PDA

View Full Version : Poll: British and French People Have Low Opinions of Each Other

xSnoofovich
05-08-2010, 19:02
http://gawker.com/5605178/poll-british-and-french-people-have-low-opinions-of-each-other

How do people in France and Britain see each other? According to a new poll, the French think Brits are "not good at" cooking, love, and dressing. Brits polled said the French are only good at "going on strike."

The poll, conducted by YouGov, asked over 4,000 French and British citizens about the most common traits each other has. The only major failing that that some Brits who were polled said the French have is "getting anything done in August." The French weren't so kind. Many said a typical British man is an old pensioner who rides around on a scooter and eats processed cheese. Ouch!

ReallyGreatConcerts
05-08-2010, 19:25
Many said a typical British man is an old pensioner who rides around on a scooter and eats processed cheese. Ouch!

What a disgraceful stereotype, eh?

http://www.stockcartoons.co.uk/Images/Thumbs%5CFrench-Onion-Seller-.jpg

Gypsy
05-08-2010, 20:00
http://gawker.com/5605178/poll-british-and-french-people-have-low-opinions-of-each-other

How do people in France and Britain see each other? According to a new poll, the French think Brits are "not good at" cooking, love, and dressing. Brits polled said the French are only good at "going on strike."

The poll, conducted by YouGov, asked over 4,000 French and British citizens about the most common traits each other has. The only major failing that that some Brits who were polled said the French have is "getting anything done in August." The French weren't so kind. Many said a typical British man is an old pensioner who rides around on a scooter and eats processed cheese. Ouch!
Well th last comment shows how seriously we should take this survey.

There was a Cosmo (I think, may have been Marie-Claire) poll about 6 or 7 years ago of French women asking them what they thought, among other things, of French men's performance in bed. The answer was, Terrible. They rated the English the best lovers and the Italians the most attractive.

You pays yer money and you takes yer pick.

Willy
05-08-2010, 22:00
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/3364116/The-trouble-with-British-men.html

Kraven Morehead
05-08-2010, 22:31

There was a Cosmo (I think, may have been Marie-Claire) poll about 6 or 7 years ago of French women asking them what they thought, among other things, of French men's performance in bed. The answer was, Terrible. They rated the English the best lovers and the Italians the most attractive.

You pays yer money and you takes yer pick.

Probably the Spanish now, they do not have to go to job in next morning.LOL

TolkoRaz
05-08-2010, 22:40
You pays yer money and you takes yer prick.

:eek:

TolkoRaz
05-08-2010, 22:42
If I had a long enough stick, I would lean across the English Channel and push La Smell France even further away! ;)

AndreyS
05-08-2010, 22:53
If I had a long enough stick, I would lean across the English Channel and push La Smell France even further away! ;)

Like this, you mean? ;-)

AndreyS
05-08-2010, 23:00
What a disgraceful stereotype, eh?

http://www.stockcartoons.co.uk/Images/Thumbs%5CFrench-Onion-Seller-.jpg

The loaf is disgracefully long. ;-)

waxyweller
05-08-2010, 23:14
Hehehe funny thread...I am not british nor french..
but brits are cool.. but kinda stingy ..
Then french are sexy ,but very betraying.. i had 2 french friends before..and they act very immature when they are angry... leaking my cheating secrets to my girlfriend :ninja:

TolkoRaz
05-08-2010, 23:16
The loaf is disgracefully long. ;-)

The Frenchman is an oaf!

TolkoRaz
05-08-2010, 23:18
Hehehe funny thread...I am not british nor french..
but brits are cool.. but kinda stingy ..

Englishmen are very generous, it is the Scots who are stingy! :book:

AndreyS
05-08-2010, 23:20
The Frenchman is an oaf!
I wouldn't like to insult anybody, better just discuss them.

Gypsy
05-08-2010, 23:23

Please use the correct word. They are Scotch, not Scots - assuming you are english of course. If you are Scotch then carry on.

All these so called surveys are complete rubbish. I suspect the magazines make them up.

No nationality can be "better" or "worse" etc when describing individuals and our behaviour.

Except the Welsh obviously.

TolkoRaz
05-08-2010, 23:27
Please use the correct word. They are Scotch, not Scots - assuming you are english of course. If you are Scotch then carry on.

Pardon? :confused:

Gypsy
05-08-2010, 23:30
Pardon? :confused:

The correct word in English for all things Scottish - including the people - is Scotch. they like to say Scots and that is fine. But in English it is Scotch.

waxyweller
05-08-2010, 23:31

My friend said when he went to London he saw one man smoking and he asked him for a cigarette and the man said,this is the last one i have.. and he said he saw him when he was taking the cigarette out of the pack ,that there were more cigarettes there ,maybe that man is Scottish ? lol

French men are off point !!! i don't even want to talk about them..:boxing:

Gypsy
05-08-2010, 23:36
As an englishman who lives in France I would say that I found the French to be charming, friendly, incredibly helpful - much more so than they needed to be in most cases - generous and an absolute delight.

Added to which, the women are beautiful and stylish with a strong independent streak which is very attractive.

tvadim133
05-08-2010, 23:41
My friend said when he went to London he saw one man smoking and he asked him for a cigarette and the man said,this is the last one i have.. and he said he saw him when he was taking the cigarette out of the pack ,that there were more cigarettes there ,maybe that man is Scottish ? lol

French men are off point !!! i don't even want to talk about them..:boxing:

I am not "Scotch", but I do it in the same way!

I hate when people ask for a cigarette (if it is not in a restaurant) in passing by....

tvadim133
05-08-2010, 23:42
As an englishman who lives in France I would say that I found the French to be charming, friendly, incredibly helpful - much more so than they needed to be in most cases - generous and an absolute delight.

Added to which, the women are beautiful and stylish with a strong independent streak which is very attractive.

Absolutely agree, especially if you speak French with them! :)

TolkoRaz
05-08-2010, 23:59
The correct word in English for all things Scottish - including the people - is Scotch. they like to say Scots and that is fine. But in English it is Scotch.

And if you call them as people, Scotch, you will very quickly realise that you have made a grave error! :fireworks:

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 00:02

So why were you dating an English woman? :confused:

Parisienne ladies are stylish, country girls have cross eyes and don't shower as much as the men!

Jack17
06-08-2010, 00:35

All these so called surveys are complete rubbish. I suspect the magazines make them up.

No nationality can be "better" or "worse" etc when describing individuals and our behaviour.

Except the Welsh obviously.
Scotch? Make mine LAPHROAIG 30.

Jack17
06-08-2010, 00:50
I am not "Scotch", but I do it in the same way!

I hate when people ask for a cigarette (if it is not in a restaurant) in passing by....
Hey, tvadim, can you spare a Prima? How many times a day does someone try to bum a cigarette off you in Moskva? Just curious.

If it hurts to give away your good Sobranies, maybe you could carry a pack of Primas for the poor мужик in need of a nicotine fix?

On the other hand, a simple "Нет" is probably easier.

tvadim133
06-08-2010, 01:01
Hey, tvadim, can you spare a Prima? How many times a day does someone try to bum a cigarette off you in Moskva? Just curious.

If it hurts to give away your good Sobranies, maybe you could carry a pack of Primas for the poor мужик in need of a nicotine fix?

As for how many times per day, it depends (today it was twice).

It is difficult to explain, but if you really need I will try:

there are two ways how a person can take a cigarrete "in bumming":

a. to take from the pack (he can touch other with his finger and it is not good (who know, where these fingers have beeen before)
b. to be given from the owner's hands, actually with two fingers (but it is not polite, because the bumer can not be sure, my finger have been in good place before)

So for me there is no other way, but to refuse.

As for saying just "no", it is not polite as well (for me, at least).

So when you say "no", in order not to offend someone, it is better telling him a polite reason (it is the last, I do not have any more and so on).

P.S. I know, to lie is not good either, but to offend someone is worse.

I would think about buyng Prima specialy for bumers.

Thank you for your advice!

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 01:02

Jack, I think it's a matter of being annoyed rather than being stingy...Personally I dislike being accosted in the street, especially when in a hurry...
If smb stops me asking for directions, I find that ok, and always help them if I can.
But asking for a cigarette doesn't seem to be a good reason for disturbing people in the street. Unless you are a heavy smoker yourself and can share their feeling of dying for a cigarette... ;-)

tvadim133
06-08-2010, 01:04
Jack, I think it's a matter of being annoyed rather than being stingy...Personally I dislike being accosted in the street, especially when in a hurry...
If smb stops me asking for directions, I find that ok, and always help them if I can.
But asking for a cigarette doesn't seem to be a good reason for disturbing people in the street.

Another good reason, not mine!

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 01:29
(who knows, where these fingers have beeen before)

It also refers to our friends, to everybody! LOL

Jack17
06-08-2010, 01:32
But asking for a cigarette doesn't seem to be a good reason for disturbing people in the street. Unless you are a heavy smoker yourself and can share their feeling of dying for a cigarette... ;-)
"Being annoyed?" Well, one can be stingy with more things than cigarettes and money, don't you think?

It's in the smallest things that you can discern large cultural differences. I simply don't know anyone in America that would refuse someone a cigarette under any circumstances. The thought process here is, "If someone needs a cigarette that badly to ask for one, then, really, I should give it to him."

I've spent hundreds, maybe thousands of hours walking here or there in Moskva, and, while I've been asked for directions many times and chatted with over any number of things (usually with strikingly beautiful women), I've never been asked for a cigarette - I've been asked for a light, but not a cigarette. Do you think it's because I'm too intimidating for the average Moskvich :) Anyway, I'm buying a pack of Primas next time I'm in Moskva.

Willy
06-08-2010, 01:47
"Being annoyed?" Well, one can be stingy with more things than cigarettes and money, don't you think?

It's in the smallest things that you can discern large cultural differences. I simply don't know anyone in America that would refuse someone a cigarette under any circumstances. The thought process here is, "If someone needs a cigarette that badly to ask for one, then, really, I should give it to him."

I've spent hundreds, maybe thousands of hours walking here or there in Moskva, and, while I've been asked for directions many times and chatted with over any number of things (usually with strikingly beautiful women), I've never been asked for a cigarette - I've been asked for a light, but not a cigarette. Do you think it's because I'm too intimidating for the average Moskvich :) Anyway, I'm buying a pack of Primas next time I'm in Moskva.

Do you smoke Jack?

They only ask me when I'm smoking.

I was hardly ever asked in the U.S. where butts are $6 a pack now but here all the time, $1 a pack.

Jack17
06-08-2010, 02:16
Do you smoke Jack?

They only ask me when I'm smoking.

I was hardly ever asked in the U.S. where butts are $6 a pack now but here all the time, $1 a pack.
Yes, I smoke and I'm asked every other day for a cigarette. Maybe when you were in the States you smoked Kools or some awful menthol cigarette that no one wanted, I don't know.

So, do people ask you for cigarettes on the street in Moskva and do you give them one; or are you too busy and just say, Мой последний?

Willy
06-08-2010, 03:08
Yes, I smoke and I'm asked every other day for a cigarette. Maybe when you were in the States you smoked Kools or some awful menthol cigarette that no one wanted, I don't know.

So, do people ask you for cigarettes on the street in Moskva and do you give them one; or are you too busy and just say, Мой последний?

That depends, if they're young I say no or if I don't like the way they look. To much like a bum, I don't want to go near those kind.

In the U.S. I smoked Winston Lights like here.

sweetfart
06-08-2010, 04:46

There was a Cosmo (I think, may have been Marie-Claire) poll about 6 or 7 years ago of French women asking them what they thought, among other things, of French men's performance in bed. The answer was, Terrible.
Maybe that's because French men are all full blown homosexuals by the age of 40. :P

I kid, kid. But really, I don't think a very effeminate man could be that great in bed. You would think in theory they'd be better because they would be more in touch with female feelings and what a woman wants. But it is indeed the most obnoxious, chest-beating, maschismo-beats-all macho men that are the best, sadly.

Jack17
06-08-2010, 07:25
Maybe that's because French men are all full blown homosexuals by the age of 40. :P.

French men?

sashadidi
06-08-2010, 08:13

give them Gauloises !!!!! never get asked again!!!

Gypsy
06-08-2010, 08:15
Maybe that's because French men are all full blown homosexuals by the age of 40. :P You do know that for most of the 19th and 20th centuries homosexuality was known on continental europe as "The English Disease".

I kid, kid. But really, I don't think a very effeminate man could be that great in bed. You would think in theory they'd be better because they would be more in touch with female feelings and what a woman wants. But it is indeed the most obnoxious, chest-beating, maschismo-beats-all macho men that are the best, sadly.
Mmm. That is sad.

Raz: I do indeed call Scottish people Scotch, and reactions have been mixed but never aggressive. Why is it called Scotch Whisky as opposed to Irish Whisky for example? One is whisky produced by the Irish, the other that produced by the Scotch.

This is what AJP Taylor has to say on the subject - he did have a bee in his bonnet about Englishness and its disappearance:

“ Some inhabitants of Scotland now call themselves Scots and their affairs Scottish. They are entitled to do so. The English word for both is Scotch, just as we call les français the French and Deutschland Germany. Being English, I use it."

Raz - English girlfriend: true, lovely girl too. But only one, the others in France have been French.

If the english hate the French so much - as this survey suggests - why do 1.5m english choose to live in France? France remains one of the most popular holiday destinations for the British too.

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 09:43
Like this, you mean? ;-)

Actually AndreyS, despite the picture being amusing, it is actually depicting a typical English gentleman 'punting' Great Britain away from La Smell France! :)

But the sentiment is indeed the same! The only problem being that it is pushing GB closer to America! :eek: I am not sure which is worse of the two evils! ;)

BTW, 'punting' is the method used to propel Venetian gondalas or small craft along the waterways of Oxford and Cambridge!

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 09:48
This is what AJP Taylor has to say on the subject - he did have a bee in his bonnet about Englishness and its disappearance:

“ Some inhabitants of Scotland now call themselves Scots and their affairs Scottish. They are entitled to do so. The English word for both is Scotch, just as we call les français the French and Deutschland Germany. Being English, I use it."

I think you'll find that most call themselves Scots and most will correct the English if they foolishly refer to them as a Scottish person! Having lived in Edinburgh for a few years, I quickly learnt that lesson! ;)

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 11:04

Yes, yes, I sussed you out, you are a smoker yourself (no offenSe, pls). ;-)

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 11:06
I think you'll find that most call themselves Scots and most will correct the English if they foolishly refer to them as a Scottish person! Having lived in Edinburgh for a few years, I quickly learnt that lesson! ;)

But how about Scotch Whisky then? ;-)

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 11:07
Actually AndreyS, despite the picture being amusing, it is actually depicting a typical English gentleman 'punting' Great Britain away from La Smell France! :)

But the sentiment is indeed the same! The only problem being that it is pushing GB closer to America! :eek: I am not sure which is worse of the two evils! ;)

BTW, 'punting' is the method used to propel Venetian gondalas or small craft along the waterways of Oxford and Cambridge!

Of the two evils you choose the lesser. ;-)
Thx for "punting" explanation.

Gypsy
06-08-2010, 11:20

No Raz - I know very well that they do, and that is fine, they can call themselves what they like, it is their choice.

But it remains true that the correct word in English, is Scotch.

I too worked for a year in Scotland, and they told me too. I have never met anyone from north of the border who said anything different.

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 17:28
But how about Scotch Whisky then? ;-)

Scotch is a drink, not a person!

Sean Connery has written two books entitled 'Great Scot' and 'Being a Scot'

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26389326

I rest my case! ;)

But, I could also rest my case of Scotch! :p

Gypsy
06-08-2010, 17:38

Sean Connery has written two books entitled 'Great Scot' and 'Being a Scot'

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26389326

I rest my case! ;)

But, I could also rest my case of Scotch! :p

And Sean Connery is scottish. They like to call themselves "Scots". Fine.

It does not change the fact that the correct word, in English, is scotch.

Just as the French call themselves les Francais. We call them French. And we do not say Moskva, we say Moscow. We do not say Deutschland, we say Germany.

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 17:42
Shame on you Gypsy!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

When in Paris, do as the Germans did! ;)

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 17:46
And Sean Connery is scottish. They like to call themselves "Scots". Fine.

It does not change the fact that the correct word, in English, is scotch.

Just as the French call themselves les Francais. We call them French. And we do not say Moskva, we say Moscow. We do not say Deutschland, we say Germany.

'scottish' should be Scottish! :p

'scotch' should be Scotch! :p

Incidentally, I think all Scots speak English as their primary language, at least they did a few years ago when I last visited Murrayfield! ;)

Gypsy
06-08-2010, 17:53
'scottish' should be Scottish! :p

'scotch' should be Scotch! :p

Incidentally, I think all Scots speak English as their primary language, at least they did a few years ago when I last visited Murrayfield! ;)

And like in America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Wales and Ireland there are local differences. Scotland is a different country, they are entitled to call themselves what they like.

I am sticking with AJP Taylor, and refer to them, and their produce as Scotch, because I am English and it is the correct word in that language.

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 18:06
I am sticking with AJP Taylor, and refer to them, and their produce as Scotch, because I am English and it is the correct word in that language.

You are like Stirling Castle; I can see that you won't be budged!

2ndWind
06-08-2010, 19:59
Anyone interested in the "Scotch" vs "Scots" debate might be interested in a related argument in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American

During the colonial period, many thousands of people migrated from Northern Ireland (usually referred to in the UK as "Ulster Scots) to the colonies where they came to be known as "Scotch-Irish". Millions of their American descendants still refer to themselves as "Scotch-Irish".

Now it seems that every time a genealogist posts an entry on a genealogical mailing list or forum, some member of the language police will pounce on the term and explain that it infuriates the Scots and should never be used - insisting that "Scots-Irish" is the proper term.

From the Wiki article:

"The usage "Scots-Irish" is a relatively recent version of the term. The historic and most commonly used term in America is Scotch-Irish, as evident in Merriam-Webster dictionaries, where the term Scotch-Irish is recorded from 1744, while Scots-Irish is not recorded until 1972."

"English language authority Kingsley Amis endorsed the traditional "Scotch-Irish" usage implicitly in The King's English: A Guide to Modern Usage (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1997), noting that nobody says "Scots whisky" or "butterscottish", or plays "hopscots", and that while "Scots" or "Scottish" has for long been preferred in Scotland itself, the traditional English usage, "Scotch", continues to be appropriate in "compounds and set phrases"."

Since my ancestry includes migrants from Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, France, Germany, etc. plus Native American, [I know, "mongrel" ;)] it does make it hard to hate others.

2ndWind
06-08-2010, 20:17
Scotch? Make mine LAPHROAIG 30.

I haven't had the pleasure of LAPHROAIG 30 but I do enjoy LAPHROAIG 10.

Willy
06-08-2010, 20:38
I don't see why they just don't ask Mickey Tong, duh?

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 20:39

TolkoRaz. Is this not a person?

Willy
06-08-2010, 20:42
TolkoRaz. Is this not a person?

It's a guy with whisker drinking Scotch.

AndreyS
06-08-2010, 20:49
It's a guy with whisker drinking Scotch.
Really? I thought it's a Scotch guy drinking sideburns...
Mickey, could you pls help us sort it out?

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 20:52
I haven't had the pleasure of LAPHROAIG 30 but I do enjoy LAPHROAIG 10.

Ah yes, but how do YOU pronounce Laphroaig? :p

The correct way, or the wrong way? ;)

TolkoRaz
06-08-2010, 20:53

Agggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Its not a Scotch guy! :11033:

Willy
06-08-2010, 20:56
Mickey, could you pls help us sort it out?

Good thing he's not smoking!

Judge
06-08-2010, 21:13
Maybe it's

http://www.dailymakeover.com/blogs/positively-beautiful/scotch-tape.jpg

Raz, I gotta agree with Gypsy on this one, the scots are also known as scotch,personally I would say scots.

alouette
06-08-2010, 21:26
Searching results for Scots in The Times:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=scots&sectionId=342&p=tto&pf=all

And for Scotch:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=scotch&sectionId=342&p=tto&pf=all

50:50 (if whisky excluded)

2ndWind
06-08-2010, 22:52
Ah yes, but how do YOU pronounce Laphroaig? :p

The correct way, or the wrong way? ;)

Assuming that the guy (chairman of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society) at http://www.folloder.com/scotch/scotchwords.htm knows how to pronounce the word correctly then I also use the correct pronunciation.

TolkoRaz
07-08-2010, 08:46
A Scottish Soldier in full dress uniform marches into a chemists. Very carefully he opens his sporran and pulls out a neatly folded cotton bandana, unfolds it to reveal a smaller silk square handkerchief, which he also unfolds to reveal a condom. The condom has a number of patches on it. The chemist holds it up and eyes it critically.

"How much to repair it?" the Scot asks the chemist.
"Six pence," says the chemist.
"How much for a new one?"
"Ten pence,"says the chemist.
The Scot painstakingly folds the condom into the silk square handkerchief and the cotton bandana, replaces it carefully in his sporran and marches out of the door, shoulders back and kilt swinging.

A moment or two later the chemist hears a great shout go up outside, followed by an even greater shout.

The Scottish soldier marches back into the chemists and addresses the proprietor, this time with a grin on his face. "The regiment has taken a vote," he says. "We'll have a new one." :D