PDA

View Full Version : Linux on an EeePC

forsiti
04-08-2010, 02:38
I have two EeePCs running Linus as an operating system:

701 and a 900.

Both need their instant messenger software updated. Yahoo quit supporting their old versions October 01 2009, and I haven't been able to update them.

The 900 I received with out an operating system disk, and don't know where I can get a new (or download) one.

Any ideas here?

FatAndy
04-08-2010, 17:17
Which version of Linux you have (RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo, etc)?

rumple_stilskin
04-08-2010, 19:43
Hi,

if we all run Ubuntu, which is the best anyway, its easier to help each other - standardisation.

i checked your hardware 701 & 901, no problem, for your netbooks.

here is the link from the www.ubuntu.com website

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks#Asus%20Eee%20901

you need a USB flash disk of 1 GB or larger, that can be erased:
1. download Ubuntu 10.4 Netbook version from www.ubuntu.com
2. install it to the USB flash disk
3. boot the netbook from USB flash disk{with ubuntu 10.4 Netbook version}

do this, and i'll help you with the messanger software.

any questions fire away....

Bels
04-08-2010, 21:33
Agreed. Linux is Ubuntu, and it is completely free. If you have problems burning discs or using a USB memory stick as they call it? Then try working alongside the windows programme you might already be assuming.

Click here and then click the big orange box. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

forsiti
05-08-2010, 03:03
Iím using the standard Xandros distribution that came with the 900 and 701. They are a little different from each other.

I tried running Win XP on the 701 a while back, and there just wasnít enough disk space on the 4 Gb SSD. After loading a laptop ver of XP and Word and Excel 2003, there was about 340 Mb of disk space. It was quickly eaten up by Windows automatic updates. I wound up going in and disabling the automatic updates and deleting the uninstalled updates.

Iím using the standard menu that came with the machines. For web surfing and word processing and spreadsheets, itís fine. I am unable to read Office 2007 files, which is a problem.

As I mentioned, I need to update their instant messenger programs. Yahoo quit supporting the version of Yahoo Instant Messenger on both machines 01 Oct 2009. That is a problem.

Iím waiting for my my VoIP provider to start supporting Linux. Their web site says ďFirst quarter 2010Ē.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get and install a hard drive for a Windows version? Then I could do a dual boot. Be able to run linux, and have my VoIP phone.

Which version of Linux you have (RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo, etc)?

FatAndy
05-08-2010, 10:39
eeepc 900 xandros - ŌÓŤŮÍ ‚ Google

Look here - several links on the top (in Russian) explain how to install Xandros from the flash, maybe newer versions already contain needed messenger and Office doc conversion. If your netbooks have only SSD low cap drives, I'm afraid you'll need to upgrade them (mods description are in the Net) or buy newer ones.

rumple_stilskin
05-08-2010, 14:59
forsiti:

windows...yes you forgot the virus checker which really slows it down again. i doubt is practicle, if at all possible, to install a hard disk after shipping.

for gods sake, don't install xandros, for standardisation go with ubuntu...please.

Who is your voip provider? if they give you the following info
username, password, server ip, stun server
then you can use a voip client that comes with linux, i cannot vouch for the voice quality as i don't use.

yahoo and office 2007 files are all easy with ubuntu.
[note: Excel macros don't run yet in Linux, if you know what they are or need]

Iím using the standard Xandros distribution that came with the 900 and 701. They are a little different from each other.

I tried running Win XP on the 701 a while back, and there just wasnít enough disk space on the 4 Gb SSD. After loading a laptop ver of XP and Word and Excel 2003, there was about 340 Mb of disk space. It was quickly eaten up by Windows automatic updates. I wound up going in and disabling the automatic updates and deleting the uninstalled updates.

Iím using the standard menu that came with the machines. For web surfing and word processing and spreadsheets, itís fine. I am unable to read Office 2007 files, which is a problem.

As I mentioned, I need to update their instant messenger programs. Yahoo quit supporting the version of Yahoo Instant Messenger on both machines 01 Oct 2009. That is a problem.

Iím waiting for my my VoIP provider to start supporting Linux. Their web site says ďFirst quarter 2010Ē.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get and install a hard drive for a Windows version? Then I could do a dual boot. Be able to run linux, and have my VoIP phone.

rumple_stilskin
05-08-2010, 15:10
Bel:

Installing ubuntu from in windows is a very easy way to try out Ubuntu, as they have an installer called Wubi. as you described in the link.

I would not recommend this at all for permanent installation, the virtual hard disk is a file on the windows file system. i even had a friend that had the Ubuntu dissapear for some reason, using this method.

better to go for a dual boot, or delete windows altogether.

Agreed. Linux is Ubuntu, and it is completely free. If you have problems burning discs or using a USB memory stick as they call it? Then try working alongside the windows programme you might already be assuming.

Click here and then click the big orange box. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer