much anymore...???

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_128.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_139.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_142.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_143.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) Think so. Hope, People, You read a lot and, please, comment your answers!

Thanks in advance!

Random
31-05-2005, 15:41
No W.E. Johns box either or A.A. Milne ....

Lled
31-05-2005, 15:43
Then there's anyhting by Dave Barry and what does Stephen Fry come under?

Random, I know you can tell me what he comes under...I set it up beautifully for you...

CatGirl
31-05-2005, 17:02
Veejay! You were right! The pole hasn't been failed!!!

veejay
31-05-2005, 17:12
Veejay! You were right! The pole hasn't been failed!!!

indeed...has not failed...how could it?!

:-) well done, CosmoCatGirl!!!

CatGirl
31-05-2005, 17:15
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

Random
31-05-2005, 17:19
Then there's anyhting by Dave Barry and what does Stephen Fry come under?

Random, I know you can tell me what he comes under...I set it up beautifully for you...

Stephen Fry comes under "F" matey

or maybe that should be "I" for Iron !!!

Benedikt
31-05-2005, 21:38
wilbur smith ( south africa) any book, without question
geoffrey jenkins
johannes mario simmel ( austrian author)
heinz konsalik (german, 'russian' fan)

Shatneresque
31-05-2005, 21:46
History, biography, popular science (i.e., anything that doesn't involve mathematics, like the books by Arthur C. Clarke, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, etc.).

True crime, historical novels, and technothrillers (e.g., Truman Capote, Robert Graves, Winston Graham, Robert Harris, Ken Follett, Tom Clancy).

Science fiction, when I'm in the right mood (I prefer filmed SF to written, no matter who the author).

Classical literature (e.g., Steinbeck, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Maugham, Orwell, Golding, Conrad).

The short stories of Roald Dahl---absolutely amazing!

equalizer
31-05-2005, 22:05
i suppose a lot of you out there are not going to be surprised but i have never read a book in my free life,except hob-sons choice but that was under duress at school.
i prefer the the short movie version of the books but who knows things may change

siberiansamurai
01-06-2005, 08:58
-Gene Wolfe (sci/fi)
-Haruki Murakami (Lit)
-Gogol, Hemmingway, Anderson (Classic Lit)
-Zelazyny (Fant)

That's my two cents

CatGirl
01-06-2005, 09:15
The short stories of Roald Dahl---absolutely amazing!

Shatnerisque, Have you got this book/s? May I ask you for borrowing one/some?

CatGirl
01-06-2005, 09:18
1)-Haruki Murakami (Lit)
2)-Gogol, Hemmingway, Anderson (Classic Lit)

Haruki? Is he interesting? I've never read him..
Hemmingway?? I have a big book... Try to make myself read it so much but can't by some reason.. Read mostly Around the World 's literature instead!

veejay
01-06-2005, 10:55
Haruki? Is he interesting? I've never read him..
Hemmingway?? I have a big book... Try to make myself read it so much but can't by some reason.. Read mostly Around the World 's literature instead!

i'm actually reading a haruki murakami book at the moment -- dance, dance, dance. i've read all but two of his books, and all are quite good, especially norwegian wood and the wind-up bird chronicles. he's widely available here in russian, but i don't know how good the translations are. i've heard fairly decent.

CatGirl
01-06-2005, 11:10
i'm actually reading a haruki murakami book at the moment -- dance, dance, dance. i've read all but two of his books, and all are quite good, especially norwegian wood and the wind-up bird chronicles. he's widely available here in russian, but i don't know how good the translations are. i've heard fairly decent.

Yep, I suppose that reading in original - more exciting and useful. Poor me-know Japanese a little bit...

veejay
01-06-2005, 11:16
Yep, I suppose that reading in original - more exciting and useful. Poor me-know Japanese a little bit...

well...i haven't read them in the original. i know one word of japanese...and that does me absolutely no good!!! i've read the english translations by two blokes -- one american and one british. both are pretty good as far as i know.

a few years ago, a friend of mine's wife was organising a visit by murakami to moscow. the russian translator who's worked on the translations of his books into russian was scheduled to appear with murakami at a japanese embassy cultural 'function' of sorts. didn't get to go, b/c i was out of town. but, it seems as tho the translations in russian would be fairly solid, no?

CatGirl
01-06-2005, 11:30
... it seems as tho the translations in russian would be fairly solid, no?

Think so. I also haven't read. But as for me, and as I'm not English-speaking person originally, I made an effort to read the Lord Of the Ring.. Very brave of me!

Shatneresque
01-06-2005, 16:35
Shatnerisque, Have you got this book/s? May I ask you for borrowing one/some?Cosmo, I have a complete collection of his short stories. PM me about borrowing it, please....

(PS: Forgot to mention Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut, Anthony Burgess.)

CatGirl
01-06-2005, 17:48
Cosmo, I have a complete collection of his short stories. PM me about borrowing it, please....

Check your PMbox ;)

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 14:17
My man loves Haruki Murakami, we've got most of his stuff here in Russian. As the man speaks both moderate Japanese and Russian, his opinion on the translations were that they were very good. Myself, I've only read "The Elephant Vanishes" and then "The Electic Sheep Chase" was the second or something that sounded like that, anyway, I liked the short stories, I don't think he's awesome, but he's unique and that's always refreshing.

veejay
02-06-2005, 14:48
My man loves Haruki Murakami, we've got most of his stuff here in Russian. As the man speaks both moderate Japanese and Russian, his opinion on the translations were that they were very good. Myself, I've only read "The Elephant Vanishes" and then "The Electic Sheep Chase" was the second or something that sounded like that, anyway, I liked the short stories, I don't think he's awesome, but he's unique and that's always refreshing.

The Wild Sheep Chase...that's next on my list...:-)

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 15:06
The Wild Sheep Chase...that's next on my list...:-)
Yeah, that's the one I meant. It was pretty decent and I'm pretty harsh when judging books.

veejay
02-06-2005, 15:09
Yeah, that's the one I meant. It was pretty decent and I'm pretty harsh when judging books.
once i get thru dance, dance, dance and the wild sheep chase, i will have read everything he's published so far...i think...:-) i really like his stuff. his books tend to have similar themes running thru them, but there is always some sort of bizarre element as well that completely catches me by surprise. i wish i read / knew japanese so that i could read him in the original...alas...

Surok
02-06-2005, 15:13
time to learn Japanese, girlie!

veejay
02-06-2005, 15:15
my english is atrocious now, my russian is well...er...uh...all sorts of confused, i've forgotten all but a smidgeon of german, spanish and french, and have learned a few new phrases in dutch...

can i just work on one language, plez?!

:verycool:

Lady Marmalade
02-06-2005, 15:15
once i get thru dance, dance, dance and the wild sheep chase, i will have read everything he's published so far...i think...:-) i really like his stuff. his books tend to have similar themes running thru them, but there is always some sort of bizarre element as well that completely catches me by surprise. i wish i read / knew japanese so that i could read him in the original...alas...
Yeah, I agree, that's what I meant about unique and refreshing when reading Murakami. How do you find he compares to Kazuo Ishuguro, also of Japanese origins and yet so totally not at all. I also find his writing contains that neat compactness that I find and admire in Murakami and yet the stories are worlds apart, the styles for the most part are world's apart as well. It's this efficient style that doesn't waste or meander in its points while being poignant at the same time. They've got such an elegant economy of words I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Shatneresque
02-06-2005, 16:06
H*ll, how could I forget Frederick Forsythe?

His early stuff (Day of the Jackal, Odessa File, Dogs of War) was outstanding, but my favorite book of his is The Deceiver.

His latest novel, Archangel, scared the H out of me! :yikes:

Shatneresque
09-06-2005, 15:00
H*ll, how could I forget Frederick Forsythe?

His latest novel, Archangel, scared the H out of me! :yikes:
Goofed on this one. Archangel is another Robert Harris novel. :shame:

I think Forsythe's last book was Icon (also about Russian politics), which came out about six years ago....

Rusty
10-06-2005, 02:24
I love Sci-Fi, with emphisis on science.

Or erotic Sci-Fi/fanticy

CatGirl
23-06-2005, 11:20

My dream!
:verycool:

Shatneresque
24-06-2005, 14:43
I love Sci-Fi, with emphisis on science.
Then, m'boy, you should know that the genre is properly referred to as "SF." :thumbsup:

blonde
24-06-2005, 16:03
I voted for adventures, besides I like thrillers, detectives, historical novels...
Last book I've red - "The DaVinci code" by Den Brown. I don't know exactly what type it of, but cannot put it off for hours...
Going now to read some more of Den Brown.

Surok
24-06-2005, 16:22
Yeah, I agree, that's what I meant about unique and refreshing when reading Murakami. How do you find he compares to Kazuo Ishuguro, also of Japanese origins and yet so totally not at all. I also find his writing contains that neat compactness that I find and admire in Murakami and yet the stories are worlds apart, the styles for the most part are world's apart as well. It's this efficient style that doesn't waste or meander in its points while being poignant at the same time. They've got such an elegant economy of words I guess is what I'm trying to say.

there's quite a nice critical study of Murakami called something like 'Murakami and the Music of Words' by Jay Rayner. Recently translated into Russian. Focuses, IIRC, more on music and Murakami's musical background than on the Japanese language, but still a good read.