PDA

View Full Version : Dead birds in Moscow

xSnoofovich
06-08-2010, 15:53
I have been seeing a lot of dead pigeons lately. Has anyone else seen this? What about the little brown birds? (sparrows). I haven't seen any of them laying around dead. Which makes me think someone is poisoning the pigeons.

Any help?

waxyweller
06-08-2010, 16:15
I have been seeing a lot of dead pigeons lately. Has anyone else seen this? What about the little brown birds? (sparrows). I haven't seen any of them laying around dead. Which makes me think someone is poisoning the pigeons.

Any help?

Oh my God ..Oh my God !!! is this true ?? has anyone else seen it ?? God i pray its not true ((( poor helpless birds ((( i guess the smog is chocking them ,right ? ((( ohh nooo ...oooh noo :545: very sad now

sweetfart
06-08-2010, 16:16
Many times, the pollution will be too much for birds. Did it rain there recently (sorry I'm not following Moscow weather)? Could have made some pretty bad combination for the birds.

Or it could have even been that the heat was too much for them. I don't know if there is a Russian environmental agency of some kind, but I would report this to them if they exist.

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 16:26
No I have never seen lots of dead pigeons. Very rarely, you can see one lying somewhere. Never seen even TWO dead pigeons.

Ian G
06-08-2010, 16:31
I don't know if there is a Russian environmental agency of some kind, but I would report this to them if they exist.

Russia doesn't have a State Environmental protection body- all it has is the Ministry of Natural Resources. They might be interested. :-)

Personally I haven't noticed any dead pigeons. Pigeons are very resilient-they have to be to live in modern cities. I am rather more concerned about Russia's forest-living wildlife at the moment.

xSnoofovich
06-08-2010, 16:33
No I have never seen lots of dead pigeons. Very rarely, you can see one lying somewhere. Never seen even TWO dead pigeons.

Well that is just it. I walk around a lot in my district, and have seen lots dead birds. Not dead en masse, but one bird here, another 10 meters away, etc. I see the street cleaners have cleaned some of them up, and see a lot of them in the trash as well as on the street, but I don't ever remember seeing so many dead.

Like I said, I thought someone was poisoning them.

But, I just heard from someone in another building, and they remembered I had mentioned this to them the other day, and they had overheard some people talking about it as well.

So, I thought I would just throw it out there and see what Expat users thought.

Periwinkle
06-08-2010, 16:40
I thought the ones outside Ploshad Revolutsi looked a bit lethargic today - thought because of the air... - have not seen any dead ones.

martpark
06-08-2010, 16:44
I saw a poisoning in Barcelona in a very public square. In the morning I saw an old man feeding breadcrumbs to the pigeons and thought it was strange as they eat anything and there was a lot around.

In the afternoon there were dead birds all over, fallen straight from the tree. I imagine you would see a lot of dead ones at once if they were poisoned. Most likely it's the smog that would kill a few.

waxyweller
06-08-2010, 16:50
Well that is just it. I walk around a lot in my district, and have seen lots dead birds. Not dead en masse, but one bird here, another 10 meters away, etc. I see the street cleaners have cleaned some of them up, and see a lot of them in the trash as well as on the street, but I don't ever remember seeing so many dead.

Like I said, I thought someone was poisoning them.

But, I just heard from someone in another building, and they remembered I had mentioned this to them the other day, and they had overheard some people talking about it as well.

So, I thought I would just throw it out there and see what Expat users thought.

Wow !
now its getting creepy ! Even in the bin ? thats sad .. i have never seen any animal control services in Moscow anyway,there are alot of stray Dogs on the street too who needs urgent attentions but no one to care for them ((((
I hope it rains so this smog can stop,i pity the poor birds :9437::groan: