PDA

View Full Version : visa extension in Russia

shakhoven
29-05-2005, 08:30
Hi everybody,

I hope that somebody at this forum might have an answer for my question. Here's the situation. I am a Russian citizen living in the US. My 5 year-old son was born here, in America and I never applied for his Russian citizenship yet. We need to go to Russia in June. My mother who lives in St.Petersburg, Russia has arranged an invitation letter for my son and I applied for his visa at the Russian Embassy. Unfortunately, the dates that she indicated on her invitation letter donít match the dates on our airline tickets. This simple mishap caused big problems. I indicated on the visa application for my son our traveling dates. However, a Consulate officer called me the other day to let me know that my son wouldn't be able to stay in Russia for as long as we planned due to the discrepancy between the dates on the invitation letter and the dates on my son's application. I never expected such a turn of events, as I never had to apply for a Russian visa. I assumed it would be the same as getting an American visa. American authorities never pay much attention to the dates on the invitation letter. Besides, the dates that the US Consulate puts in the passport are only the entrance dates, not the dates indicating for how long you can stay in the US. Anyway, due to this mishap instead of the planned 5 weeks in Russia my son and I will be able to stay for only 2 weeks. Our airline tickets are non-refundable, of course. The only thing I can do with these tickets is to change the return dates when I am in Russia. My question is this: IS THERE ANY WAY TO EXTEND A RUSSIAN VISA FOR MY SON WHILE WE ARE IN RUSSIA? If the answer is negative, how bad the consequences might be for a 5-year-old child if he overstays his visa for 3 weeks? My guess is that they might be pretty bad, but I would like to hear from people who know for sure.
What course of action would you recommend?
Many thanks,
S.W.

tovarisch
29-05-2005, 10:49
shakhoven, hello
To the best of my knowledge, Russian visas are not extendable within the country (sorry).
I would recommend checking this forum: http://forum.privet.com/index.php? - They may know more regarding your situation.
My corrupted by Soviet upbringing mind suggests either to "lose" your kid's passport and apply for an exit visa (check with the US embassy in St Pete or Moscow how long it takes to issue a new passport and receive an exit visa - maybe it will be exactly three weeks you are looking for); or to acquire a spravka from a hospital stating that your kid had to spend three weeks in the hospital due to emergency (you can show this spravka at the passport control if they notice the date discrepancy when you exit the country).
I am sorry it is all such a pain. Hope you will find a way for your son to have a nice vacation in Russia.

straun
29-05-2005, 12:08
Well, if you are still in the US, you can just apply for a business visa for you son which is good for 3 months. It can be done fairly quickly if you are willing to pay a little extra. The invitation can be purchased through visahouse.com.

shakhoven
29-05-2005, 21:01
shakhoven, hello
To the best of my knowledge, Russian visas are not extendable within the country (sorry).
I would recommend checking this forum: http://forum.privet.com/index.php? - They may know more regarding your situation.
My corrupted by Soviet upbringing mind suggests either to "lose" your kid's passport and apply for an exit visa (check with the US embassy in St Pete or Moscow how long it takes to issue a new passport and receive an exit visa - maybe it will be exactly three weeks you are looking for); or to acquire a spravka from a hospital stating that your kid had to spend three weeks in the hospital due to emergency (you can show this spravka at the passport control if they notice the date discrepancy when you exit the country).
I am sorry it is all such a pain. Hope you will find a way for your son to have a nice vacation in Russia.

Thank you, tovarisch. :) I like your advice to "lose" my son's passport. I am surprised my "corrupted by Soviet upbringing mind":-) didn't come up with something like this. :-) I guess I couldn't think straight at that point.
Thanks again.

shakhoven
29-05-2005, 21:16
Well, if you are still in the US, you can just apply for a business visa for you son which is good for 3 months. It can be done fairly quickly if you are willing to pay a little extra. The invitation can be purchased through visahouse.com.

I tried to arrange a tourist invitation for my son from a visa support agency before, but they didn't recommend this option. They said that the Russian Embassy would definitely turn his visa application down and they suggested that I obtained a private invitation from a relative in Russia. It is so ridiculous! Am I not my son's relative?!! :) I still have "propiska" in St.Petersburg!
Anyway, if a tourist invitation is not a good option for my son, then, I assume, nobody would seriously consider issuing a business visa for a 5-year-old. :)

Thanks for trying to help me. :)

charder
29-05-2005, 22:46
If both of you are coming and staying the entire time together, then I don't why you can't get a 3 month tourist visa.

If you are short on time, enter Russia on the original visa and then go to Finland to get your tourist visa. That's one advantage of living in St Pete.

shakhoven
30-05-2005, 00:39
If both of you are coming and staying the entire time together, then I don't why you can't get a 3 month tourist visa.

If you are short on time, enter Russia on the original visa and then go to Finland to get your tourist visa. That's one advantage of living in St Pete.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about Finland. Could you elaborate, please?

straun
30-05-2005, 00:45
This is Bullsh*t. I got a tourist visa for my daughter when she was 6 months old and I got a business visa for her when she was 10 months old. No problem either time. I am A US citizen and my wife is a Russian Citizen. I suggest you contact visahouse.com or another reputable agency.

shakhoven
30-05-2005, 00:52
I contacted several reputable agencies, and they all gave me the same answer.

As I am a Russian citizen, the Russian embassy will not issue a tourist visa for a five-year-old child.

straun
30-05-2005, 00:58
Of course they will, this is ridiculous. I got a Tourist visa for my daughter from the Consulate in SF, how else do you think kids travel with their parents?